• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give Classic a try, part 2

To the OP. Rifles feel like pop guns with no kick in classic mode.
The weapons feel very gamey. But that is just my personal opinion.
Realism mode (which has the realistic weapons according to the devs) seems to portray the actual weapons the way they were.
The other thing that classic mode gave me was head aches from squinting at the screen trying to identify things that I would easily see at the same distance in real life.

Some classic mode features like weapons sway maybe should be ported to realism mode. But most of it is just an artificial dumbing down for those too used to ro1 to change imho. Those who would like to fire endlessly at each other to simulate much larger things. I say to them there is simply no need at the RO2 maps are huge.

Give me reduced automatic weapons from classic and give me better wound damage. But don't destroy my weapon authenticity. Classic mode weapons feel like BB guns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To the OP. Rifles feel like pop guns with no kick in classic mode.
The weapons feel very gamey. But that is just my personal opinion.
Realism mode (which has the realistic weapons according to the devs) seems to portray the actual weapons the way they were.
The other thing that classic mode gave me was head aches from squinting at the screen trying to identify things that I would easily see at the same distance in real life.

Some classic mode features like weapons sway maybe should be ported to realism mode. But most of it is just an artificial dumbing down for those too used to ro1 to change imho. Those who would like to fire endlessly at each other to simulate much larger things. I say to them there is simply no need at the RO2 maps are huge.

Give me reduced automatic weapons from classic and give me better wound damage. But don't destroy my weapon authenticity. Classic mode weapons feel like BB guns.

As someone with plenty of experience shooting firearms in the real world, I couldn't disagree with you more, but you're free to have your own opinion.

Recoil is the same in both Realism and Classic. Classic has more sway and more immediate weapon damage. Those are the only weapon differences between the modes. I fail to see what makes Classic weapons 'popguns'.

Upvote 0
Recoil is higher in classic
Yoshiro ( Classic players opinion time thread )
"Recoil - Kicked up recoil on most weapons (smg's will see this the most with more side to side recoil)
Aiming - When players go into iron sights (unlike RO 1 and RO 2) they will now be at full sway, which will settle down as they stay in iron sights
Sway/jitter - Some weapons may have their sway/jitter values tweaked
Our goal with this changes is to improve player feel with movement, as well as get more firefights."

Upvote 0
Recoil is higher in classic
Yoshiro ( Classic players opinion time thread )
"Recoil - Kicked up recoil on most weapons (smg's will see this the most with more side to side recoil)
Aiming - When players go into iron sights (unlike RO 1 and RO 2) they will now be at full sway, which will settle down as they stay in iron sights
Sway/jitter - Some weapons may have their sway/jitter values tweaked
Our goal with this changes is to improve player feel with movement, as well as get more firefights."

Well there you go.

So if any mode has popguns, it sure as hell aint Classic. ;)

Upvote 0
:cool:

I'm primarily a fan of Realism. But honestly, the more I play Classic, the more I appreciate it. It's realistic and works well in it's own right. When I play on servers I no longer make distinction between Realism & Classic. I'm comfortable with either. I suggest folks get good at using both. You'll do nothing but benefit.

Upvote 0

I love realism and simulation and I like the idea of making the game harder.
But I'm instantly thrown off by the fact that I can't point my rifle in the direction of the enemy even after a short sprint.
And by short I mean, less than 30m. And that's fresh as a daisy coming out of spawn.
That's just plain wrong and far from realistic.
Remember the game character we portray are healthy young boys, not 75 year old lung cancer patients.
You would have to be totally exhausted to go into aim with a weapon sway like that.

The problem is that we can't control the breathing witch means your like a fish on land gasping for air every time you stop to aim.
And that's going to give the defenders even a greater advantage than they have already.

Here's one example that made me laugh.
I was playing as Axis rifleman on Mamayevkurgan.
I got up to the top of the hill on the first cap. Took a breather before making a 20m sprint to the tunnel entrance on top.
I walked slowly into the tunnel and spotted a guy 5m away. I was looking at his shoulder so he couldn't see me.
But when I raised my rifle to aim I suddenly found myself wading in mud with my pants dropped to the ankles.
I managed to fire 3 shots before he turned around and killed me.

