• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Positive Thread--Favorite Role, Weapon, Feature, Map

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
Just what the title says. What is your favorite role, weapon, unique feature, and multiplayer map in Red Orchestra 2?

Favorite Role: Engineer. There is no thrill like crawling on your belly to reach a tank's blind spot, checking one last time for enemy fire, and then making the heart-pounding dash towards the enemy tank, satchel or AT grenade at the ready. The Engineer is the consumnate team player--his job is to open new paths for his team, destroy objectives, and neutralize enemy tanks. It requires patience to slowly make your approach, managing your stamina, staying unseen until the last possible moment. Sometimes, the role can be intensely frustrating, but that is overshadowed by the enormous reward that comes with seeing friendly troops pour into the doorway you just cleared, or with watching a Panzer IV's turret fly high into the sky as a bright explosion tears the vehicle apart.:IS2:

Favorite Weapon: DP-28. Sure, it may have a slow rate of fire. Sure, it doesn't have upgrades. But, it's accurate, hard-hitting, and reliable. You really have to mash the trigger to even be in danger of destroying the barrel. And the magazine rotates while the weapon fires! Without even pressing the Reload Check button, you can instantly estimate how much ammunition is left in your magazine. The weapon model looks pretty good, animations are really nice... Green tracers are just the cherry on top.

The TT-33 comes in second place. Hits hard, looks great, sounds AWESOME... The animations are flawless, blindfiring it around a corner makes you feel invincible, and it's fairly accurate. My favorite of the handguns.

Favorite Feature: Reload Check, and by extension, the whole gamut of weapon animations in general. At least two different animations per weapon for checking how much ammunition is in your current magazine? What other shooter lavishes that much detail on the firearms? It's what makes that SVT-40 or Mauser Karabiner 98k feel REAL and POWERFUL when you pull the bolt back to do a brass check, or when you rebolt and sparks fly from the contact of metal on metal. AND it's perfectly practical! It's not just eye candy... going to enter the next room after spraying down two hostiles? Hold R and weight your mag in one hand, and you suddenly realize that it's almost empty.

Seriously, the weapon animations in RO2 are second to none. NO other game has firearms that feel so material, so heavy. Two seperate reload animations for nondeployable weapons depending on whether you're in cover or not. Three seperate reloads for deployable weapons. Two to three reload check animations. Barrel change, blindfire, partial reloads, cycling actions... and they're all beautiful.

Favorite Map: Gee, this one's a hard one... some of the maps have truly great atmosphere. Red October and Fallen Fighters are up there in terms of atmosphere, and Spartanovka has great gameplay. Grain Elevator scores well on both, and is revolutionary in its vertical dimension. Still, I have to say that Mamayev wins for me, even in its current unfinished state. Terrific atmosphere, great gameplay, and a generally awesome feeling. Maybe its the blazing T34 nestled up against the wrecked Panzer IV it rammed from one side even in death. Maybe it's the map of Stalingrad in the Command Center. Maybe its the great HMG positions. The claustrophobic tunnels and trench networks. The rolling, shell-blasted terrain. Truly a great work of map making.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just thought that we needed a little more positivity in these forums. We all have things we'd like to see or see changed in RO2, but we also all have things we currently enjoy, and those things sometimes seem to get forgotten. The game isn't perfect, but for the most part, we all have things we love about it.

Hello Mr. Nikita..........

Man I gotta say I love the semi's. I like larger maps and they are perfect!
I could never handle the PPSH in RO1 except the 43. The gun was always to hard for me to control. In RO2 it is much easier and I do like them for Red Oct. especially clearing the front of the wall on the 1st cap as German.

My Fav. role is Commander. I just like getting the team to play together and pull off upsets, especially when we are down a lot on reins.

My Fav. Maps........... Any of the larger ones.......Stock I like Red Oct, Commissars, Sparta, and Fallen Fighters. For the Custom I am in love with Cold Steel.. now that is an RO1 style mod map... Same feel and all. And Provkoy.

My Fav. Feature has got to be just the smoothness of running and stopping to pull up my iron sights etc... The game is just so smooth.... so much smoother than RO1....

Great Thread! Thx Nikita

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Favourite Role - Machine Gunner: Lugging that heavy weapon to the front line, mowing down groups of enemies, covering large areas, I can usually lock-down complete sections of the map from certain positions (Until I get popped by a sniper, but that's all part of the fun!). Laying numerous ambushes, letting them walk into my steam of boolets.

