• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sacrifice of Vehicle Interior Animations & Enter/Exit:

Sacrifice of Vehicle Interior Animations & Enter/Exit:

• Yes

Votes: 148 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 101 40.6%

• Total voters
Please just hear me out.
If we are to remove all standards just so the devs' can produce as much content as possible, then what kind of community would we be?
And what kind of developer studio would TWI be if they would trade their quality for quantity?
Ask yourself that question.
Everyone want more content, but please lets be patient.

You're not getting it though.... I'm not standing on the position where TW should half-*** everything in the game just to pile in more content that would also be half-assed.

I'm talking about getting rid of the interior eye candy to speed up the process of developing more content for the game.

The tank physics remains the same.

The way the vehicles work remains the same.

The level of mobility within the tanks and what you can do in them remains the same.

The tanks in ROCA/RO1 were of a great standard and quality, especially when compared to tanks in other similar FPS's. They were fun, they worked decently (especially in ROCA) and there were many to choose from and use, which all had their unique pros and cons.

Heck, even if RO2 had tanks that were of the same level of quality as in ROCA/RO1, they'd still be pretty good by today's standards.... but I'm not even suggesting they go back that far in development.

Keep the tanks how they currently are in RO2 (with a few minor tweaks here and there) and just get rid of the extra eye candy inside the tanks, such as animating yourself moving around from seat to seat, and looking 360 degrees around inside, since it doesn't add anything to your ability to operate the tank and is what I consider, a complete waste of time and resources that could be put into making other things for RO2.

Just because someone suggests or wants to have something dropped in the game so that TW can spend that time working on other things, that doesn't mean that someone wants the entire game to crap out and drop the quality of everything.

Just one thing..... one thing that doesn't really add much to the game compared to how much time and resources is put into making that thing.

And besides, when I'm playing, I don't have time to fiddle around and look at what everybody else is doing inside the tank.... my eyes are fixed to the outside of the tank, looking for targets.

Then again, I suppose it could be a good thing if the current interiors remain in the game..... cuz for those people who want them still in the game and who like looking at them will be distracted and not paying attention while I drive a tank round into them :cool:

Upvote 0
Still difficult to model everything and animate it, but I was under the false impression that you needed at least eight.

Just food for thought.

There might only be 4 moving animations, but you need to animate the rest of the tank crew (loading a shell, looking out the side window, driver changing gear or just idling animations). You have first person animations and and also third persons animations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nikita, you hit that nail right on the head! Cheers!
A person just can't compare Red Orchestra 2 and BF3. Even if I sometimes do, and RO2 "wins". ;)

Alright, lets settle this once and for all.

32778077.png

So yeah, you might have just a few animations when you are switching to a different seat buy you still have to animate the rest of the crew for any movement that they might possibly do. On top of that, you have to do the first person animations and the rest of the animations for the tanks, but those two sets are the regular drill in most games. So once again, just being able to look around freely (which doesn't serve any real purpose) and being able to see your player switch to an other seat (which could be replaced by a black screen) forces you to make over 70 third person animations.

Also, if TWI would have the same amount of cash/resources than Dice, they would have probably made the same mistakes. Having more stuff doesn't really make you better.

Reactions: Nylle and Hjanne
Upvote 0
tank animations should have been left to a developer making a tanking sim or one with millions of dollars worth of human resources.

As it stands, and i said this since the first tanking video was released, interior animations were a poor design decision on the part of TWI.

Honestly does it even matter? Everytime i've tanked my tank has just been completly destroyed and so i never even have to switch positions or do anything like that...

Upvote 0
So?? TWI did a great job on the interior animations.

Now you Einsteins want to see it all hit the bin?

Cripes, does the negativity ever STOP?

Enough BS already!

Mike, we're not saying that the jobs with the tank is piss-poor done. Far from it. But the level of detail of the tank interiors is a bad decision choice. Unlike RO1 (and most games these days) where you simply had to make an animation set with 20-30 animations, you now have to make 100+ animations. And the challenge here is that most of the animations are not really simple. You need to make some research on how the crew had to operate the tank. How the parts of the interior of the tank moved and they interacted with each other. Like I said in the other thread. The level of detail we currently have is on par to what you would find in a movie or in a tank simulator. RO2 is neither a tank simulator or a movie, it's a video game.

All I want to do is to be able to work on vehicles for RO2 without having to code down every animations and having to do 100+ animations when all that work is not even influencing the gameplay.

See, you don't hesitate to support the mappers when they show signs of frustration. All I'm trying to do here is to help them by making troup transport vehicles and armored patrol cars without having to spend 10x the amount time required to make a vehicle for any other game. Would you think that having halftracks and APCs would benefit to a map like Arad? Start by cutting your own BS and do some research on how complicated it is to make the interior of a vehicle and everything that is required to have a result similar to what we currently have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mike, we're not saying that the jobs with the tank is piss-poor done. Far from it. But the level of detail of the tank interiors is a bad decision choice. Unlike RO1 (and most games these days) where you simply had to make an animation set with 20-30 animations, you now have to make 100+ animations. And the challenge here is that most of the animations are not really simple. You need to make some research on how the crew had to operate the tank. How the parts of the interior of the tank moved and they interacted with each other. Like I said in the other thread. The level of detail we currently have is on par to what you would find in a movie or in a tank simulator. RO2 is neither a tank simulator or a movie, it's a video game.

