• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community poll

Community poll

• Normal mode wasn't accessible enough

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • Realism mode wasn't realistic enough

Votes: 138 71.1%
  • The game was too hard to get into

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • The game wasn't too hard to get into.

Votes: 109 56.2%

• Total voters
Its because you like the new features. I don't. No matter if I play the game more.

I do like the game and play it... Do you??

I have 1053 hours of game play and enjoyed every second.

What have you? 2, maybe 3 hours - yet you talk like you are the voice of experience. You really ought to lighten up.
I think the game is excellent and absolutely getting better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem is... I think that in RO2 everything is too fast. You die too fast, you run too fast (not anymore in RO Classic), you lose too fast. When I play, the expected time of survival is barely 10 minutes, but when my friends play, I think that this goes to 1 or 2 minutes and this can be frustrating.

the answer is:
hedies too fast in HOS, because of the SUPER ZOOM.
Yes.
Who arrives first, and he looks in IRONSIGHT, or it presses the zoom key, IN An INSTANT he sees his enemy very close, accessible and vulnerable.....
while this enemy that this RUNNING, this seeing everything very far, and the enemies the peep is well camouflaged in the scenery.

I know that this can bring the old discussion of the '' zomm '', but, I lament, the excess ended up committing the fun

Upvote 0
In my own opinion I found that realism mode wasn't realistic enough and normal mode wasn't accessible enough.

I really enjoy playing Battlefield 3 when I just want some fast-paced, over-the-top action stuff. However, I bought Red Orchestra 2 for when I wanted a slow-paced, team-based, tactical , pseudo-realistic shooter. The problem is that Realism mode in Red Orchestra 2 isn't that at all. The normal mode also isn't accessible enough to compete with Battlefield 3 or one of Call of Duty 4's iterations.

Right now it feels like if Paradox released Hearts of Iron IV and they changed the game play from an extremely complicated, detailed grand strategy game to a bizarre compromise between Hearts of Iron and Total War. I really like Total War (one of my favourite game series) and I really like Hearts of Iron (another one of my favourite game series), but if they combined them it would feel wrong.

Total War is great as a fast-paced, simple strategy game that I will play when I feel like sitting back, right-clicking my full stack army on his city and relaxing. While Hearts of Iron is a game where I want to conduct every aspect of any nation on Earth that I select between the years 1936 and 1948. Personally managing the logistics system, command structure, land, naval and air forces, production, technological research, politics, diplomacy, espionage, strategic and operational planning etc. Those two formulas don't mix, and should never be mixed. I feel the same way about Red Orchestra.

I never actually played Red Orchestra 1 or the mod, but I am really looking forward to all the changes that are coming. I will definitely return once classic mode is released, tanks are fixed and there is more than one good map (Red October Factory). Again, this is all my own opinion, so if you enjoy the game as it stands now then I respect that. I will close by saying that I can't wait to return to this game within the next couple months. :D

Reactions: Faust.br
Upvote 0
I spent the extra money on the DDE pre-order not because I wanted a bunch of stupid hats and unlocks...

I gave TWI the extra 10 dollars because I felt that they deserved it. However, if they can't change their attitude and make things right with RO2 they can never expect that from me again.

I honestly hope they can do it and prove all of the critics (myself included) wrong...

Who knows? Maybe I'm just dreaming and someone needs to wake me up from this horrible nightmare and tell me that RO2 exists and it's actually everything it was PROMISED to be.

Some people might be able to settle with something sub-par... I respect myself, all of the other ROOSTers, AND TWI too much to settle for what RO2 is right now.

They can do better! They did it before so I can't help but expect better things from TWI.

And don't be fooled people! Taking the classic "Yes-Man!" stance on this issue will only make things worse...

Upvote 0
I never heard of RO before RO2 came out, so I'm new blood. Been playing "Vanilla" since day one. I hate classic it's too slow and there's no ZOOM! ect. lol, Don't care if there's no crosshair. I like some of the new maps, some are just a camping/sniper zone with having to run 700m across open fields. There's still the annoying bugs, like the SL inventory bug ect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix_Johnson
Upvote 0
The Cook said:
Problem is... I think that in RO2 everything is too fast. You die too fast, you run too fast (not anymore in RO Classic), you lose too fast. When I play, the expected time of survival is barely 10 minutes, but when my friends play, I think that this goes to 1 or 2 minutes and this can be frustrating. I mean... how are you supposed to know the map if you are killed in 1-2 minutes? Oh, you mean that I'm supposed to know the maps playing the horrible campaign with bots, isn't it?

This is how I feel as well, and thus all the "RO Classic" shenanigans.

When I first played the beta, it was a shocking experience. Not in a "Oh wow, this is awesome!" way, but more in a "What the hell is going on?" way. It was just 20 seconds cycles of spawn-death, spawn-death and so on.

I think this was true for most of the other players as well. The game was fast paced, but the weapons were accurate and lethal. This is an awkward combination, fast paced gameplay doesn't go well with lethal weapons. The lifetime shortens dramatically and it leads to what I call an "instagib fest", where it's all about who sees and shoots first and nested defenders having a huge advantage. It's one of the reasons it's so hard to win as Allies on Commisar's, or capture the first caps as Axis on Grain Elevator; because you have to run through open spaces while defenders wait for you with their pin-point accuracy. I think we can conclude that short firefights mean less fun and possible gameplay unbalance here.