That was just too funny but its a joke I don't feel like repeating.

I say Classic the dead horse on Spartanovka, let it rest in peace.

Instead try to give us something totally hardcore, at least for weapon handling and loadout
And get rid of all the INFO and names that clutter our view all the time.

Even though I didn't enjoy "Classic" I appreciate the efforts.

Thank you

Upvote 0

I love realism and simulation and I like the idea of making the game harder.
But I'm instantly thrown off by the fact that I can't point my rifle in the direction of the enemy even after a short sprint.
And by short I mean, less than 30m. And that's fresh as a daisy coming out of spawn.
That's just plain wrong and far from realistic.
Remember the game character we portray are healthy young boys, not 75 year old lung cancer patients.
You would have to be totally exhausted to go into aim with a weapon sway like that.

The problem is that we can't control the breathing witch means your like a fish on land gasping for air every time you stop to aim.
And that's going to give the defenders even a greater advantage than they have already.

Here's one example that made me laugh.
I was playing as Axis rifleman on Mamayevkurgan.
I got up to the top of the hill on the first cap. Took a breather before making a 20m sprint to the tunnel entrance on top.
I walked slowly into the tunnel and spotted a guy 5m away. I was looking at his shoulder so he couldn't see me.
But when I raised my rifle to aim I suddenly found myself wading in mud with my pants dropped to the ankles.
I managed to fire 3 shots before he turned around and killed me.

That was just too funny but its a joke I don't feel like repeating.

I say Classic the dead horse on Spartanovka, let it rest in peace.

Instead try to give us something totally hardcore, at least for weapon handling and loadout
And get rid of all the INFO and names that clutter our view all the time.

Even though I didn't enjoy "Classic" I appreciate the efforts.

Thank you

Measure your distances better. A 20m run won't even bring you down to 3/4 stamina, and doesn't particularly affect your aim. If really you're missing at a range of 5m with that much stamina, you really can't blame the game.

A 120m sprint just about totally drains your stamina bar. Now, I'm a college athlete, age 21, in equivalent physical shape more or less to your average Second World War conscript, and my teammates and I are a bunch of wusses or something, but a hundred meter dash does in fact elevate your heartrate and make trying to hold your breath somewhat unpleasant.

Mind, that's on well-manicured turf. Substitute hilly terrain, soft sand, mud, volcanic soil, dirt, or hillocks of grass, and add a soldier's typical combat load to your athletic uniform, and I guarantee that you'll feel the effects of a one hundred yard dash once you're done.

Your opinion is your opinion, of course. To others reading the thread, just try Classic out for yourselves, because the above quote is a ludicrous exaggeration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Measure your distances better. A 20m run won't even bring you down to 3/4 stamina, and doesn't particularly affect your aim. If really you're missing at a range of 5m with that much stamina, you really can't blame the game.

A 120m sprint just about totally drains your stamina bar. Now, I'm a college athlete, age 21, in equivalent physical shape more or less to your average Second World War conscript, and my teammates and I are a bunch of wusses or something, but a hundred meter dash does in fact elevate your heartrate and make trying to hold your breath somewhat unpleasant.

Mind, that's on well-manicured turf. Substitute hilly terrain, soft sand, mud, volcanic soil, dirt, or hillocks of grass, and add a soldier's typical combat load to your athletic uniform, and I guarantee that you'll feel the effects of a one hundred yard dash once you're done.

Your opinion is your opinion, of course. To others reading the thread, just try Classic out for yourselves, because the above quote is a ludicrous exaggeration.

Are you sure you're actually playing Classic and not Action :rolleyes:

I said less than 30m and then 20m NOT 120m.

Check the screen shoots. I can re-create the, in your words, ludicrous exaggeration, weapon sway by just moving forward.
It reminds me of my two year old son when he tries to lift up the broomstick, he can't hold it steady :D

I was honestly trying to aim for the MG position in the first two pictures and my stamina was full.
The third picture is also on full stamina, unless I lost it all moving from hallway 5m.

The third picture illustrates the problem if you're faced with a guy aiming at you from the window across from the door.

Controlled breathing is essential and hey, it works even if your tired.
I learned that the hard way in the army 29 years ago :p
Go play a Paintball match next weekend, and tell me again on Monday how hard it is to aim.