Favourite Weapon - DP-28: In all my hours of being an Allied Machine gunner, I have never once selected the MG34 as an option, and there's a reason for that! (Not just because I like keeping some historical accuracies xP ) I can use it like a rifle, shooting of single shots to hit targets, a two shot bursts for a little more effect and then just spraying it down-range to keep everyone's head down, such a versatile weapon. Not to mention the fact that I've learned how to hip-fire this beutey at close range with (almost) deadly precision.

Favourite Feature - First Person Cover System: In the majority of situations where I've used it, I've somehow worked to to my advantage. Being able to pop up quickly and fire at someone, or just poke my head out to view the battlefeild, even a blind-fire grenade or two, not to mention the occaisonal random spray over the top of some cover. It feels very immersive and the fact you can't see the guy you are blind-firing at makes it feel so much better. There were a few contenders for this spot but this one came out trumps in my book.

Favourite Map - Red October Factory: It's the map with it all, long range shooting, close quaters fighting and the odd tank to avoid with great care. Each class comes into it's own on this map, especially for the Allied side; the Engineers rushing to open doors / windows in the objective to get their troops in faster, the commander guiding troops to both sides at once, MG's covering windows and the flanks, riflemen and assaults getting knee-deep in the enemy, and smoke, soooo much smoke. :D

Upvote 0
Favourite role - Rifleman

Favourite weapon - Probably the Kar 98k seeing as its my highest leveled weapon. My least favourite has to be the G41. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Favourite feature - Blind firing is always fun and I like the cover system quite a bit.

Favourite map - Grain Elevator and Mamayev.

Upvote 0
Favorite role- Rifleman. Bolt actions are probably the toughest weapon to use. Probably requires the most tactical play. You can't bail out bad tactics by spraying bullets all over. I feel like I'm cheating with an automatic :)

Favorite weapon- Either of the bolt action rifles. I like the sights on the Mosin a little more. The Kar sounds a little cooler though. For some reason the Mosin sounds a bit like a pop gun.

Favorite feature- Ballistics. I like adjusting my sights for those 200 meter shots and landing a headshot. I just wish my ping didn't have such a distorting effect on bullet travel time, but hopefully a fix is in the works...

Favorite map- Spartanovka. Good map for just about any weapon. Open enough for rifles to excel, but also has some close range encounters. I like getting a good spot to cross shoot into enemies' flanks.

Upvote 0
Favorite Role: Was MGunner. I love the detail of the loading sequences. The barrel change, the over heat, the single shot, seeing the magazine turn, being able to change the sighted range.
I also love the bolt action and all of its animation sequences, pure genius. Have never seen anything like it in a game before.

Upvote 0
Favourite Role - I like variation, but it feels good to dominate the battlefield as an Elite Rifleman.

Favourite Weapon - The nagant revolver is really fun because it's so weak. One time I killed a small but heavily armed assault squad with this little thing. :D

Favourite Feature - Just the way the game plays, the lack of crosshair, the need for tactical movement etc... I don't know how I'd ever go back to another shooter. :eek:

Upvote 0
Favorite Role: Elite Rifleman...Highly mobile, good at long and close ranges. Facilitates sneaksiness :)

Favorite Weapon: MG34...Semi- and full-auto, good accuracy when deployed, SICK upgrades "please sir, can I have some more BELTS for my boomstick?", hipfiring (put on your best Sly Stallone Sneer and go all Johan Rammbo on Ivan :D) and best of all...Firepower that'll make your foes S%^& themselves. What's not to like?

Favorite Feature: Adjustable sights and stripper clips...both are sooooo awesome.

Favorite map: Oh man, I can't decide. If BOH-Rekrut ever finishes the Univermag it will be king, though.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
Favourite Role - Pionier
I would prefer being a Pionier if the Haft-Hohlladung wasn't so unrealistic and also if Pioniere had a chose of K98.

Favourite Weapon - K98
It would be better if I could take the Bayonet on and off.

Favourite Feature - Pistols
RO2 is probably the only game that made Pistols deadly, No idea where the gaming cliche came from that pistols need a whole clip to kill one guy. I love to go Russian Commander and just take a pistol somtimes.

Favourite Map - Probably Commisars House because it's looks a lot like the real place (Some buildings are missing) and because it's the 305 Infanterie-Division. If only there weren't Panzer IVs...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fav's (sorta)

I'm the type of person who finds it difficult to choose a single favorite of anything. But here's an arbitrary selection:

Role: AT. Serious tankers may say it's too easy for the rifle to penetrate their armor, but it's still quite a challenge to take out a tank with AT infantry compared with regular infantry vs. infantry combat. I love the satisfaction of striving at this role. Supremely frustrating at times, but very rewarding.

