• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which mode do you intend to play the most?

Which mode do you intend to play the most?

• Total voters
Classic all the way baby...While I agree some of the options isn't realistic.Like the short sprint but it has many handy caps.That reward players for spending time to learn sway energy management etc.At the same time be less forgiving to the new people coming from a console game.This is only building on the advantage ro2 has over the other 2 fps's. "being different"

This is what I loved about ro1 the challenge everyone had a equal set up and chance just skill and being smart rewarded the vet player.In Ost the difference between a new guy and a experienced vet was quite dramatic.In ro2 not so much a CoD guy can run and gun with smg pretty good from the first day.

I'm all for making RO more hardcore and classic will do this or at least is a good step forward.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't buy HOS to necessarily play RO with hyped-up graphics, imho

For what it's worth, there's a huge amount of difference between Ostfront and RO2 Classic mode:

• Mantling
  • Cover system
  • Blindfire
  • Tactical bounds from prone using sprint key
  • Improved handling of exhaustion during sprint
  • Buildings, fences and telegraph poles destroyable by artillery
  • Tactical View highlight for satchel-destroyable meshes
  • Tactical View
  • Enemy Spotted system and markers
  • LMG deployment and pivot around bipod (this needs some reliability tweaks though)
  • Magazine check function
  • Modified recoil for many weapon classes
  • Controlled breathing to steady aim
  • Ironsight zoom (this had been added in Darkest Hour but not Ostfront)
  • Ability to carry second primary weapon
  • Ability for Commander / Squad Leaders to place a "move here" order (even though it needs some tweaks to be really useful)
  • Fences, trees and telegraph poles that tanks can drive through
  • More detailed armour model (some further work needed here though)
  • Air recon (controversial I know)
  • Different types of artillery on a single map
  • Artillery cooldown rather than set number of salvoes (not necessarily better than Ostfront, but different)
  • Bullet penetration (a personal favourite, especially under the anti-lag mutator which fixes some errors and inconsistencies in the native implementation of bullet penetration)
  • Improved suppression effects over Ostfront, closer to Darkest Hour suppression modelling (some more work needs to be done on the sound of incoming fire though)
  • Interior modelling of tanks and viewports (not necessarily an improvement but definitely a difference)
  • Tank AI drivers and gunners (especially if gunners are tweaked or disabled using Tank Tweak mutator)
  • Fixed MG emplacements
That's probably enough to be going on with... There are doubtless other differences between Ostfront and RO2 Classic that I've missed, but even this quick list makes it very clear that Classic is not remotely a reskinned Ostfront.

Upvote 0
Should have been a multi-vote poll.

Realism & Classic.

It was a toss up between multi poll or this. With a multi we might see what people will generally play, but might not see to what extent someone prefers a mode. This one forces you to make a choice on preference. I would like to see a similar poll about what people prefer to play a month or so after the free month too

I will be playing Classic mostly but will probably play some realism and possibly action too, just for some mindless killing. I could happily see action removed from the game though, I don't think it is really a good move by TWI

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was a toss up between multi poll or this. With a multi we might see what people will generally play, but might not see to what extent someone prefers a mode. This one forces you to make a choice on preference. I would like to see a similar poll about what people prefer to play a month or so after the free month too

I will be playing Classic mostly but will probably play some realism and possibly action too, just for some mindless killing. I could happily see action removed from the game though, I don't think it is really a good move by TWI

Action is a move by TWI to buy into the COD market.

I won't be playing it, but it is a business decision, and with the billions of dollars involved in that particular market-- I understand the decision.

Upvote 0