• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

I will repeat what I have said a lot of times:

I believe that sooner or later TWI will solve the issues people have with the game atm, such as:

- Historical issues
- Certain weapon characteristics
- Missing models
- Incorrectly modelled objects
- Map balance issues
- No big maps (A real selling point of the series)
etc etc...

All of these will most likely be addressed in the end, and I'm sure it will result in a well polished game.

We shouldn't stop posting constructive critiscism though, because the developers need the feedback in order to know what they did wrong and what to improve upon, and I'm sure sure they also welcome this.

That having been said, I agree that it would be nice with a little more feedback from the devs at times, but if they don't respond to our inquiries often enough because they are working their arses off actually fixing what we're complaining about, then I can live with it. I'll just keep posting about the issues I find within the game and then hope that the devs are listening and taking note, cause in the end that's all we can do anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder what your intent is Nader.

BTW, if RO2 was their most successful game yet and sold more than RO1 in the first week compared to RO1 in its whole lifetime, why is it played by so few players? Where did they go? Don't blame BF3 btw, thats like blaming Lady Gaga for your indie band being unpopular

Er, MOST games suffer a severe drop in player count after launch? A lot of people buy into hype only to play the game for a few hours and never touch it again? This is universal for almost every release under the sun?

You guys are acting like RO2 is the only game that has had a significant drop in player count during the first few months. A lot of people tried the game and didn't like it, or liked it but got distracted with some other games (like myself), or simply don't have time to play constantly. The difference between RO2 and these games is that RO2 is going to have extended, continual support with dozens of waves of fresh blood in as free weekends and sales roll around, whereas CoD and co. are simply thrown out into the wilds and left to fend for themselves while the company squirts out a copy-paste game they can charge $60 for.

RO2 isn't going anywhere because TWI needs RO2 to pay the bills for the next six years while they develop the next game on the charts. They can't -afford- to let it fail. According to the hard numbers, mate, RO2 is doing phenomenally well on their part. Continued support is only going to jack those player numbers up. It's the same thing they did with KF and RO1. A bad launch with bad numbers across the board, and then they keep cranking at it and draw in more and more players as the game becomes more and more polished. They're doing -exactly- what they did with KF and RO1. It just shocks me how many people are surprised by this, and who are convinced that TWI would so readily abandon their meal ticket.

What Ramm said, and what I have been saying, is that RO2 is doing -very- well for a TWI game this early in the life cycle, and that all the good content that so many members look back on with rose colored glasses wasn't added to earlier TWI titles until well after launch. The same thing is true here, only they're starting with a much larger playerbase than they had for any of the previous games, which is a very good sign for them as a whole.

As for the Batman macro, well, the head of TWI has come onto the forums and told us "guys, RO2 isn't dead, it's actually doing really well!" and several members are all to keen on correcting his statement with their own brand of reality...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a ****ty attitude from the devs to say battlefield took their players especially when RO1 vets are switching over.

Even worse to say the game can be changed with the SDK like it's an overnight deal. It will be at least 6 months before any mods to the gameplay are done, and then you have to wonder if the community will come back for it. It just reads like laziness from the devs after they failed to deliver.

What Ramm said, and what I have been saying, is that RO2 is doing -very- well for a TWI game this early in the life cycle, and that all the good content that so many members look back on with rose colored glasses wasn't added to earlier TWI titles until well after launch. The same thing is true here, only they're starting with a much larger playerbase than they had for any of the previous games, which is a very good sign for them as a whole.

'life cycle'? Games make 90%+ of their profit in the two weeks after release. It would make much more sense for them to pull out. It wont make a difference as they can still have sales for it.

I dont see any clear effect of BF3 when looking at the player amounts though. First there is a rock steady decline, then a patch released and the player amounts got a bump and went down with a slower decline. With a small spike every weekend. There is no clear jump around the 25th when bf3 was released although the slope of decreasing player amounts might have increased a bit.

http://steamgraph.burstpixel.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450&jstime=1&from=1315803600000http://steamgraph.burstpixel.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450&jstime=1&from=1315803600000

Anyway for giggles player amounts for RO1 with gamespy + waybackmachine
16 October 2006 at 11:00 us time Roost had 1261 players
8 Jan 2007 at 18:38 us time Roost had 1609 players
May 17 2007 at 19:48 Roost had 1705 players
Aug 18 2007 at 23:19 Roost had 1407 players

Steam stats + waybackmachine
7 sept 2008 Roost had max 1097 players
11th of may 2009 Roost had max 1095 players

Really interesting. While RO2 was a bigger 'success' the game will most likely be dead in a few months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And what gets me laughing (or shaking my head) are the people who act as though they were completely shocked and taken by suprise on what RO2 would be like and how Tripwire pulled a fast one on them by not telling them or showing them what RO2 was going to be like..... when there's piles of images, video, interviews and commentary from the devs on what to expect in RO2, long before the Beta was released......

