• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wheres our promised mac red orchestra 2?!?!?!?!?

AKtm:

The whole dilemma boils down to this:

1. Most mainstream games are made for windows (and Xbox only) [well and PS3].
2. Microsoft locked the game section down with Win and Xbox use of DirectX.
3. Alot of Game companies won't build their games for Linux OSes because there are not enough users to make it worth their effort and: Linux OSes have a small user base BECAUSE there are not alot mainstream games for Linux OSes (the Hen/Egg dilemma).

I think, if the Linux OS userbase reaches a critical mass (steam for linux selling 3 million Left4dead 2 games for example) and mainstream game companies notice the opportunity that there is money in the linux gaming market, things will change.

TL;DR: If game industry notices the numbers of linux gamers, more games will be made for Linux.

All of this is true. There is no doubt about it.

Upvote 0
Well. in case everyone hasn't heard about it yet:

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

tldr: L4D2 is faster on linux than on windows, and even on windows it's faster with OpenGL than D3D9, with 315 FPS on linux and 270.6 FPS on windows with D3D9 and 303.4 FPS on windows with OpenGL.

They're also working with AMD, Nvidia and Intel to improve their linux drivers. Just goes to further show it's not impossible.

Upvote 0
I know but if you read all the posts they go up to 2011 even the ones from Yoshiro. But do you think it most likely is an empty promise?

I cannot say because I just don't know and I will not speculate. As far as the dates Ro1 is still active and retains a small but very loyal player base.In fact I still play it and is a fine game in its own right even tho its somewhat dated.

I do however feel for mac users as they are left out alot when it comes to gaming.Not that the hardware is not capable its due to 3rd party support software.Like drivers and game development they may be other options.

I haven't had any experiences with mac but, there are some software that emulates pc as far as if they can handle ro2 or not I cannot say.

Bootcamp is the leading pc emulator for the mac but again not sure if it would run RO2 or not.

http://apple-boot-camp.soft32.com/free-download

Here is another such program
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

They may be others that's better as my search was brief but I wish you luck.I just wouldn't hold your breath on any official mac release.When buying a computer for gaming PC is always the safe bet.Macs are very capable but any software support is not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I cannot say because I just don't know and I will not speculate. As far as the dates Ro1 is still active and retains a small but very loyal player base.In fact I still play it and is a fine game in its own right even tho its somewhat dated.

I do however feel for mac users as they are left out alot when it comes to gaming.Not that the hardware is not capable its due to 3rd party support software.Like drivers and game development they may be other options.

I haven't had any experiences with mac but, there are some software that emulates pc as far as if they can handle ro2 or not I cannot say.

Bootcamp is the leading pc emulator for the mac but again not sure if it would run RO2 or not.

http://apple-boot-camp.soft32.com/free-download

Here is another such program
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

They may be others that's better as my search was brief but I wish you luck.I just wouldn't hold your breath on any official mac release.When buying a computer for gaming PC is always the safe bet.Macs are very capable but any software support is not guaranteed.

Thank you for the reply much appreciated :) I can understand that RO1 for mac has probably been scrapped which is a shame but hopefully with the help of you i'll be able to play RO2 on the mac cheers :)

Upvote 0
Our build or UE 3 does not support Mac clients and it is a non trivial thing to change the engine build to one that does. It is something we are interested in, but currently don't see the demand for.

As far as upgrading our engine, it remains something we continue to evaluate, but it would roughly mean a downtime of 3 to 6 months with no bug fixes, no content additions or anything of the sort as we got the game online on a new version of the engine and fixed it. They engine has changed massively over the years and upgrading will break many parts of it that will need to be hunted down and fixed. Month to month changes are usually fairly trivial with the engine, but they add up and entire features are ripped out and replaced. For example the UI system, foliage system, terrain system and more that we use are now obsolete in the latest builds of the engine. We would either need to bring the old systems forward, or start from scratch with the new systems (both of these options are not "easy"). As I said, non trivial. But it remains something we continue to evaluate as we move forward.

I hear You. Considering it, the first option (e.g. patching up the 2010 RO-SDK release with the newer functions enabling OS-X support available since late 2011 UDK release) sounds more affordable to in my ears... but not at the least non-trivial, aye.

In my ears that doesn't sound too much like an actual OS-X client for RO:HOS will ever happen. Looking forward to future TWI releases on this engine, though!

Well, this whole Unreal Engine 3 issue regarding Mac/ Linux support can still drive me mad.
As i have followed it closely since 2005 i understand that both the Linux & Mac clients for Unreal Tournament where already finished by Icculus as well as there seemed to be quite a huge effort on bringing the map editor (aka the pre UDK) to these platforms as well. Whatever hindered all this goodness remains unknown to this day.
Hell, i even bought a copy of Unreal Tournament 2007 as a "thank you" after they officially announced that the Linux client binaries would be released shortly after the official release... well, that never happened. One of the worst purchases i ever made :/

To all the "Mac bashers" on this thread:

I am sure the OP mixed up the TWI announcement regarding the RO:OST release for Mac (which indeed is a bit overdue...) with some statements about the willingness to look into RO:HOS support for Mac. I think that this should be pretty much cleared out, now.

... I don't know about u guys, but for me computers always have been tools to get some work done in the first place. And as different platforms offer different approaches in workflow, these are also attracting different people. Not everyone buys a computer for gaming... but is sure willing to give a game a try from time to time. Valve seems to have caught that, lately, and is catching on. Wise move!

Well, if u like it or not: we alt-os'ers (linux-nerds, mac-fags, windoze-haters or whatever u might call us) will stick around the games we love ;). Go bash right ahead, especially on the iVictims... but oh, wait, there u probably would have to bash yerselfes :p

cheers'n'out,
gitano

Upvote 0
Well, if u like it or not: we alt-os'ers (linux-nerds, mac-fags, windoze-haters or whatever u might call us) will stick around the games we love ;). Go bash right ahead, especially on the iVictims... but oh, wait, there u probably would have to bash yerselfes :p

cheers'n'out,
gitano

Well, my Win 7 install is pretty much exclusively gaming. I already played a fair bit of Linux RO1 but I brought RO2 both because it looked good and I wanted to support the teams.

Upvote 0
Serious question: why would you buy a mac? I honestly do not understand.

If it weren't for games I'd probably be a full time Linux or Mac user.

I actually had the choice to get a Macbook Pro for work (unix/linux administration) and for those platforms, a Mac's a simple choice because not only is Unix integration already there the productivity suite stuff is usually compatible with Windows, which the rest of the world still speaks. Secondly, and this is more of a subjective choice, I think the build quality and finish are excellent, and OS X is an excellent OS, even despite the increasing mobile-isation of it.

Upvote 0