I don't mind the game being harder, in fact I want it to be as real as it can be.
Without controlled breathing this isn't close to being real, but If you like it.
I'm happy for you.

Attachments

• 35450_2013-10-02_00001.jpg
    35450_2013-10-02_00001.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 35450_2013-10-02_00002.jpg
    35450_2013-10-02_00002.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 35450_2013-10-02_00003.jpg
    35450_2013-10-02_00003.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Are you sure you're actually playing Classic and not Action :rolleyes:

I said less than 30m and then 20m NOT 120m.

Check the screen shoots. I can re-create the, in your words, ludicrous exaggeration, weapon sway by just moving forward.
It reminds me of my two year old son when he tries to lift up the broomstick, he can't hold it steady :D

I was honestly trying to aim for the MG position in the first two pictures and my stamina was full.
The third picture is also on full stamina, unless I lost it all moving from hallway 5m.

The third picture illustrates the problem if you're faced with a guy aiming at you from the window across from the door.

Controlled breathing is essential and hey, it works even if your tired.
I learned that the hard way in the army 29 years ago :p
Go play a Paintball match next weekend, and tell me again on Monday how hard it is to aim.

I don't mind the game being harder, in fact I want it to be as real as it can be.
Without controlled breathing this isn't close to being real, but If you like it.
I'm happy for you.

Check out my screenshots. It appears I get better results than you do, even with a completely empty stamina bar.

Note that I wouldn't advise trying to snipe the head of a German machine gunner as depicted in the last three screenshots while standing in the open, unsupported, with no stamina. That said, if you were to try such a thing in Classic Mode, you do still come close enough to suppress the enemy, certainly, or even kill him if you get lucky.

I'm not here to argue with you though. I'll let others look at these screenshots and decide for themselves who's story they believe.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a better shot than you are? :eek:

Oh, and I'll pass on the paintball. I'm American. Don't need to join the army to shoot a rifle in this country, you see. ;)

Attachments

• 2013-10-02_00001.jpg
    2013-10-02_00001.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-10-02_00002.jpg
    2013-10-02_00002.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-10-02_00003.jpg
    2013-10-02_00003.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-10-02_00004.jpg
    2013-10-02_00004.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-10-02_00005.jpg
    2013-10-02_00005.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the new improvements, but the sway when entering sights or changing stance is a bit too much, and too jerky in my opinion.

However without a 'Realism + classic' filter in the serverbrowser I will most likely not bother trying to find a populated classic server very often.

Upvote 0
I like the new improvements, but the sway when entering sights or changing stance is a bit too much, and too jerky in my opinion.

However without a 'Realism + classic' filter in the serverbrowser I will most likely not bother trying to find a populated classic server very often.

Yes it needs help. Would prefer more along lines of the current sway around like with the semi auto sniper rifles while standing up aiming. With a bit more sway around. TO extreme now. Just my take.

Upvote 0
My opinion about aiming system after having played over 20 h.
I like new changes apart initial phase when player gets in IS. When stamina is deployed it takes a few seconds to stabilize you gun. Player doesnt seem to have control over it and it doesnt feel natural for me. Barrel just travels in random zig zags and player is almost defenceless then. Even when you got enemy turned back to you a few meters away its bloody difficult to hit him (speaking of bolt action rifle I mostly play). It`s better to hide then then shoot.
IMO this phase should be removed. Huge sway after running and slower getting in IS should be enough penalty for losing stamina. Attacker should have at least tiny chance in such situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ya that is better explanation. ITs to extreme. Now if you are exerted.. Like you just sprinted for you life and on the adrenaline high INDEED you have a vary hard arse time aiming. But NOT like the rifle pointing 30 degrees off to the side. But you can fire and get in the ball park. Maybe hit a torso sized object at 50 meters in 5 shots. AND no, I am NOT kidding on that. Unless you are a rare duck I have watched AND done this with experienced soldiers. Shots you could do all day long at short file ranges get quite a bit harder under exertion and stress. Why it takes 1000's of rounds per hit in combat.. well that and just suppressing stuff. But this is GOOD for a ultra realistic mod. It means lots of bullets flying around and long lasting firefights. DUH!

Upvote 0