• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Custom Maps - Qualification Board & Forced Download

Originally Posted by Mike_Nomad
I have said that for months and months its nothing new. SWS is garbage and some servers are junk. You made no point that hasn't been indicated before.

All the QB amounts to is another layer of useless bureaucratic control. It serves no real and genuine purpose except to allow CONTROL over the MAPS, MAPPERS, SERVERS and ADMINS!
No Thank you!!
"DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN!" & "TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE SOUP!!"

I say; "HANDS OFF!!" What we have now works and works well!​

And that is why Thor come up with this suggestion/proposal/idea. To make it easier for all. It might work for you, but for some it's still too complicated. Redirects can do fine, but for large maps it can still run up to 5 to 10 minutes download time if the server is on an other continent.
Maybe for some poorly run servers/redirects. I have yet to get *ANY * complaints from our European/Asian/South American/Caribbean users about the speed and reliability of our ReDirect. Sorry that reasoning doesn't wash as far as I am concerned. Nice try...... no cigar.

There are quite a few high quality servers using first class ReDirect Servers just as RGN does... Truly with the dropping user counts and only 6 maps for RS and small fraction of the maps we used to have for RO2, I say let the wheat separate from the chaffe. The lousy servers will soon disappear and the Quality Servers will shine through.
Ducky said:
At that point players will look elsewhere. The players now days want to play a match from the start of the match and not step in after the first couple of caps are already captured. We can't change that attitude, but we can at least try to prevent that they have to wait that long.
Oh, this QB push is for Matches? Nice - now the bottom lines begin to show through. There ain't enough players left for "Matches".

We play "games on maps" in RS and RO2. Our players (from all over the world) enjoy our servers and redirects because they are hassle free and reliable. Again, many other servers are too but the garbage servers will soon disappear... As they always do.

All that QB amounts to is another layer of useless bureaucratic control. It serves no real and genuine purpose except to allow CONTROL over the MAPS, MAPPERS, SERVERS and ADMINS!
No Thank you!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really, who and how many do the choosing?
I answered that already or did you not read it?

Don't get snotty with me, its unbecoming of you... The quality servers with fast working redirects are what this is all about. After all, they already allow mappers to release their work into the community thus allowing all players wanting to play custom maps to enjoy their work. Or, hadn't you noticed in your bellicose pursuit of power?

Don't try your bully boy tactics with me mike they don't work here.
You plainly do not grasp the concept of what has been repeatedly explained by several other posters apart from myself.
This is not a fight for freedom for the rights of oppressed RO2 mappers and stop trying to mislead people into believing it is.
No one is going to prevent mappers making maps or releasing maps or servers running whatever maps they want.

That is plainly a fallacy. Patently untrue - A figment of someone's imagination. The piss poor and highly intrusive SWS performance, inexperienced admins, poor GSP's and garbage redirects have done more to cause users to shy away because of all the lousy experiences they've suffered. That is the TRUTH!

There you go again trying to mislead people.
You have turned a simple statement about how popular winterwald is now that its an official stock map, into a question about servers and redirects.
This has nothing to do with server quality or redirects.
What on earth do you keep bringing it up for, it has no bearing on getting custom maps into an official patch.

You left one other result out.... Play what WE want you to play and play the map the way we want you to play it. After all, the person(s) deciding which maps get "released" do so with dictatorial powers.

I have left nothing out because no one is going to prevent you from playing whatever you like or anyone else for that matter.
Whether maps would be released as part of patch is an issue for each mapper.
If a mapper did not wish to submit a map then there would be no difference to what they have right this minute.
So how are they, you or anyone else being dictated too.
This is about choice and allowing our talented mappers an opportunity to get their work released into the game.

The way it is now, we play the maps as the mappers DESIGNED them to play NOT as some pompous bureaucrat(s) decide it should play.

Yet more assumption and misinformation.
Who said anything will be changed in a mappers design?

There you go again, getting snotty, actually, you KNOW I am reading each and every word.....
There you go again trying to bully people.
Your repeated posts about server quality, redirects and the rights of mappers show a complete failure to grasp the concept of what has been proposed.

Truth be known again..."DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKEN!" & "TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE SOUP!!" Are quite appropriate here. Of course I already said that and you chose to talk down to me and mock my words. That's all good as it proves you have no factual, concrete fail-safe answer.

Truth be known you keep scaremongering and misinforming people with topics that have no relevance to the proposal as we can see from you sentence below.

