• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

simple.....there shouldn't be a significantly "lesser than Classic" variant game mode.

i appreciate that you liked my suggestion for Classic, but it seems as though we both might have different ideas of what "Classic" is......i would expect this to be as close to the original RO mode as possible, with maybe a few of the newer helpful "additions" added. i would imagine "Realism" to be more realistic than the traditional, Classic RO game mode. for years people said that the default RO game mode wasn't realistic enough due to things like death messages, stance indicator, compass, map, HUD items etc... so for this "Realism" mode, i was under the impression that it'd be more realistic than RO's original. but there's really no place for anything less "realistic" than RO's classic game mode....that can be what "Custom" is for ;)

I doubt that the realistic setting will have DM off.

Maybe kill distance info off, but DM? I doubt it. That would be custom.

Upvote 0
The suggestions below suck, I like the ones I made in the post below much better

I like:

Hardcore
Casual
Custom

Hardcore because it's what other game series use and so people will recognize it instantly for what it is.

Casual because it lets people know that it's probably an "easier" mode without making them feel stupid for playing it or implying they should start with that mode.

Custom well... what else would you call it lol?

Or if you wanna be more original...

Rattenkrieg (with a brief description obviously so people know what it means when it comes to settings---even though many players will not know what the word means it sounds cool and they'll learn a bit of history... other games have done this no problem---off the top of my head Age of Empires with the Mamelukes, Trebuchets, etc.)
Skirmish (this would be the casual/easier setting)
Custom

OR:

Frostbite/Freeze (Frostbite might be seen as a ripoff of DICE's engine name)
Chill (both less cold than "freeze" and chill implies "relaxed" :))
Custom

(yes yes I know not all of Stalingrad was fought in the snow but that's what everyone thinks about when they think about Stalingrad)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awareness
Immersion
Custom

Or:

HUD Options:
Full
Minimalist
Custom

Or:

Complete
Raw
Custom

Or

Assisted
Unassisted
Custom

It says what it does, and does not imply anything.
But if you want to imply difficulty:

Starter/Recruit
Experienced/Veteran
Custom

Or just add a subtitle to the other modes:

Awareness/Full:
Enables all HUD elements, recommended for players who are new to Red Orchestra, or simply want a more relaxed laid back experience.
Immersion/Minimalist: Disables most HUD elements, recommended for players who are familiar with the game and want a more immersive and tough experience.
Custom

I like those three. Though I wouldn't use "complete" as that implies the others are incomplete. Also I'd use Full HUD not just "Full". Same with Minimalist etc.

I still think using some kind of historical names would be the coolest though. (with thorough descriptions when you mouse over of course) It gives flavor to the game. Players and reviewers alike enjoy those kind of simple touches.

Maybe:

For Ruskies:

Realism >> "Guards Mechanized Division" (elite and better equipped unit) or "Penal Unit" or "Gulag" (my favorite :D, and one that most people would immediately recognize)
Relaxed Realism >> "Rifle division"
Custom >> "Razvedchiki" (I really can't think of something else historical that would fit this other than NKVD but that raises too many redflags)

I very much like the idea of having separate names depending on what side you choose.

For Germans:

Realism >> "Panzergrenadier" or "Sturmkompanie" (again more "elite" and better equipped unit)
Relaxed Realism >> "Volkssturm" or "Volksgrenadier" (implies it's easier without making people feel stupid because anything with "sturm" in it sounds badass---and yes I know there were no Volkssturm units at Stalingrad)
Custom >> "Wehrwolf" is the only thing I could think of for this... either that or custom

People aren't as stupid as you think they are and again many very popular games have used historical names etc. for units instead of some bland English relabeling. And again, it gives the game FLAVORRRRR!!! (which is so important IMO and can make the difference between a great game and an all time classic)

The way it would play out is... for example, you mouse over "Panzergrenadier mode" and immediately a nice, visually appealing tooltip comes up that explains "A more realistic mode for hardened veterans!"

I definitely would NOT use classic as that sorta implies "old and outdated". Also I would not use "Standard" for any mode as that will make most players jump to that mode which will result in bad things happening. (if it's the harder setting that's "standard", people will give up easily, if it's the easy mode that's "standard" it'll tick off the realism nuts and make it less likely for people to eventually go to the harder setting once they've learned the game mechanics). Arcade is also a bad idea IMO because it implies that people should play that mode like they would TF2 or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: ductape3
Upvote 0
Realism--> Classic Mode - blablabla... like RO:OST.
relaxed Realism--> Default Mode -
Custom--> Custom Mode -
I like this. Although it should be default/realism, classic/relaxed realism. My reason for this is that RO OST had kill messages and a limited HUD, making this the "classic" gameplay mode, while restricting HUD further and not showing K/D messages should be "default" as it is most realistic.

Upvote 0
Classic
Casual
Custom

I like this or a slightly more informative variant

Classic RO - Limited HUD
Casual - Full HUD
Custom - Custom HUD

While there is a connotation with "Casual", it's a pretty accurate one and I don't think it's offensive.

