• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Compiled list of *good* suggestions from RO for ROHOS

smokeythebear

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sheppards house
I can only speak for myself, but I think most of the community would agree that ROHOS should stick to the same 'base game' as ROOST, only improve upon it greatly.

Here's a compiled list of suggestions that are either my own or found in the RO section.

Infantry gameplay

-Bullet penetration
-Three firing stances (hip/shoulder/sights)
-MG able to duck and stay deployed (and reload?)
-Improve weapon pickup system
-more intense suppression
-Improve weapon pickup system
-rolling when prone (with strafe)
-Improved melee (animations and hit detection)
-Hit detection, first/third person animations synchronized (!)
- Interruptible animations (ability to run when a nade launches next to you no matter if you are reloading or whatever. [but not making it that you can reload faster that way])

Infantry aesthetic

-ragdoll fadetime as clientside option
-Bullet scarring (on world and player)
-1st person model of legs/torso
-More camo/uniform types (Soviet greatcoat/naval, German winter/Fallschirmj

Last edited:
all greaat suggestions.

-More support for (very active) competitive community

YES YES YES.

there is already a huge competitive foundation for the new game considering the remaining clans in Ostfront (still a large amount of clans) will all most likely move into the new game and new clans will be popping up like crazy. a well organized central home for competition and SUPPORT from TWI would be huge for this community. shall we take what we all have learned over the past 3 years of playing RO and work to improve for RO:2 ?

Upvote 0
Very good list. I'd like to add a few things that have been talked about a few times:

-vaulting/mantling/climbing (nothing spiderman-like, but a knee-high wall shouldn't be an impassable obstacle)
-environment should affect movement of infantry and vehicles (slower movement different animations and higher stamina-cost for sprinting in deep snow, high grass and up-hill; vehicles have problems travelling in mud, etc. Nothing ridiculous like tripping like some screaming chick in a serial killer movie...)
-3d voice commands (ie, not everyone on the map hears your warning for a grenade you are about to lob into a room, but only the people near you and said room)

Not as important:
-less abstract grenades. Ie, real shrapnel simulation.
-being able to pick up and throw grenades from the floor + slightly random fuses
-melee besides using firearms as clubs or with bajo (ie, hands, knees, unattached bajos, helmets, etc. Just pick something so long as people who lost their weapon somehow can still kill)

Reactions: 11_HARLEY_11
Upvote 0
-Sticky cover :(

So far, cover system has been done wrong in most games if not all of them, but I wouldn't jump into early judgements, we have to see how it plays first. The reviewer said it feels nice and realistic, and remember that we are talking about TWI, one of the companies with less gameplay choice screw ups.

remember TWI, what we don't want to see is:

people surviving behind a wooden cover (that implicates there has to be bullet penetration)

AND

people that even when you can see a small exposed part of them and you shoot them there you just can't kill em because "they are under cover" (Remember BIA)

-real AI (even more pro then Ramm and friends)

Impossible

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These are all confirmed from article;

[...]
-Bandaging non-fatal wounds
[...]
hopefully, this bandaging works intuitive. Otherwise it turns into button mashing. I remember for Ostfront and the mod, it was said fatal wounds result in respawn, as the soldier is turned helpless.
Let's hope bandaging will only play a minor role.

Upvote 0
Remember that bullet penetration along with realistic bullet ballistics will put servers on their knees. I read there was a case with RO:OST where it was decided not to have bullet penetration in the game due to servers going wild after having both features implemented.

that was in UE2.5, we don't know if UE3 will support it and/or they managed to add it in a way that it doesnt kill the server.

if its not possible we'll have to live with it, but anyway, I'm more worried about the second one, if I can see a part of the enemy I should be able to hit it even if he is under cover, most cover systems make people completely untouchable from the front and thats not a good thing

Upvote 0
Remember that bullet penetration along with realistic bullet ballistics will put servers on their knees. I read there was a case with RO:OST where it was decided not to have bullet penetration in the game due to servers going wild after having both features implemented.

