• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
So as you guys are probably aware, we plan on running 3 game modes in RO2 that are currently called:

Realism - designed for hardcore players, realism/tactical players, etc
Relaxed Realism - designed for more casual shooter players
Custom (custom is for when someone modifies settings that will make it not fit in either Realism or Relaxed Realism).

Right now we're thinking that "Relaxed Realism" sounds too "meh" for people to want to play it. So lets hear your ideas. Please don't turn this into a thread for suggesting what should be in each mode, just what there name should be.

I said stay on topic - Ramm

Hey I was on topic!

Ok, ok, here are my revised suggestions:

Realism = Normal
Relaxed Realism = Arcade (I was going to say "Recruit" or "Beginner" but that implies that the player is advised to start with this mode)

It shouldn't matter too much so long as it's obvious that the Realism mode is the way that the game is intended to be experienced and that the differences between the modes are clearly explained e.g. when you mouse-over the options a la Crysis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the only difference is supposedly visual helpers and stuff.

I'd go with something neutral that does not really name any mode but rather says what feeling it conveys.

Server configuration:
Normal
No-Intel (no additional intelligence and visual helpers etc. aka the old hardcore)
Custom

As calling a mode realism gives it an automatic nerd tag in a way, i think that people should find out what game play fits to them without stigmatizing any of the game modes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would suggest names have some historical value.

Perhaps Summer versus Winter as an example

Summer Offensive , Fall , Winter War
*with small mouse overs bringing up text like "Summer Offensive: Get your feet wet for the first time, learn the game and the maps, in this difficulty setting meant for the battle hardened recruits!"
*"Winter War: Nothing but your skill and wits keeps you alive in this difficulty setting meant for those who truly are battle hardened"

Punny:
Call of Bavaria, Call of Stalingrad :D

Whatever you end up going with I would avoid making one called "Relaxed", instead I would call it something along the ideas of normal vs hell. People are so used to games that spoon feed you that keeping to regular names of easy/hard or making a name sound like weaksauce will have them going to the harder mode without actually considering which is better for their abilities...

Upvote 0
I'd say:

Awsome mode.
The Kiddie pool.
Bi-Curious mode.

Wut? You didn't say they had to be good suggestions! :p

I'm going to give this some thought, but in the meantime, it would probably be good if you underlined what will be the key differences between "Realism" and "Relaxed" so we're all on the same page here.

I know that most of this stuff really has to do with the HUD, that's the main difference from what i can tell, but is that the whole difference or what?

Because if it is, then it could quite simply be named:

Minimal HUD.
Full HUD.
Custom.

It doesen't exactly sound sexy though..

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what was the real intention to introduce the "Relaxed Realism" mode, but if the devs consider the "Realism" mode - the way it's meant to be played, and the "Relaxed Realism" mode - an easier version for the people to get familiar with the game, then I'll go with Moyako suggestion:
"Normal" or "Regular" - for realism mode
"Relaxed" or "Starter" - for relaxed realism mode
"Custom" - for the custom configurations

Upvote 0
Realism - designed for hardcore players, realism/tactical players, etc
Relaxed Realism - designed for more casual shooter players
Custom (custom is for when someone modifies settings that will make it not fit in either Realism or Relaxed Realism).

it's a bit difficult trying to name modes when you don't exactly know how they compare to ROOST's gameplay. also, it's important to describe "what's in the mode" if you're attempting to name it......anywho, i'd try something like this:

Standard - the most similar mode to ROOST's original game mode.
Realism - slightly more realistic than ROOST's original game mode with certain HUD items not being included, delayed death messages etc....
Custom - could be more realistic than Realism, or less realistic than Standard.

by labeling something as the Standard game mode, you're defining what the default/intended game mode should be but allow for deviation in either direction from the standard with the other modes. imo, no stock game mode should be any less realistic than ROOST's original...that's just catering to the "COD/BF/MOH" players.

my thoughts......

Upvote 0
Oh, ok. I though the relaxed mode was introduced primarily as an "easier difficulty" mode, so people would shift to the "hardcore" mode after some time playing on the relaxed realism servers.

If that's not the main idea, then I'd try to estimate which mode would be played by the majority, name it "Normal" or "Regular", and name the other one either "Relaxed" or respectively "Realism".

I'd also avoid using the word "Hardcore" as it's kind of hard to define what it exactly means.

Upvote 0
Realism : True Orchestra
Mixed Realism : Call of Orchestra
Custom : Your Orchestra

:D

No really, I think Realism and Custom are OK (Realism = ROI and Custom ... meh Custom !). Then for Mixed Realism, Arcade sounds good, but too callofdutish ... why not something like "training camp" ? ... in fact arcade sounds cool now :eek:

Upvote 0