Weapon: AVT. It's a masochistic thing, almost; I love the rattly sounds, the wild recoil, the power, and on the less masochistic side the ability to switch to semi-auto for longer range engagements.

Feature: Mantling over obstacles. Although in modern gaming it's quite conventional, I would say this feature has the biggest improvement on overall gameplay between the previous game and RO2, and it's one of those rare indisputables in the RO2 community. You never see anti-mantling threads.

Map: Tough one, as I like each map for different reasons. Since I picked AT, I'll have to pick a combined arms map arbitrarily. I'll say Red October Factory. Great layout, feels large, and it's fun to play as AT or even Engineer and blow stuff up (but is fun for any role, really). I prefer to play as Allies because it feels like a great challenge. Not as fun when you get auto-kicked and session-banned for blowing up a door or the Welding Shed because people are wasting time capping it no matter how many times you warn them beforehand (my engineer's perspective: much more efficient to focus all effort on C and use the push ahead of the Welding Shed to keep the shed clear for the Engineer to get in and blow it in seconds instead of having to fight for the capture).

Upvote 0
Favorite feature: I'll be weapon resting when we have the increased sway. How many games go through the trouble for that?

Favorite map: Grain elevator: For such a small map, there's tons of options, good action, and it's good for every class.

Favorite Weapon: Moisin-Nagant, just because it's such a classy weapon, and I know that even if I run out of ammo I can skewer the guy across the river with the bayonet.

Favorite Class: Machine gunner and rifleman are the only classes I play unless we're out on a class we need, and I can't in all good conscience choose between them.

Upvote 0
Favorite Role: Commander - Machine Gunner - Anti-Tank - Tank Commander

Favorite Weapon: P38 (Feels like a James Bond Pistol killing with style) - T33 (Probably the most brutal pistol in the game) - MG34 (Accurate, Alt Firing Modes Full & Semi Auto, Barrel Change) - DP28 (Accurate, Good Hip Firing Ability, Seems to reload quicker, doesn't overheat as fast) - G41 (Firing Sounds are Good, Detailed Reload Animations, Accurate) - Anti-Tank Rifle (Good Against Tanks, Better Against Infantry, Wall Penetration, Long Range Shots with little drop)

Favorite Feature: (new features to RO) Penetrable Objects - Cover System - Ammo Check - Properly Pivoting Bi-Pod Systems - Adjustable Sights - Blind Fire

Favorite Map: Pavlov's House - Barracks - Fallen Fighters

I know, it's supposed to be "Favorite" one thing..... but it's like Lays Potato Chips: "Bet you can't eat just one"

Favourite Feature - Pistols
RO2 is probably the only game that made Pistols deadly, No idea where the gaming cliche came from that pistols need a whole clip to kill one guy.....

Either that or where you aim is never where you shoot & you have to be less than 10 feet away to hit something.

ROCA & RO1 had a bit of this issue with making up inaccuracy for the pistols, but their stopping power was still pretty good when you hit.

Now in RO2, they act like they should..... although I did snag one enemy on the other side of Fallen Fighters with a P38 from the 2nd floor window while they were running..... I think that was fluke though.

It was still cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ROLE: Rifleman. Sounds boring, but doing well in this game with a standard issue bolt action is even harder than it was in RO:Ost....and I like the challenge.

WEAPON: Besides the bolts, I'd have to go with the G41 and SVT-40. Overall the weapons in this game are exceptionally well done.

NEW FEATURE(S): Mantling. Mantling. More Mantling. Proper deployment system for mg's. Ammo check is nice too.

MAP(S): Stock - Red October Factory. It has a large-ish & non-linear feel to it. Good spacing for flanking too. Nice balance of CQC and semi-long range shots. Custom - Cold Steel. With a little more polish, that could be the best ROHoS map yet. Tripwire needs to take a VERY CLOSE LOOK at that map. For those who haven't played it...it's basically like Lazur from Ost.

Thanks for a 'nothing but positive' thread...there's a lot to mention there and I hope this thread stays that way!

Upvote 0
ROLE: Squad Leader, I like commanding a squad and working together.

WEAPON: She's 5 feet tall, about 4kg, 111 years old now, 53 then, and fires a 7.62x54mmR at 800m m/s. She's my Mozy and has to this day yet to fail me. The Pahpahshah does offer a close second though and in third comes the Model 1895 revolver.

NEW FEATURE: Mantling, blindfire, and the moving from place to place in tanks.

MAPS: LENINGRAAAAD... Oh wait... Grain Elevator for infantry only and Pavlov's House for Combined Arms. Unfortunately I have yet to play the custom maps since none are in beta and I really don't want to go near the mess that is the full game at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0