Speaking of movies........... :cool:

How many "Tank Simulators" have you been in? Better yet, how many Tanks have you been in? Best leave that to Alan and Bovington. As for the tank interior and crew animations, its a decision TWI made that many of us enjoy. Must that too take a hike because "somebody doesn't like them" for one reason or another? Yes, its a video game with a magnanimous endeavor on the part of TWI to provide the very best game they could. Same as RO was. I have no problem with those lofty goals.​

All I want to do is to be able to work on vehicles for RO2 without having to code down every animations and having to do 100+ animations when all that work is not even influencing the gameplay.

That's nice! So now the tanks must be half-assed to become doable in this lifetime? I don't think so. Consider this; if you pursue this task in a positive manner, you are more than likely to succeed. I am more than simply aware of the true enormity of the task before you. Maybe a reliance on common sense and less on emotion is needed. Perhaps if you used and reused the interior anims as needed, the grief of original creation could be minimized.​

See, you don't hesitate to support the mappers when they show signs of frustration. All I'm trying to do here is to help them by making troup transport vehicles and armored patrol cars without having to spend 10x the amount time required to make a vehicle for any other game. Would you think that having halftracks and APCs would benefit to a map like Arad? Start by cutting your own BS and do some research on how complicated it is to make the interior of a vehicle and everything that is required to have a result similar to what we currently have.

You bet I support Custom Mappers and especially when they voice their frustrations. I'll do the same for Modelers and Animators anytime as long as they voice their frustrations about the task at hand and not at me. Coming at me will solve nothing and it will especially not intimidate me. I've been around the block 5 times and even put the street signs up. ;)

As for the vehicles you mention, your best bet is to do it your way and not argue about it. Just do it your way. Minimize what you must and devote the best of your abilities where you think its needed most. You might even consider collaborating with TWI. You never know what they have on a shelf somewhere.​

I never thought you were so discouraged.. turn that discouragement into determination to "get 'er done!" It works! :)

Stop, take a deep breath and understand that in most cases, thinking positive will accomplish far more than simply "pitching a b*tch". Remember, anything worthwhile accomplishing is never easy but the satisfaction and recognition for having done so is proportionately greater.

I'm with you brother in wanting RO2 to be the best it can be, not against you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll voice what I was talking with olive about at the time he snapped that picture.

IMO Twi should provide the functionality so that modders can make a tank to RO1 level of standards and have it work in game.

The level of work required for a modder to make a tank to the games current standards is beyond acceptable; this really isnt a fault of TWI's because they shot high. That being said, there were hundreds of tanks that were added to ro ost by loyal community members, and it would be nice to see some of that continuing on in HOS.

Upvote 0
Is it not possible to have a simpler tank without all the interior done?
TWI are going to carry on doing their two vehicles every 6 months whatever is posted here, so maybe finding a way of cutting out all the stuff you dont see and having high quality exteriors is the way to go.
I must admit I haven't looked at the way damage is affected by the interiors so am not sure if this would be a problem.

Upvote 0
@ Mike Nomad

why do you always think everyone is posting "negative BS" as you describe it? Most of us are just making valid points and you are either not capable of understanding this or you do not read the posts properly.

The two words constructive criticism may be worth looking up for you! I will borrow you my dictionary in case you cannot find it...

Seriously your comments is what upsets people most in these forums.
We all like the game and are passionate about it otherwise none of us would be here so please leave the discussion to those who want to discuss and not kill it with your insults! Please get this in your head but you will probably just post another thing like always as a reply...just read first and then think about it before you post that is all I ask for...

Thank you.

Upvote 0
@ Mike Nomad

why do you always think everyone is posting "negative BS" as you describe it? Most of us are just making valid points and you are either not capable of understanding this or you do not read the posts properly.

The two words constructive criticism may be worth looking up for you! I will borrow you my dictionary in case you cannot find it...

Seriously your comments is what upsets people most in these forums.
We all like the game and are passionate about it otherwise none of us would be here so please leave the discussion to those who want to discuss and not kill it with your insults! Please get this in your head but you will probably just post another thing like always as a reply...just read first and then think about it before you post that is all I ask for...

Thank you.

Its not WHAT your ("most of us") say.... Its HOW its said.

You don't know the meaning of "constructive criticism". Nor do most of the Negative Nancies here.

The negativity in this forum against RO2, TWI and those who support TWI & RO2 is interminably relentless.

Just as your personal attack post is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See above...

I can't believe you did it again. My point is that you seem to misinterpret many people here like Olivier, myself and others and then call anything you dislike (or misinterpret) BS. That is all and you keep doing this. Look at the posts you described as negative BS. Some even make the effort explaining it to you but you don't seem to get it.

Just show some respect even if you oppose.

And no it is not a personal attack just asking for some common sense. I even tried to explain the purpose of these or any forums but all efforts seem futile.

Negative Nancies? Do you even realize when you are being offensive anymore?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kashash
Upvote 0