I read that a lot on these forums, but I think it's quite possible. There was a bullet penetration mod for Ostfront and the few times I've played on that server, it worked fine. Quite a lot of multiplayer games have bullet penetration these days, and ideally, RO should have it too. It's a huge addition to the gameplay if you can just pepper someone's wooden cover with bullets and kill an enemy.

As for the cover system, I'm very excited about that. However, I also hope you can still "normally" lean around the corner and rest your weapon against the wall or doorpost to soften recoil like in RO:O. As long as you can still be shot when you show yourself while using the cover system, and as long as it can be easily cancelled, I think it would be a great addition. And it's first-person, so it's not a case of "magically look around the corner while not showing yourself and pointing and clicking on the enemy".

Upvote 0
Full head tracker support to let the characters turn their heads in the direction the player is looking to. For all characters even when they're looking outside the tank turrets.

Another suggestion is about the tanks themselves:

Please let tanks behave like tanks not like RC toys. They are heavy, slow and LOUD. Please make better shoot animations, perhaps this one is a good sample:

YouTube - Jagdpanther Firing

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Your forgetting one thing UE3 has multi-core support, so if TW dont implement bullet penetration its either lack of time or some other reason.

Upvote 0
The first person cover system could be a good addition if done right.
There have been some instances in RO where i stood in a hallway while a bit of wall is slightly sticking out.
In Ostfront you cant use that for cover, you stand side to side with it but what if you could press your back against the wall to minimize your target behind this small bit of wall that is sticking out?
However, the slightest movement should release you from this, i seriously dont want to press a button to detach myself from the wall.
If i step sideways, i could remain pressed to the walls, but if i press 'forward' i should immediately detach and move forward.
Or if you quickly turn your body around to sprint away, you could get detached as well, similar to weapon resting in Ostfront. Slow movement is staying to the wall, quick movement means get the hell out of there!

Upvote 0
More Smoke/Dust/ Gritty atmosphere
If anyone has played the smoke mod for empire total war then you will see how just a bit more smoke makes the battlefield so much more immersive. Although it might kill low end computers.

As sais before tank exit/entry animations would be class, stopping those bailers (well not stopping but more chance to mg them down).
And hopefully a better tank system a bit like CC where you have crew penetration, cracked optics, turret jams. If CC can do it surely you can too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Love RO , my fav game, I play on the wild bunch 50 man, cant get off it

Here are some of my improvements

*Tanks need to be more brutal ,they look and move flimsey IMO, suspension needs to be introduced per tank
*The K98 skin needs to be changed to a non-russian capture skin
*The K98 sniper needs to have the safety changed from safe to armed
*Lose all the 2 graphics,smoke,fire etc
*More trees (forests) that soldiers can go into and hide, not like the 2d backdrops on big maps
*Imperial building/city maps need to have most of the buildings to be accessible for defence not just a couple
*2 iron sights mode, rear and front (like Rnl)
*More vicious bayonetting animations, not just a prod to check for patatoes,a stab,slash,carve and twist.
*Add mortar positions to be used by certain classes on small maps wo arty
*Lay tank mines on tank maps ?
*Fixed mg positions with limited ammo (unlike COD)
*More spare barrels for the Mger
*Pickup interface needs to be changed,currently you go to pick up a pistol and you end up with explosives and an Mp40

Cant wait for the new game !!

I have done some RO tribute vids on youtube, as I own 3 of the guns in the game, just youtube pintof****e and you will get my channel :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbNuTbgkis

Upvote 0
One of the sensations I like more is when I start playing a new map.

It is only because you need to find good places to be and to help your team killing and not dying, and capping as well.

When you have played that map 10 times, all people knows the good places, and the map can be boring again. You go anywhere and you know where you must go and where are your enemies going to be just because there are good places to be...

It can be great if buildings are affected by explosives, tanks or arty and ground as well. That can make a big difference with Ro1. If enemy is in a building, lets take arty on it..., if the enemy sniper is allways going to the same place, blow it up with a sachel...

That would give us a new map every time we play the game...

PLEASE, MAKE BUILDINGS AND EVERITHING ABLE TO BE AFFECTED BY EXPLOSIONS...

(Sorry for my bad english)...

Upvote 0