• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Introducing a New Game Type for Red Orchestra 2

-=THOR=-

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2011
New Game Type for Red Orchestra 2

Some of you may be aware of it, I've been working on a new game type for Red Orchestra 2 in the last months, with the collaboration |DD|Mad_Fred and |DD|GrimReality. Special thanks to |DD|Spaehling for the initial help with the SDK, and alpha testing. I also want to thank the other |DD| testers for their time.

First, here's a little teaser...

Red Orchestra 2 - New Game Type - YouTube

Spoiler!

Regards,
-=THOR=-

Last edited:
To all of the |DD| guys -- I am absolutely speechless right now. I've known of this undercover, for a while now, and have anxiously been awaiting this day. I know how unbelievably hard you guys work, and that is something to be admired.

To the community -- I've had the chance to play RO2 in CTF now for about 30min. or so. Let me say that it is nothing short of dazzling.

I am so renewed by this gametype that I absolutely don't know what to say.

All I can do is thank you on behalf of everyone who enjoys a proper CTF gametype and giggle myself into oblivion.

Now if any medals are going to be given out, THESE guys deserve the first one.

Congratulations |DD| and JOB WELL DONE!

Upvote 0
Thanks for helping us test tonight Traxx. Glad you loved it!

All the credit goes to Thor - he's been pounding his head against the wall day after day, making progress little by little, and finally we have this great new game mode! :D

A great new custom map by Fred as well! Plenty of head smashing against the wall for him too! :D

Me? Right now I just have the custom flags, but there will be more custom environmental assets to come. :)

Attachments

• ddctfbanner2.jpg
    ddctfbanner2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm dropping all my previous maps and projects ASAP. I have the SDK up and working on CTF map as i type this. :D Thank guys for making this game more fun than it already is :D:D:D

I agree with WoLvErInE CTF on Rakowice and Coldsteel is on top of my prioritylist.
Thanks for bringing this to the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To all of the |DD| guys -- I am absolutely speechless right now. I've known of this undercover, for a while now, and have anxiously been awaiting this day. I know how unbelievably hard you guys work, and that is something to be admired.

To the community -- I've had the chance to play RO2 in CTF now for about 30min. or so. Let me say that it is nothing short of dazzling.

I am so renewed by this gametype that I absolutely don't know what to say.

All I can do is thank you on behalf of everyone who enjoys a proper CTF gametype and giggle myself into oblivion.

Now if any medals are going to be given out, THESE guys deserve the first one.

Congratulations |DD| and JOB WELL DONE!

This is going to be awesome! :eek:

Thank you so much, after that video I started to work again on an old map project.

And if everything runs fine, I hope Tripwire Interactive will release it as an official gametype?!

Long live Red Orchestra 2!

Upvote 0
This is exciting... Capture the Flag.

Is this a FULL MOD to be run separately or, will it work within the existing framework ala RS?

Any ETA?? ;)

Well, it would be kinda silly to run a seperate instance of the game with only CTF as game type, I reckon. :p

It's technically speaking maybe even more of an Addon than a Mod, anyway, since it adds something that wasn't there yet, instead of replacing or modificating exsisting content. So yes, it will run within the current framework. It will just add this game type to the exsisting game, on a map basis. So if a server admin has the files, and hosts the maps that have it, then it's there.

The ETA is soon, as soon as the whitelisting (fingers crossed) goes through, but it will be an open beta on the DD server only first, untill all the kinks are ironed out. How long that will take, that is too early to tell. We have yet to test with a full house of players, for example. There is no way to tell yet, what might happen in every possible event during gameplay.

Regards,
Fred

Upvote 0
Well, it would be kinda silly to run a seperate instance of the game with only CTF as game type, I reckon. :p

True but the question needed asking anyway.

It's technically speaking maybe even more of an Addon than a Mod, anyway, since it adds something that wasn't there yet, instead of replacing or modificating exsisting content. So yes, it will run within the current framework. It will just add this game type to the exsisting game, on a map basis. So if a server admin has the files, and hosts the maps that have it, then it's there.

OK, sounds good to me.

The ETA is soon, as soon as the whitelisting (fingers crossed) goes through, but it will be an open beta on the DD server only first, untill all the kinks are ironed out. How long that will take, that is too early to tell. We have yet to test with a full house of players, for example. There is no way to tell yet, what might happen in every possible event during gameplay.

Then why whitelisting run a PW'ed beta.... then you are for sure to have exclusivity. ;)

Good Luck and thank you.

Upvote 0