The devs tried to cater to both hardcore base and new players by bumping the weapon accuracies and implementing realistic features, while for the "casuals" we got the zoom, faster movement, faster ADS and no sway all crammed into what is essentially a single gamemode. Relaxed/Realism didn't differ from a gameplay standpoint.

Now everyone can agree that this mode has pretty much failed satisfying anyone. That's why now TWI has made a 180 and is going the way of "diversification" rather than "unification". After some denial phase, plummeting sales and waning community made them realise it.

Right now, they're going the right way with Action and Classic modes. Action with lowered damage actually plays great, it leads to longer firefights and by longer firefights more tactical gameplay enjoyment. Classic does it the other way, by movement and sway penalties the firefights are extended again resulting in better gameplay moments. As a so called "RO vet", I think both modes are great steps in the right direction.

This brings us to our problem childs Relaxed Realism/ Realism modes. I think after Action and Classic, they will be redundant. I know they will be around for a while because of more stubbornness from dev side, but in the end compared to Action/Classic they will be less fun to play and harder to get into.

I don't know after so much time devs will be able to turn the tide(I really don't think so without going the KF way with massive sales and essentially giving the game away for free), but I hope RO2 was a good lesson for them in case of learning what their core competencies are and how are they implementing them in their gameplay designs.

Upvote 0
I enjoyed the game fairly well (oddly, more in beta than after), but I can't help but feel that I would have been happier with ROOST with better graphics and a couple of new engine features.

I understand where you are coming from, but if they simply released an upgraded ROOst, called it RO2 (and charged $40 for it,) they would have been pilloried in the gaming community and in these forums. Instead of winning awards, the headlines would be:

"Long awaited sequel offers fans nothing new ..."

"The only thing original about RO2 is its music score..."

Arts and entertainment is a tough biz. If you aren't innovative or creative, you should stay home. :)

Upvote 0
I never heard of RO before RO2 came out, so I'm new blood. Been playing "Vanilla" since day one. I hate classic it's too slow and there's no ZOOM! ect. lol, Don't care if there's no crosshair. I like some of the new maps, some are just a camping/sniper zone with having to run 700m across open fields. There's still the annoying bugs, like the SL inventory bug ect.

THIS.

The new classic mode has ruined the game. not even the staff at TWI are happy only RO:eek:st fan boys...and even some of those guys dont like the classic as it isnt enough like the original.

Classic mode may as well be called Rifle skirmish mode. Compeltly stupid game mode if i ever have seen it.

Once it is released to servers...you will probabaly find most admins wont actully run the classic mode except for a selct few hard heads who love RO:eek:st

Upvote 0
Well the good thing is they won't have to run classic mode on all the servers, as far as I know a load more server options are being added.
So maybe a slightly more realistic realism mode will emerge, which I think is what most people wanted in the first place.

Its all very well having slow inaccurate soldiers in classic mode but when(if) bigger maps become available we will appreciate the accuracy,zoom and faster speed.
I can only speak for me and those i play RO2 with but a more realistic Realism mode is all that we wanted i.e. No bandaging,slower ironsights from sprinting etc.
I think TWI are covering all the bases so it should give us loads of options for servers, and something for everyone hopefully!

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
THIS.
Once it is released to servers...you will probabaly find most admins wont actully run the classic mode except for a selct few hard heads who love RO:eek:st
I think you're forgetting that RO:OST/DH had WAY more features than RO2 does right now.

Theres more "Realism", attention to detal, variation in gameplay, and features in the first two minutes of this video than there is in all of RO2:

[url]http://youtu.be/EySQ0Mt7CVY[/URL]

It was hard for it to be a total camp fest when there were a bunch of tanks, armoured cars, APC's, and rocket propelled anti-tank weapons to go around.

Upvote 0
THIS.

The new classic mode has ruined the game. not even the staff at TWI are happy only RO:eek:st fan boys...and even some of those guys dont like the classic as it isnt enough like the original.

Classic mode may as well be called Rifle skirmish mode. Compeltly stupid game mode if i ever have seen it.

The perfectly good question here then for the umpteenth time: why on earth did TWI introduce classic mode, considering it's only (according to them) very small fraction of the community? They had no obligations to cave in to the demands, yet they still ended up doing so. It's worthy of some kind of recognition or even a medal to break already broken fanbase even further by additional gamemodes and then inducing further drama to the point it's almost functional yo dawg- meme joke.

Upvote 0
Oldih said:
The perfectly good question here then for the umpteenth time: why on earth did TWI introduce classic mode, considering it's only (according to them) very small fraction of the community?
Goal is to create a game appealing to all factions playing it and make the playerbase grow. The outcome remains to be seen.

Don Draper said:

Once it is released to servers...you will probabaly find most admins wont actully run the classic mode except for a selct few hard heads who love ROst
With all due respect, you're saying the same what the opposite faction is claiming. You're acting the same way as they are: you use same argument and are holding strong belief that your opinion is right and all the other are wrong. What you base this predictions on?

It's a good thing that both you and they will have separate their own game modes to play in. Both sides will be happy that way and will not interact with one another, because it seems to cause needless ferment.

Upvote 0