And then we see the users confronted with those servers choosing not to run the "modified" or should I say, "modifried" maps. Thus the advent of numerous versions of a map in circulation.

If I want to run a newly released community map that is patched into the game that is my choice and if I decide to run version B3 of that map on my server instead of B5 or the patched version surely thats my choice as well.
These problems will not disappear because of this proposal, because choice will always be there.

Whatever butch...... whatever.... When will we all know the real reasons for all this hullabaloo over this senseless and useless layer of bureaucracy. Apparently, EGO and POWER over the MAPPERS & ADMINS and especially SERVER CONTENT are the obnoxiously obvious reasons cloaked in smoke and mirrors about "everything will be wonderful". Its really nothing but a control freak scheme.

Lol..Yet again more misinformation..There is no conspiracy to overthrow the rights of mappers to map.
There is no desire by me or anyone else to subvert the rights of server admins to run their servers as they see fit or to corrupt their redirects so that they will no longer be faster than a speeding bullet.
The only thing I find freakish is your complete failure to undestand a very simple concept posted by Thor in his proposal.

You have no idea how many users, of those who are left, (6500 down to less than 1800 avg. in less than four weeks) see right through this BS. This nonsensical effort is a telltale sign of futile thinking in the face of a failing platform. You of all people, like myself and a few others here, have seen this before at least twice. Trouble is, I do not have a short memory.

You are welcome to your pessimistic views.
Just don't ask or expect others to share them.
Yes I have seen the player count drop and rise again..It rises after new official content is added usually..
Hence Thors proposal to help TWI add even more.:rolleyes:

@ All
We WILL wind up with multiple versions of maps. There is no talking around that FACT.

Official content will reduce this but why would anyone want to prevent any server admin running whatever version of a map he personally preferred on their server.

Constant meddling in the creation of maps is courting disaster. Just look at what happened with Winterwald.... when it was first released everyone loved it. It was a challenge, an exciting challenge. EVERYONE Loved it!! ...Now, its a bore. (truth)

Again I have to say where has anyone stated that map design would be changed.
Personally you may find Winterwald a bore but many others do not so its an opinion and only the truth as you see it.

I say "HANDS OFF!!" What we have now works and works well!

Yes it works but it does not allow the whole community to enjoy some very very good content.
More stock content whether it be supplied by TWI or the community will allow a great many more players to enjoy the talent and varity that our mappers have to offer in their work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe for some poorly run servers/redirects. I have yet to get *ANY * complaints from our European/Asian/South American/Caribbean users about the speed and reliability of our ReDirect. Sorry that reasoning doesn't wash as far as I am concerned. Nice try...... no cigar.
--SNIP--

Then I have to disappoint you. This is not how internet works. I remember quite a few times when I played on your custom map server that I had to wait for more than 5 minutes to get on the server. An internet connection is as fast as the weakest link. I could download ColdSteel in 2 minutes on an European server, but when connecting to RGN, then it did took quite a long time to get it. That's how internet works. This is why big companies work with shadow servers located on all continents to prevent this to happen.

Edit:
--SNIP--
Oh, this QB push is for Matches? Nice - now the bottom lines begin to show through. There ain't enough players left for "Matches".
--SNIP--

Maybe you didn't notice yet, but those games are matches. Why else do you think the last screen of such a game says "Match Won" or "Match Lost"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I share the thoughts of the others

Mike i really cant see what your problems with this idea is

No ones changing your map cycle which is how server admins choose & choose being the operative word here which maps are played

All this idea does is give more server admins the chance to run custom maps knowing all users will have the same version and will NOT need to use SWS or a redirect - which is a possative step in helping mapper reach more people

No one saying mappers cant release maps others ways if they so choose.

Upvote 0
Then I have to disappoint you. This is not how internet works. I remember quite a few times when I played on your custom map server that I had to wait for more than 5 minutes to get on the server. An internet connection is as fast as the weakest link. I could download ColdSteel in 2 minutes on an European server, but when connecting to RGN, then it did took quite a long time to get it. That's how internet works. This is why big companies work with shadow servers located on all continents to prevent this to happen.
Speaking of disappointments......