Oh right. Maybe you should check the forums again. I give you a hint: check the posts and threads pre-release. Certainly interesting are the ones between July 2011 and October 2010. That's where many discussion started with concerns about certain game design choice. And that's the peak time of where assurances came that everything is optional, gameplay hasn't been dumped down and that the 2 game modes are significantly different.

You can still find statements from devs where they use the "it's optional", "calm down" and "get your facts straight" method to calm down all the worrying hardcore fans. I remember that in regard of a certain video, where somebody asked what's wrong with all those Mkbs in it, we were assured that it was filmed on a server with everything unlocked for marketing reason. It's optional, you know.

If you read the forums as much as you try to tell us and you still deny that these discussions and promises where there, then I simply say: You are a freaking liar.

You can do what you want. Laugh about me and my post. I think your statements are the same. Silly...

EDIT
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51715&page=2

post_old.gif
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Yoshiro
user_offline.gif

In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

icon1.gif

Some of you don't seem to understand the concept of relaxed realism vs normal mode yet. Relaxed realism is indeed designed to draw in players from other games, and let them understand the core systems behind RO are engaging and fun. Then you as a community can draw them into the non relaxed realism settings.

And no, just because a concept has been seen before in the likes of BF/CoD does not mean our implementation is like theirs. But we do abstract some concepts (such as artillery and the recon planes). Neither would fit into the game in a truly realistic fashion where you have to wait a few hours for artillery or a recon over the field.

Pretty, what do we blow up first? - Myn Donos

1 out of 1 members like this post. Like? |

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EDIT
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51715&page=2

post_old.gif
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Yoshiro
user_offline.gif

In Soviet Russia, Yoshiro is a cake
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

icon1.gif

Some of you don't seem to understand the concept of relaxed realism vs normal mode yet. Relaxed realism is indeed designed to draw in players from other games, and let them understand the core systems behind RO are engaging and fun. Then you as a community can draw them into the non relaxed realism settings.

And no, just because a concept has been seen before in the likes of BF/CoD does not mean our implementation is like theirs. But we do abstract some concepts (such as artillery and the recon planes). Neither would fit into the game in a truly realistic fashion where you have to wait a few hours for artillery or a recon over the field.

1 out of 1 members like this post. Like? |

what the...

gimme my f***ing money back!

Er, MOST games suffer a severe drop in player count after launch?

True. But its usually much less, maybe 10-20% will leave, and then the population will SLOWLY start to decrease.

RO2 was, 9,500 the first day and then 2 days later 5,000. In about a month it's lost 85% of its community. Good games dont do that.

Lets face facts here the only reason RO2 sold better than RO was because it had an established and loyal fan base who spent their time marketing for TWI. I personally my actions brought in at least 10-20 players, and each of those players might have brought in another few.

i guarantee you, that if RO3 were to be release it would sell less that RO2 and possibly Ost Front. I lost my trust, and anyone that asks me about RO2 i advise them to steer clear; so do the 10-20 i brought over

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will repeat what I have said a lot of times:

I believe that sooner or later TWI will solve the issues people have with the game atm, such as:

- Historical issues
- Certain weapon characteristics
- Missing models
- Incorrectly modelled objects
- Map balance issues
- No big maps (A real selling point of the series)
etc etc...

Thats after they fix performance issues and gamebreaking bugs like:
- No spawn bug
- Sound issues causing poor performance on half of the maps
- "Early start" bug(this will cause a lot of game-restarts in clangames)
- Generally poor performance
- Too much unnecessary "fluff" in some maps causing poor performance and general annoyance. Please get rid of those chairs, drawers etc floating around on the maps, they are cool the first hour you play the game, after that they are just annoying.
- Ammo crates not working properly(PPSH can get ammo from picked up PPSH, but not from ammo crates it seems)
- A ton of other bugs thats probably related to poor performance in many maps(mainly hit-detection).
- A lot of other smaller issues dealing with movement that can be very annoying at times(I.E, jumping over obstacles not always working, some places that should be easy to deploy MG's on aren't etc)
- Picking up items can be a pain sometimes. Make it a separate button in the menu, so we don't have to use the console to add custom keys for commands that really shouldn't be "custom".(the everything in one button should be an alternative, not the default)
- A built-in system to report bugs(like the one UWE uses in NS2). This should be useful for future games as well.

