• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS please remove flame thrower role from Americans

Not only is there no grip they weigh 20-50% more than a bar, add the fact that there is no grip, and it is unbalanced. Besides do you really think someone could handle a 200+ degree barrel with just a cloth, the cloth would either burn, or transmit the heat to the holder. Not very pleasant to say the least. Also would you willing run around with 22 pound Machine gun, with the hand that takes all the weight underneath a blisteringly hot barrel?
Realism isn't the problem, its balance. I'm just pointing out the realism aspect. You really want the japanese to have MG's with scopes, and with bayonets? And give them the banzai, and grenade usage? I Don't see how you say there isn't balance, there is, and you suggesting this would be tipping the balance completely.

We aren't talking about 100% realism this is a game so keep it real. We want balance for the sake of balance, even if it means to cut some realism from it. My point is instead of removing the flamethrower from americans why not add the ability to go into iron sights for the Type 96/99, to give the japs more firepower. It would be more balanced also I don't think weight is a problem, if you are trained well enough, just look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_QF5Jtuug

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwu3ivAJ68U

also if they could fire a Bren what would they stop them to fire a Type 99 like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgu9WT8zH0

Upvote 0
Also the game doesn't tend to 100 % realism, I mean even if the weapon is heavy you can fire it from as like any position you want. As like the M1917 Browning machine which weight around 50 kg's was hip fired during a japanese bansai charge. In this game you can't look into iron sights and fire with a heavy weapon even for a few seconds, I know it depends on the type of person you are and how trained you are but the game has severe limitations. Also you can't put the bypod on someones back to stabilize it.

Upvote 0
We aren't talking about 100% realism this is a game so keep it real. We want balance for the sake of balance, even if it means to cut some realism from it. My point is instead of removing the flamethrower from americans why not add the ability to go into iron sights for the Type 96/99, to give the japs more firepower. It would be more balanced also I don't think weight is a problem, if you are trained well enough, just look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_QF5Jtuug

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwu3ivAJ68U

also if they could fire a Bren what would they stop them to fire a Type 99 like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgu9WT8zH0

*Facepalm* Giving the japanese an "Automatic Rifle", with MG suppression, MG stats, 30+ round mag, and not to mention scopes, and bayonets is moronic. Dumbest thing you could do is give that to a faction, and tip the balance completely.
1st video, and second video, those don't prove anything, besides the fact that someone can hold up a PTRS and aim it momentarily, or hip-fire an heavy mg. (not sure why you even added that in, it doesn't add to your argument.) No soldier can lug around a PTRS like a BAR, momentarily, and incredibly innacurately aim it, yes, for about a second.
3rd video proves nothing, like Lemonater mentioned, SIDE GRIP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also the game doesn't tend to 100 % realism, I mean even if the weapon is heavy you can fire it from as like any position you want. As like the M1917 Browning machine which weight around 50 kg's was hip fired during a japanese bansai charge. In this game you can't look into iron sights and fire with a heavy weapon even for a few seconds, I know it depends on the type of person you are and how trained you are but the game has severe limitations. Also you can't put the bypod on someones back to stabilize it.

Lolno, they don't. They weighed that much when you add the tripod. It weighs half as much without it.

*Facepalm* Giving the japanese an "Automatic Rifle", with MG suppression, MG stats, 30+ round mag, and not to mention scopes, and bayonets is moronic. Dumbest thing you could do is give that to a faction, and tip the balance completely.

I agree. The MG shouldn't be shoulder fired, but the flamethrower shouldn't be on defense. FFS, they removed the Garand from the Guadalcanal map, yet they still allow flamethrowers, which do nothing but sit behind a bunker or in a bush, wait for the enemy to occupy that bunker or run past that bush and let out a short stream of flame. It requires zero skill and is just plain annoying. Everyone saying that the "knee mortar" is comparable is wrong. The "knee mortar" requires skill to use and the blast radius is now ridiculously tiny while flamers can shoot flame around walls and set themselves on fire without killing themselves. Plus, it's an extreme hazard for your own team as TKing on accident is super easy with the flamethrower while in defense.

Upvote 0

Sources Please...
Second thing about heavy weapons, it's impractical, even if you were to aim in for a few seconds, it would be very inaccurate not to mention painful, and stressful. Aiming into the sights doesn't mean accuracy. I really don't understand why you continue to push this, despite the fact that several people have pointed out the fact that is:
A. Not-realistic (ie either next to impossible, or very impractical)
AND
B. Game Balancing issues (giving the Japanese a "BAR" with MG stats with a scope, and bayonet)
Sure I've heard of the bipod on the back, but only in the Wehrmacht. That would be incredibly difficult to add in, not worth the time, and next to useless. You cannot move in that position.

Upvote 0
Lolno, they don't. They weighed that much when you add the tripod. It weighs half as much without it.

I agree. The MG shouldn't be shoulder fired, but the flamethrower shouldn't be on defense. FFS, they removed the Garand from the Guadalcanal map, yet they still allow flamethrowers, which do nothing but sit behind a bunker or in a bush, wait for the enemy to occupy that bunker or run past that bush and let out a short stream of flame. It requires zero skill and is just plain annoying. Everyone saying that the "knee mortar" is comparable is wrong. The "knee mortar" requires skill to use and the blast radius is now ridiculously tiny while flamers can shoot flame around walls and set themselves on fire without killing themselves. Plus, it's an extreme hazard for your own team as TKing on accident is super easy with the flamethrower while in defense.
In my experience, the Japanese team requires more coordination, skill, and finesse in weapon use. (Which is one of the reasons I like to play Axis on RS maps.) It takes time to use their weapons, but when you learn how to use the knee mortar effectively, you can rack up 2x as many kills as a flamethrower.

Upvote 0
In my experience, the Japanese team requires more coordination, skill, and finesse in weapon use. (Which is one of the reasons I like to play Axis on RS maps.) It takes time to use their weapons, but when you learn how to use the knee mortar effectively, you can rack up 2x as many kills as a flamethrower.

the problem is is that:

Great Japanese team< good American team

and so on and so on. evenly matched teams in skill level usually mean an american win. Then, if you're playing campaign the american team can pick the maps balanced to Japanese attack and just wreck with their firepower. there's a reason you always see a lot of beito, Hanto, or any other map that japan is supposed to attack on.

Upvote 0