WRONG!! Coldsteel takes less than 2 minutes to download for our German players.... Big Companies? Are we going from the ridiculous to the sublime? Why not compare our RO/RO2/RS community to that of a Piper Cub to a 747. Your comparisons are off the wall. I see we are going to go personal about RGN... well Ducky, I won't take the bait.
Ducky said:
Edit:

Maybe you didn't notice yet, but those games are matches. Why else do you think the last screen of such a game says "Match Won" or "Match Lost"?
Oh, I noticed.... but your point is moot as we "play the game", period. In other modes, such as FF that wording is different.

The fact STILL remains, all that QB amounts to is another layer of useless bureaucratic control. It serves no real and genuine purpose except to allow CONTROL over the MAPS, MAPPERS, SERVERS and ADMINS!

No Thank you!!

Upvote 0
yes....redirects work so well. I see RGN servers fully populated 24/7!

I guess you could call that "going personal with RGN." I appreciate the work you guys do...but...lets face it, you guys don't have a populated server 90% of the time.

Hell, all we have to do is look at the population of RGN servers, Floyd's server and some of the other custom map servers with "blazing fast" redirects, to see that the current system is broken.

The only we customs will get played is if they are patched into the game-like Winterwald, etc.

Also Mike...you have said numerous times that you were done with this thread. Yet you keep coming back...and keep being wrong.

Upvote 0
yes....redirects work so well. I see RGN servers fully populated 24/7!

I guess you could call that "going personal with RGN." I appreciate the work you guys do...but...lets face it, you guys don't have a populated server 90% of the time.

Hell, all we have to do is look at the population of RGN servers, Floyd's server and some of the other custom map servers with "blazing fast" redirects, to see that the current system is broken.

The only we customs will get played is if they are patched into the game-like Winterwald, etc.

Also Mike...you have said numerous times that you were done with this thread. Yet you keep coming back...and keep being wrong.

Wrong or Right is a matter of perception...

You are entitled to your opinion as I am of mine.... ofc we all know what say about opinions. :cool:

NOTE: Looking at our redirect stats we have served over 5 Terabytes since February this year. Yes that is with a mighty big T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry Butch.... until you speak with respect and the fact that I refuse to be tag teamed by a pair of moderators.....
Neither of you care to listen to reason.

You two have finished this topic here for me.

The same you have shown?
In my book respect is a two way street that has to be earned by both parties.
Perhaps forum and community members should visit your editorial threads at RGN to see how much respect you show people.

Upvote 0
WRONG!! Coldsteel takes less than 2 minutes to download for our German players.... Big Companies? Are we going from the ridiculous to the sublime? Why not compare our RO/RO2/RS community to that of a Piper Cub to a 747. Your comparisons are off the wall. I see we are going to go personal about RGN... well Ducky, I won't take the bait.
--SNIP--

Sorry if you took it that way, but it was not going personal at RGN. I simply used it as an example, because you mentioned it here:

There are quite a few high quality servers using first class ReDirect Servers just as RGN does... Truly with the dropping user counts and only 6 maps for RS and small fraction of the maps we used to have for RO2, I say let the wheat separate from the chaffe. The lousy servers will soon disappear and the Quality Servers will shine through.

--SNIP--

And no I'm not wrong about the download time. Experienced it myself.

Upvote 0
Just home from work to see a private message from Mike Nomad, not from on these forums but back on his private forums, where he likes to have full control to bully people.

PM recieved:

Mike Nomad:

Keep attacking me go for it - you'll soon wear out your welcome.

At least talk sense....

I think butch mentioned it earlier in the thread but this is a topic Mike has created on his forum.

Mike's Forum used keep full control of the conversation

Mike didn't want to come on here to reply to my earlier posts, instead he created his own topic on his forum and used it attack and bully.

I will be keeping the conversation here Mike, for all to see.

It is quite clear to me now you are nothing but a bully, you throw your weight about on the forums because you have been here a long time. You try your best to discredit/dismiss peoples opinion that you don't like.

Not only that but in regards to this very topic, you are sending misinformation and scaremongering.

You also suggested I was a puppet of certain moderators from these forums. Take a look at a topic I created in the suggestion section before this post was even made by Thor.

My earlier suggestion

As you can see this was posted before Thor and has a similar idea, although admittedly I think Thor's post was much better thought out and explained.

You keep talking about poorly run servers and slow redirects. What is your association with this company?

GamingRedirect

A redirect server is simply hosting space, there is nothing that requires configured. You simply need as much bandwidth that you can afford to ensure the fastest service.

