• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give Classic a try, part 2

The sway when going into iron sights with no stamina could perhaps be toned down a bit, sure. It is quite drastic, but you can certainly shoot across a room with no stamina at the moment. The idea, however, is a good one.

EDIT: And it doesn't change the fact that the other changes have made Classic far and away more refined than it was before. It's the most authentic game experience you can get, if you're looking to feel like you're actually fighting the war in the Pacific or on the Eastern Front.

The weapons feel real, the pace is slower, more tense. I even find that it encourages better teamplay, since it's more difficult to be a one-man army holding down a flank or cap alone.

Oh, and one point on attacking versus defending--remember that this update changed the run speed of Classic. As defenders will typically be sitting still anyway, this generally rebalances in favor of attackers since they now move faster and are thus somewhat harder to hit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why do you guys like all of this realistic stuff and then want your weapons realism dumbed down into oblivion and your sight (shift) purposely made less than it is in RL?

The graphics in this game aint the greatest and add smoke and such and it really hurts the eyes to pick up detail that would be readily there to the naked eye in real life.

Upvote 0
Why do you guys like all of this realistic stuff and then want your weapons realism dumbed down into oblivion and your sight (shift) purposely made less than it is in RL?

The graphics in this game aint the greatest and add smoke and such and it really hurts the eyes to pick up detail that would be readily there to the naked eye in real life.

Oh I don't know.. every time I shouldered my M4 in the Army after running around like a moron...well it never went 30 degrees off to the left!

Upvote 0
Being fairly new to this game I have only experienced classic mode on how it is now. I find it a lot more enjoyable then realism mode, both in actual game play and (so far) in the player base. Although I don't have many bad experiences with the overall player base to begin with.

I love shooters but I really dislike the atmosphere that is present there and I really enjoy team effort, having played (up till late 2009) in the top of the raiding scene in WoW I always felt that similar team efforts should be doable in a shooter, probably happens in clans but you never see it present on the surface in a satisfying way, RO2 does have this, and classic mode excels, can't wait to participate in a clan setting with proper commucation and leadership.

Upvote 0

I think the argument here is, while it's not as realistic to see so poorly, it does foster more realistic behavior. When you can't see / zoom in so much, you are forced to play more cautiously, use more cover, and move more tactically to get into better positions.

Upvote 0
I think the argument here is, while it's not as realistic to see so poorly, it does foster more realistic behavior. When you can't see / zoom in so much, you are forced to play more cautiously, use more cover, and move more tactically to get into better positions.

I think the main argument isn't against the ability to see things good. The main argument is that seeing things with more detail on the same monitor comes at the cost of your field of view. (a human got a fov of about 180 degrees, in zoomed mode you have about 45 degrees, this means that when you are zoomed in you only see an area 1/16th of what you would see in real life, with a 90 degree fov this would be 1/4th.)

From a realistic perspective.
- This means that when seeing things with good details your actual fov is very low which is unrealistic.
- It means that to obtain a wide fov you need to switch between 2 modes, which is unrealistic
- In RO2 you can only zoom when standing still, which means that the game says that when running you see everything smaller than when standing still. This is unrealistic as well.

From a gameplay perspective.
- With zoom and a lower fov, you need to use your mouse to look around to see most of the scene. If you play on a wider fov you can use the muscles of your eyes to quickly move around and get a glance of the entire screen area and battlefield.
- The fov you obtain when holding shift, is similar to the fov you have with sniper rifles in a lot of games. This combined with the inability to zoom when moving, makes the game feel similar to playing on a sniper only server in old games such as RO1, TF2, CS:S. Now while this is a personal point but personally I never liked sniper only servers in those kind of games.

I like to quicky assess the situation and move on, rapidly looking all around me. The ability to zoom while moving in games like ARMA at least allow you to focus on expected problem areas so you can look out for it. But in RO2 you can only zoom in when still, which makes the functionality gameplay wise not that different from using a key for binoculars or a scope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But to be honest. Zoom will never fix any problems. People with a 24" screen (and maybe ultra settings) will every time see more and better than other player with 17" screen. If both use the zoom they both will see better in the distance, and both in the same ratio. So the result is the 24" player will see better than the 17" player... so nothing is won.

If you have the feeling other player can see more than you, you need a new PC (or just a larger screen) maybe :rolleyes:

About the distance. Sure, without zoom 20m seems like 50m (e.g.) but who tells you about the distance? Do you know every single step of your character in game? (1 step = 1 m e.g.) No I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far, I think the sway is believable at all stamina level except completely depleted.

Yeah it does go a bit bizarre when you're totally out of stamina. I find myself often cowering in a corner hiding until my stamina regains a little.

Oddly find myself using a the katana a lot more now. Increased speed helps, and depleted stamina won't stop you cleaving someone in two with a sword :p.

Upvote 0
Wow.

I've not played RO2 for a couple of months....not through any conscious dislike of the game, I've just not had much time to sit and plays games for ages.

Saw a quick post mentioning the improved classic mode was now release and has just been playing for 10 minutes.

Must say, I'm very impressed! The game feels more challenging but also more natural. Is there a changelog around that I can browse through? Haven't had a chance to have a proper play yet, but I'm hoping this invigorates the classic community a little :)

Upvote 0
I take a lot more risks in Classic and get away with it. Maybe it's because I know most folk aren't used to the sway and will miss me. :p

Hip-fire is useful still. Especialy fun with the LMG's although the upped recoil does make it harder.

Two issues (for me) at the moment though:
1. The recoil when deployed with the LMG's seems to kick up a little too much for my tastes. First shot hits fine, then the second is already lined up well above the guy I was shooting, at roughly 50 metres.

2. Can't switch weapons after a sprint for a second or so. A minor niggle but I spam the weapon change keys a lot because of it, often skipping over the weapon I want to use.

Upvote 0
Nice posts by Zets and Kleist, which tell the same story of why I think zoom is not a good idea in FPS games (besides for ... scopes!).

Cwivey, I recommend to not use previous and next weapon keys, and instead bind keys to specific weapon slots (goes for every fps game).

As for Classic, still haven't gotten the change to play it yet... dang.

Upvote 0
Plays out really great so far, it's (of course) RO2's best mode :)

One thing I'd really like to see would be an option for certain "unlocks" or variants of a weapon, e.g. the removal of the K98k's sight hood. It'd be great if one could choose between those variants, excluding "unrealistic" options like the dual-mag MP40 and such.
That's the only preferable aspect when playing realism mode :(

Upvote 0