• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will bots always be allowed on ranked servers?

I'm trying to understand the bot issue. I hear two different stories....

There are those that complain and say they are tired of getting headshot by ai bots from 100-200 meters away (and while said bots are facing the other way). Then there are those that think bots are too easy to kill and that grinding bots to level up is 'unfair'. Killing Floor anyone? :p

So which is it guys Are the bots too hard and play unfairly? Or are the bots too easy?

Methinks people just complain to complain.....;)

With high level AI, in my bot experience, the one constant I see (on TE) is that if you've found a good spot and are defending an objective and clearing out the enemy, the AI will send a bot out to kill you. Especially, the longer you've been alive and the closer to time running out for the objective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the bots are stupid, but at least they know how to shoot! they may run around like headless chickens, but once several of them have taken secure positions they will eventually kill you.

compared to arma2's bots they aren't too bad. those also run around like retards, but once they are aware you are near they mostly know how to eliminate you. (play some armory challenges with any unscoped assault rifle or mg and you'll know what i'm talking about).

the main flaw of ro2's bots is that their actions (except running back and forth between positions) are very predictable: bot takes cover behind a low wall, you still see his helmet sticking out. once every 5-10s they will get out of cover and try to shoot you. it's fairly simple to kill them, as long as there aren't too many of them in your line of sight.

i've never seen a bot do a magic 180

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't know what you guys are talking about, but all I'm wondering is why there are bots on ranked servers.

well i quess theres no point of doing anything about it, as some of the guys have got to honor 99 with bots help, so others should be allowed to do that allso, not that i care that, I tend to just play with other human players

Upvote 0
Like I said in the title -- will bots always be allowed on ranked servers? It seems like it trivializes the levelling system when people can easily grind up their stats against non-humans.

:confused:

Yeah, I guess so. I think its good. In that way people can level up and get done with it already. As Major Day Yes said, levelling is trivial. So I guess it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
Bots are partly to blame for that as when the whole bot farming thing picked up it was a frequent sight to see 30+ player spread across 30 servers farming bots instead of y'know, joining the same server and having a half decent game?

Blame the game not the players.

When levelling became part of RO2 it changed the game's core values completely.
Levelling and weapons grinding is now an integral part of the game and unlocking every weapon and reaching 'Hero' status is the game's primary goal - good teamplay is a secondary one at best.

Upvote 0
Blame the game not the players.

When levelling became part of RO2 it changed the game's core values completely.
Levelling and weapons grinding is now an integral part of the game and unlocking every weapon and reaching 'Hero' status is the game's primary goal - good teamplay is a secondary one at best.

Oh I'm not blaming the players the grind for most things is ridiculous at best. But the bots are part of the game and putting silly incentives is 'okay' but it's not okay when you give players a way to get that incentive quicker than normal by actively hurting the game via avoiding populated servers or populating servers.

Either the incentives shouldn't have been there or bots shouldn't have counted towards rank. The game would probably still be unhealthy at this point(as it has a ton of other problems than just bots) but it would probably be a lot better off than it is now. Because when you open the server browser and you see 200 servers all with one or two people in it each, the rest bots, what does that say to you? It says dead game to me. Now remove the incentive to play on 'bot' farming servers and players will clump up instead of spreading out - and having 4-5 active servers says an 'alive' game to me.

edit:
just to clarify, I'm not saying bots should be removed. They help seed servers by giving the first few people that join something to do. It's just they should have never countered towards rank. It's too late now though as the damage is done and if tripwire change it they'd probably piss off the bot farmers and lower the population even more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It makes no difference if bots count for rank or not. High score is handed out for nearly uninteractive mechanics such as simply being in a cap zone, and there are no meaningful score penalties, so ranking will inevitably and continually advance regardless of player performance.

Thus, the only change in result from fighting incompetent enemies is in the rate of gain, and considering that the only statistically relevant gains from the ranking system (the bolt bayonets and PPSh drum mag) are all handed out quite early, the rate of gain is of negligible impact.

You may as well complain about the lengths some people go to for TF2 hats.

Upvote 0
It makes no difference if bots count for rank or not. High score is handed out for nearly uninteractive mechanics such as simply being in a cap zone, and there are no meaningful score penalties, so ranking will inevitably and continually advance regardless of player performance.

Thus, the only change in result from fighting incompetent enemies is in the rate of gain, and considering that the only statistically relevant gains from the ranking system (the bolt bayonets and PPSh drum mag) are all handed out quite early, the rate of gain is of negligible impact. Increased weapon stats are significant.

You may as well complain about the lengths some people go to for TF2 hats.

Except that the rate of gain is multiplied by a ridiculous amount when farming against bots and there are actual tangible in-game benefits that go far beyond mere cosmetics.

I mean, the speed with which you can level against bots isn't even comparable to the real speed of a good player versus only humans. Just because everyone will eventually level up given enough time doesn't make it any more rational to allow those with a little spare time to effortlessly zoom to the top of the levelling system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0