• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What happened to the modding community?

Because this game is already dead, more bots on servers than human players!

This is probably it. If an MP game does not do good from day one (or shortly after release) there are little chances it will ever gain traction. Once an MP game dies, it dies.

Mods, patches, and DLC can slow this down and retain a small community of followers, but don't expect the player base for RO2 to ever double what it is now.

I wish RO2 would be re-released as an RO3, extra content, more defined audience and gameplay style, and a working SDK from release. Add in a lot of new content (expand to Battle of Berlin?) and sell it for cheap ($20, $10 for RO1/2 owners) and maybe we'll see a decent player base. Though I doubt this is a viable solution from TWI's standpoint.

I really hope the upcoming patches and content will draw some more players into the game. The knowledge that no community maps are never played on has removed all incentive for me to work on my map.

Apply this concept to people thinking of picking the game up again or buying it. As I said, once a game is dead it is dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, modding RO2 is quite much harder in terms of making content and
it doesnt help that all the best are gathered under one mod-team.

So Rising Storm will make it. Also InCountry Vietnam will make it as there
are many modding veterans from Mare Nostrum.

The rest of mod teams, well we will see...... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well, modding RO2 is quite much harder in terms of making content and
it doesnt help that all the best are gathered under one mod-team.

So Rising Storm will make it. Also InCountry Vietnam will make it as there
are many modding veterans from Mare Nostrum.

The rest of mod teams, well we will see...... :rolleyes:
What about the Karelian Front team? Will you guys make it?

Upvote 0
Here's an option: Steam Workshop.

I was just looking at that this lunchtime. I think we can only add content there if TWI tell steam they want to be a part of the Steam Workshop.....I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works.

But yes, that would be one way to do it, but even then, you are relying on pubbers to subscribe to that workshop in order to know/download any new content. Afaik, it will not auto push content if you have the game installed.

Upvote 0
After the SDK, we had a burst of creativity with several new mutators and maps coming out. Now we haven't had a new one in a long while, and no one is playing custom maps. Why aren't there 64 servers running Butovo, Provkhoy, Ogledow, Arad, etc.

I had to run an event with prizes offered just to get 32 players on Arad2.

It's so dissapointing.
To answer your broader question about lack of a modding or custom map community, it's really not hard to figure out. Hardly anyone plays RO2. You need a decent sized community to take advantage of non-stock as well as stock content in a game. Furthermore, mod teams are less likely to form in extremely small communities, or won't want to waste time developing for games which don't have a large enough fanbase to support mods. There are other factors certainly, but I think this is by far the biggest one. People will make due with a lack-luster or bugged SDK if there is a strong community to support custom content, so that's not really the issue as annoying as it may be.

To quote another poster:

Well, from what I've heard from people that have used the SDK it still needs optimization. Plus when it was released it was during a time when people were abandoning the game in droves. As a modder, why spend months of time working on a mutator or map if there are very few people around to play it? I know there are a couple of large mods in the works right now, but for most people it is discouraging to even try it.

In this case, unfortunately the obvious answer is the right one ....

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Well, from what I've heard from people that have used the SDK it still needs optimization. Plus when it was released it was during a time when people were abandoning the game in droves. As a modder, why spend months of time working on a mutator or map if there are very few people around to play it? I know there are a couple of large mods in the works right now, but for most people it is discouraging to even try it.

Well I'm using the SDK from the beta SDK release and must say it hardly crash on me.
The only certain crash I will have is when I copy in Lit mode.

I manage to made a large part of my map with only 4 gig and even then the crashes I had where the mentioned Copy in Lit mode. And off course at a certain moment it refused to build lighting caused by not enough memory. Solved that with upgrading to 12 gig.

But as Hockeywarrior said we need people playing custom maps. But that I already mentioned in my
previous post in this topic. It all takes to long now. Now I'm waiting with a map ready to test/play.
But this will only happen when all problems are solved.
A good thing is I have plenty of time polishing the bloody thing. :):):):)

Last edited:
Upvote 0