• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TE-Butovo Praise Thread!

Susi

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2008
Finland
Few days ago i had first time change to play Butovo. And what kind of
map that was :) WOW!!! My face was literally like this :D whole time.

It some how felt bigger than most of original maps. It was maybe little
bit less detailed than original maps because of size, but that didn't break
the immersion on any point. Actually first time on RO2 i felt like fighting
on real environment. It just felt like real russian village not like some
theater stage, which is how i feel on Spartnovka, even that Spartnovka
is good map.

Also caps were well made, and 3rd one was really challenging.
Only few thing i would change is that make 1,2,4,5 cap little bit challenging
for axis and 3rd little bit easier, so that capping would have that same
level of challenge on every cap.

Also maybe Soviets should have change to recap on 2nd cap, because
now Axis doesn't bother to clean it from Soviets, they just occupy basement
until building is capped and then continue to next cap, even that Russians
got top floor.

Anyways huge salute to BOH-rekrut, if i would have money i would
hire you to make maps for Karelian Front. :)

This is a very good map. It has become our favorite lately. The terrain seems to favor the German team a little, but this can be overcome if the Russian team has good skills.
The map needs to be studied a little before you will get entirely comfortable. There is a very influential use of elevation. The map is larger than many. My understanding is that Butovo is actually a battle that took place near Moscow. I'm
assuming 1941, but I'll have to look it up.

Upvote 0
Apparently there are two points of referrence for Butovo. One has to do with a villiage that was a focal point during the battle of Kursk. But almost all references point to the infamous Butovo near Moscow. Any referrence to battle details are completely overshadowed by numerous research articles about the NKVD killing field and mass graves at the Butovo site. The history and battle information upon which the Butovo map is based has so far escaped my ability to find it. I'd be grateful if those that designed the map would point us to a historical referrence covering what happended there and the dates during which it took place.

Upvote 0
I didn't like it at first, but I'm warming to it as I understand it more. It's a good map.

My complaints have to do with the fences. Do we really need all those fences? If so, it seems there needs more coverage in the mantling nodes department (also some of the low stone walls need mantling nodes!).

Also it would be very awesome if the fences were destructible, since we are comparing to Spartanovka.

Upvote 0
I'm not a big fan of it. It channelizes the teams into narrow areas that wind up negating most of the space on the map. The left and right flanks are almost completely useless because they're just wide-open flat expanses. The reinforcements are far too generous for the time limit's tightness relative to the map size and slow zone cap rate, which pushes the offense into zerg-rushing everything. The options in playing this map are very limited with the layout it has right now.

Then there's the technical issues...the fences are just a mess, the building lighting is poor (someone's invisible when they're inside a huge window on the sunward face of the building? Yeah, right), the active cap zones don't show up on the map, there's no resupplies anywhere in the middle areas, and the spawn point placement requires the Germans to spawnkill to take the church while also encouraging their own SLs to not actually play the game so they can fuel the zerg rush.

It's decent for a first attempt, but it's not very playable.

Upvote 0
I love it!

I love it!

My favorite part of any war game is house to house fighting. Butovo has no shortage of it. I love the feeling of going from room to room with a bunch of teammates rooting out the enemy scum that are hiding there.:D

And if im correct, Butovo is the only map where ive seen entire squads (of real peopl) lining up along the side of a house like in that picture when grain elevator is loading.

Not to mention the other flank of butovo is more open ground with farm houses. its a perfect blend and I dont feel that its a funnel at all.

Upvote 0
I'm not a big fan of it. It channelizes the teams into narrow areas that wind up negating most of the space on the map. The left and right flanks are almost completely useless because they're just wide-open flat expanses. The reinforcements are far too generous for the time limit's tightness relative to the map size and slow zone cap rate, which pushes the offense into zerg-rushing everything. The options in playing this map are very limited with the layout it has right now.

Then there's the technical issues...the fences are just a mess, the building lighting is poor (someone's invisible when they're inside a huge window on the sunward face of the building? Yeah, right), the active cap zones don't show up on the map, there's no resupplies anywhere in the middle areas, and the spawn point placement requires the Germans to spawnkill to take the church while also encouraging their own SLs to not actually play the game so they can fuel the zerg rush.

I logged in just to upvote this. I personally cant wait for it to come off the 2fjg server or atleast be updated and seriously reworked. As it is now its another grain elevator, a blind and pointless meat grinder.

Upvote 0
It's a great map, compared to most of RO2.

The first point is rather easy too cap, but the germans take many losses.

Second is pretty hard too: Pretty open space, if it isn't rushed it ends up with way too many losses, as the allies get to the nice sitting places.

B to C is the toughest, but a smoke screen and good assault/MP40 job can do wonders. Staying on the first level for the russian can do wonders, if well placed MG block the flow on the sides.

The last two points are pretty undefendable tough. Fire from C prevents you from reaching the church as a russian and E is large and messy.

it has the feel of some RO maps, that were pretty epic.

i don't know if it was historically correct, but adding a few trenches near the church could be nice.

Upvote 0
It's a good map with good gameplay--I'm not overcome with the Ogledow ecstasy consuming some people, but I like it!

Great visuals, great layout, fixed machine guns that actually cover good fields of fire... it's extremely well put together. Running to defend the Church across an open field, allies falling on either side of me, the sun bright in my eyes--a true moment of immersion.:IS2:

Upvote 0
The map favor to much russians . Special the first 2 caps are brutal hard for germany . Special B . I did my highest kill count on this map as russian mg . It was a full 64 slot server and i manage in 2 rounds to do 146 kills . I think this says all :) If u have good mgs in russian team , since there are only 2 slots avaible , then germany will get slaughtered .

Upvote 0

Uh, exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I logged in just to upvote this. I personally cant wait for it to come off the 2fjg server or atleast be updated and seriously reworked. As it is now its another grain elevator, a blind and pointless meat grinder.

Only server I play, Colt. I agree wholeheartedly. The map has potential, but needs updated drastically!

The map favor to much russians . Special the first 2 caps are brutal hard for germany . Special B . I did my highest kill count on this map as russian mg . It was a full 64 slot server and i manage in 2 rounds to do 146 kills . I think this says all :) If u have good mgs in russian team , since there are only 2 slots avaible , then germany will get slaughtered .

This is sadly true. I remember being on Germans twice with a really good Russian MG slaughtering everyone the entire map. It was ridiculous. I never did find out where he was exactly, somewhere on the left flank by the cap buildings.

Sorry, I know this is a praise thread, but I had to reply those quotes. I despised this map at first, but I'm warming to it. I will not, however, be able to support it until the above is fixed. That S*** is bananas.

Upvote 0