Or, just describe the HUD as was suggested earlier, that's all we're talking about pretty much anyway, or is it more than that?

Upvote 0
I like this. Although it should be default/realism, classic/relaxed realism. My reason for this is that RO OST had kill messages and a limited HUD, making this the "classic" gameplay mode, while restricting HUD further and not showing K/D messages should be "default" as it is most realistic.

see, if there was a "Classic" mode (as I and others have described) it should be as similar to ROOST's original as possible, as that's what is "classic" about it given that well, it was the original. and since that was RO's "default", i believe it should also be RO2's default.

imo, ROOST was more casual than realistic if you're comparing it to say, COD and ARMA.....not quite as realistic as ARMA, not quite as casual as COD, just a unique blend. this, i believe should be the default "Classic" mode for RO2. granted there could be some slight additions to the HUD that ROOST didn't have, but that's ok to an extent so long as it's close to the original.

to me when i hear "Realism" i think of this mode being more realistic than the original RO.....i can't really remember any major outcry saying RO needed to be LESS realistic, but there was a minority of players saying the opposite that RO needed to be more realistic. so in that case, set up a more realistic mode for RO2 to cater to those players. if there's really anyone who wants a less realistic mode than Classic, then let them do what they want with "Custom". but i'd really estimate that the large majority of players, say 75-80%, would be in favor and end up playing the "Classic" mode which would be like the original RO.

I doubt that the realistic setting will have DM off.

Maybe kill distance info off, but DM? I doubt it. That would be custom.

if the "Classic" mode would be implimented as i have described, then it'd be like the original RO where full instant DM would be on by default. if a "Realism" mode is implimented as i have described, then i'd hope for delayed DM to be on by default for that mode. but say for people who'd want it even more realistic, then they could use Custom to just turn off DM completely ;)

Reactions: Zips
Upvote 0
This isn't the thread for debate about whether or not a mode should or should not be included based on what you personally think. Nor what the game modes should include based on what you think they should right now.

This is a thread about naming suggestions for the mode the developers have created and are including in their game. Feel free to get back to the major topic at hand.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
This is a thread about naming suggestions for the mode the developers have created and are including in their game. Feel free to get back to the major topic at hand.

if they can't give us more detailed descriptions of what is included in the modes (i.e. what HUD settings are for each mode), then how can we suggest an appropriate title? very vague descriptions leaves us with having to speculate....

nothing has been off topic and all is relevant to the topic at hand. you can't merely name something without describing the reasoning behind the name. it would be like naming this thread....."thread".....doesn't tell you much does it? :p

too late, Bro.

;)

honestly, i totally missed your post and didn't even read it lol :eek::D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zips
Upvote 0
if they can't give us more detailed descriptions of what is included in the modes (i.e. what HUD settings are for each mode), then how can we suggest an appropriate title? very vague descriptions leaves us with having to speculate....

nothing has been off topic and all is relevant to the topic at hand. you can't merely name something without describing the reasoning behind the name. it would be like naming this thread....."thread".....doesn't tell you much does it? :p
You already know the basics of each game mode. Nobody else seems to have had this sort of issue as you. They're merely asking for naming conventions, really not that difficult.

Don't double post either.

Upvote 0
So as you guys are probably aware, we plan on running 3 game modes in RO2 that are currently called:

Realism - designed for hardcore players, realism/tactical players, etc
Relaxed Realism - designed for more casual shooter players
Custom (custom is for when someone modifies settings that will make it not fit in either Realism or Relaxed Realism).

Right now we're thinking that "Relaxed Realism" sounds too "meh" for people to want to play it. So lets hear your ideas. Please don't turn this into a thread for suggesting what should be in each mode, just what there name should be.

Realism -> Total War
Relaxed Realism -> Blitzkrieg

Upvote 0
You already know the basics of each game mode. Nobody else seems to have had this sort of issue as you.

That's obviously not true, atleast 3 or 4 sepperate posters have asked for more details in this thread, myself included, because we only have a vague idea about what's different between the two, and no idea what exactly can be altered in the custom mode, that really hasen't been disgussed.

All we know is that it's supposedly mostly HUD related, but aside from that, it's all speculation on our part.

Upvote 0
That's obviously not true, atleast 3 or 4 sepperate posters have asked for more details in this thread, myself included, because we only have a vague idea about what's different between the two, and no idea what exactly can be altered in the custom mode, that really hasen't been disgussed.

All we know is that it's supposedly mostly HUD related, but aside from that, it's all speculation on our part.

And no/delayed death messages.

I'd say they've said more than enough about the game modes to suggest names lol.

Why complain? I mean how many dev teams post a topic like this?

I keep seeing people saying it's only HUD. It's not, it's HUD, death messages, and scoreboard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why complain? I mean how many dev teams post a topic like this?

What makes it "complaining"?

I just think it would be helpfull to know more so we're all on the same page, and looking at some of the suggestions, it seems not everyone has the same understanding of what the differen't modes are supposed to accomplish..

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0