• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guadal Canal Mission/Map?

I think that's what people are saying as well. Any Japanese forum members have any input?

While fun for the Americans, I really don't see the idea of an entire game to be devoted toward endless waves of Japanese machine gun fodder being fun for those on the Japanese team. If bonsai charges are implemented, I would think that a Guadalcanal map would be the best place to do it. At least most of the Americans would be shooting bolt actions and the Japanese might stand a decent chance. I don't know, I'm sure the devs could find some way to make it fun :D

Upvote 0
If I want a group of Japanese soldiers running at me at 'every' corner shouting "Banzai", I'll play WaW and rip more of my hair out.

A lot of IJA history has been swept under the rug. Demonized extensively to the point where I am having a hell of a time trying to find ANYTHING on the IJA in the pacific theatre. Both soldiers from the United States Marine Corps and the Imperial Japanese Army deserve to be represented correctly at least for their sakes.

tl;dr - No 'zombie modes' with countless charging Japanese.

Upvote 0
A lot of IJA history has been swept under the rug. Demonized extensively to the point where I am having a hell of a time trying to find ANYTHING on the IJA in the pacific theatre.

IMO, The Military History Channel does a pretty good job I think on portraying Japanese thinking and culture of the time period. They have interviews with people who were there, from both sides.

Both soldiers from the United States Marine Corps and the Imperial Japanese Army deserve to be represented correctly at least for their sakes.

In that case lets hope they portray instances like the Bataan Death March correctly as well.

Upvote 0
While fun for the Americans, I really don't see the idea of an entire game to be devoted toward endless waves of Japanese machine gun fodder being fun for those on the Japanese team. If bonsai charges are implemented, I would think that a Guadalcanal map would be the best place to do it. At least most of the Americans would be shooting bolt actions and the Japanese might stand a decent chance. I don't know, I'm sure the devs could find some way to make it fun :D

I don't know if it wouldn't be entirely abysmal for the Japanese team.
The Japanese team would have to co-ordinate attacks to make sure that they don't get cut to ribbons. Also, if the American side was equipped with only two fixed heavy M1917 Brownings (possibly with limited ammo) and bolt actions (with the rare sub-machine gun, this could be balanced in an interesting way.

INTRIGUING :eek:

Upvote 0
After playing RO2, it is not difficult to shoot a machine gunner who is currently spraying you without much trouble even if he is firing out of a small hole. If there are 10 Japanese soldiers in front of this gun, I think if anything the machine gunner would be decimated and overrun very quickly not the other way round. People are not afraid to stick their heads over and easily kill a guy with the perfectly iron sights in this game, despite changing stances, sprinting or being suppressed.

10 Arisakas vs 1 Browning, I put my money on the rifles.

Plus, as soon as this one (or a couple) of machine gunners covering the area are killed the objective is then taken and the defensive value is meaningless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
10 Arisakas vs 1 Browning, I put my money on the rifles.

Plus, as soon as this one (or a couple) of machine gunners covering the area are killed the objective is then taken and the defensive value is meaningless.

Odds are these blokes were carrying Arisakas. Alligator Creek - Battle of the Tenaru.
GuadTenaruSandbar.jpg

Upvote 0
Odds are these blokes were carrying Arisakas. Alligator Creek - Battle of the Tenaru.

I guess reading the part where I am saying that in terms of how the game works a lot would need to be changed in order to make the realistic defensive value of a machine gun position actually worth something must have slipped your gaze, so I've reiterated it for you. No problem.

Upvote 0