I've played the game 175 hours(not counting beta...which was about 70 hours), and enjoying it most of the time(by most i mean 60% or so). But i really don't want to upgrade my system just to play this game slightly better. And my system speccs are above recommended.

Still RO2 is the best online game I've played since Darkfall(but thats a MMO), maybe with all these bugs fixed, people with less patience than me will come back and play RO2 more.

Upvote 0
I stopped playing about 1 month ago, I will come back if and when I know i will find the game enjoyable. If by then there is no server to play on I shan't to be honest lose any sleep over it.

My enthusiaism for RO2 died and I've buried it. If it comes back excellent, if not then no problem. There are other game being developed I am looking forward to and no doubt I will be dissapointed with them aswell. It's all part of the course these days when your a gamer.

Upvote 0
The difference between RO2 and these games is that RO2 is going to have extended, continual support with dozens of waves of fresh blood in as free weekends and sales roll around
What you forget when ya talk about all this TWI free content generosity is that other games have 5x weapons, vehicles and bigger maps than RO2.. all this free content does is bring it on par with other games OVER TIME, instead of a full game on day1.

The weps in RO2 have nothing special about them compared to other games, except silly sounds. Vehicles & tanks are idd 10x better than in any other game but they are so poorly implemented that when I last played admins would just disable em coz maps are too darn small & the bot AI.

I bought a damn game that doesnt even play like it was promised, but figures its not even a game.. its some sort of long term, unfinished investment and im supposed to thank the devs for not ditching it and moving to RO3 (wonder who'd buy it after this scam), right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wanted to stay away from all the discussions but as usual I failed.
I think the expectations of the community where a little over the top which only could lead to dissappointment.

I have a love/hate relations with RO2. With 81 hours played I have nights where I had most enjoyable games and really like the game. These liked games are played on the infantry maps Spartanovka followed by Appartments and sometimes Grainelevator.

While the next night I get annoyed by all kind of things. I like to mention some of them

The controls/movement in cover.
The fact I shoot a guy point blank to see him fix himself with the sound of ducttape and kill me.
The Weird kills where I see my enemy aiming the moon but hit me.
The fact I accidently still have an empty weapon and hear a click.

Still I decided to the play the game with hopes it will be fixed. I have convidence it will get fixed. don't have interest in BF3 or MW3. I'm here to play the best WW2 game made. I don't have interest in Honor levels,upgrades,special weapons or whatever. My guess is this and the bugs chased a lot of people away from RO HOS.

Next is the gameplay in Territory. I have the feeling, I could be wrong that they are over to fast. Sometimes I see a team recap an area but this is more accidently. Most of the time I don't see recaps of a lost area.

As an example I take the Church in Spartanovka. Playing as Russian I never see them recap that Church. I think these Russians spawn way to far back on that map. Same for the Grainelevator I hardly see recaps.

It could be caused by me playing on the wrong team off course.

This is different in the Apparment maps where recapping the Park and Propagandahouse are common. Off course this is the outcome of people know their way in that map.

Hope this made sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dear Red Orchestra 2,

Let me be honest it was not exactly love on first sight. Even at the start of our relationship you were not that good looking. Its not like you are ugly or anything but lets be honest again. There wont be much people whistle after you on the street but that is okay. I am somebody who mostly looks to the inner values and that was always your strengh. Let me admit it, in the first days some of your personal ways of lifestyle were not easy for me to accept but with the time I learned to like them and I think those values are what makes you interesting and lovely.

Since then some times has passed like in most relationships we both had phases where we did not spend as much time together as before and maybe I also had 1-2 short affairs...
Okay you said you wanted to change a bit, you wanted to be a bit more open to other people and more modern stuff and that is your good right, It is your life and you have to make the decision for it. But I get the feeling you maybe forgot what I liked so much about you in the past.
I often try to go out with you but if lets face it, after 20 minutes I have to leave and do something else. In fact I rather go out with your older, less god looking sister darkest hour. She dont seem to have a identity crysis and knows who she is.

Upvote 0