You criticized someone for suggestion they suffered from a slow down speed when using your redirect. You do realise that distance is a factor that cannot be controlled? I actually used GamingRedirect for a month as it was only $3 but my download speed on their test server was 350-400kbs when my max download when using steam on local servers is 2mb/s.

Can you explain to me what makes a badly run server/admin? You love to suggest this all the time but I would really love to know what actually makes a server bad and admins much the same?

Do you play on many other servers?

I would also like to ask why you keep bringing up redirect servers in the first place, when this proposal has 100% zero effect on the current way maps are created and then hosted on servers.

You would still be able to:

• Host any map you want custom or otherwise
  • Use redirect servers
  • Use Steam workshop
  • Map makers DO NOT have to send their map for approval, if they don't want to.

Upvote 0
Don't get snotty with me, its unbecoming of you... The quality servers with fast working redirects are what this is all about. After all, they already allow mappers to release their work into the community thus allowing all players wanting to play custom maps to enjoy their work. Or, hadn't you noticed in your bellicose pursuit of power?
You really don't get it do you. With this proposal mappers can still release maps into the community and to these servers that use redirects for custom maps. Nothing changes for your server, or any other server. No servers are restricted in what custom maps they can play! When will you realise this?

Whatever butch...... whatever.... When will we all know the real reasons for all this hullabaloo over this senseless and useless layer of bureaucracy. Apparently, EGO and POWER over the MAPPERS & ADMINS and especially SERVER CONTENT are the obnoxiously obvious reasons cloaked in smoke and mirrors about "everything will be wonderful". Its really nothing but a control freak scheme.

How many servers run custom maps now? Not many, Look at all that control they have, they can easily take a users favourite custom map out of rotation. Yet again, this proposal DOES NOT affect servers in a negative way. You can choose to not play the QB maps, or play ANY custom map YOU want.

And then we see the users confronted with those servers choosing not to run the "modified" or should I say, "modifried" maps. Thus the advent of numerous versions of a map in circulation.
What is this I don't even... Pigeon chess? :rolleyes: Wait, yes it is pigeon chess ("debating here is like playing chess with a pigeon - it knocks over the pieces, defecates on the board, and then flies back to its flock to claim victory"): http://www.raidersmerciless.com/showthread.php?p=98079#post98079
I am sure the other users who see this thread will appreciate the respect you offer them.The bias mainly seems to be coming from you tbh. And the fact you had to make some thread complaining about them on a private forum instead of actually responding to them and engaging in debate is ridiculous.

You left one other result out.... Play what WE want you to play and play the map the way we want you to play it. After all, the person(s) deciding which maps get "released" do so with dictatorial powers.
How many times do I and others have to say this? Seriously, the QB does not stop you from using redirects, it does not force anyone to play maps, severs can still run ANY custom map they want. Are you just oblivious to well reasoned arguments?

The way it is now, we play the maps as the mappers DESIGNED them to play NOT as some pompous bureaucrat(s) decide it should play.

This proposal DOES NOT restrict servers in playing ANY custom map they want. You can also opt not to play the QB maps on your server by setting up your own map rotation. I assume you know how to do this? This proposal does not force anyone to play a map.

That is plainly a fallacy. Patently untrue - A figment of someone's imagination. The piss poor and highly intrusive SWS performance, inexperienced admins, poor GSP's and garbage redirects have done more to cause users to shy away because of all the lousy experiences they've suffered. That is the TRUTH![
And this proposal tries to offer more maps to make the experience more enjoyable on the MAJORITY of servers.

Its like talking to a wall, but something that must be done otherwise this proposal may get nowhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems like a lot of wasted effort even arguing over a QB.

TWI even considering support for a true "Community Map Pack" as a forced download is yet to be known. If they are, then a selection process will be devised, and disagreed about no doubt. It would support the player base regardless of process, and would help keep players in servers when a custom rotates that is supported.

Mappers are willing to spend their time making maps, if others are willing to spend their time providing this additional service then cool.

The number of ppl playing RO2/RS, and how to increase it is another topic IMO.

Upvote 0
Its a useless debate now totally side tracked.

People call you out over your nonsense, and this is how you respond? As for your sarcastic comments whenever you know someone has bettered you, noone cares for those.
Example A:
Originally Posted by ButchCassidy
Perhaps forum and community members should visit your editorial threads at RGN to see how much respect you show people.
Come one, come all!

May we finally get this proposal on track and may any criticism be constructive.

Upvote 0