• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

Thanks

Thanks

Great update and thank you Ramm for taking up the issue.
Glad to hear you are working on the important issues like pings etc. but from what I read also stay open minded in regards of general gameplay changes.

For the poster who asked what's in it for TWI to provide such long-term support. Consistent sales, word of mouth spreading. I gifted RO1 to one of my frinds only a few months before RO2 came out. He liked it and bought Killing Floor and Ro2. Just an example. EA and their likes "milk the cow" until there is no more milk and the cow dies. TWI's strategy is to keep the cow healthy and give a bit of milk every day. :p

I feel like buying a cow now...anyone have a cow?

Upvote 0
Thank you.

*dons new hat*

To the list of things you have learned, I hope one of them is to take control of future situations like this EARLY! A post like this should have been made within a week of the games release. It would have greatly cut down on speculation and perceived 'they are ignoring us' based dis satisfaction.

Second, less is more, just get the words "sorry" and "we will fix it" out and stop there. You've said you made a mistake, you've said you would fix it, don't go giving readers something that looks like a big fat excuse.
Even if it were true, I have always made a point of owning up to a mistake and fixing it even if there are some very good reasons as to why it happened. It earns a lot more respect and has for me turned dis-satisfied customers into return buyers. Heck one guy even told me he would come to me FIRST the next time he was looking to buy.

*dons the other hat*

That being said I'm glad to hear whats being worked on and whats coming down the pipeline.

@Died trying. I find that hard to accept. IF the release were within a month or two after large games like COD / BF3 release then yes it would have an effect. But if you are 4-5 months after then some players are tired of those games and looking for something fresh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you able to reproduce this "hit detection issue"? If so, we will definitely look into it, but in every attempt we've made(as far as I'm aware) we are unable to reproduce this issue.
Are you testing on LAN or something? :confused: Here is what you do.

1. Using the retail RO2 and not the Beta, join a server with reasonable ping (less than or up to 200ms is fine).
  2. Get lots of friends to join until the server is at capacity. You should notice your ping jump up maybe 200-300%.
  3. Do a lot of close quarters shooting. Get right behind a guy, aim at his head, and try to put a bullet into him. The bullet is much more likely to miss than it is to hit.
  4. Test at various ranges. Notice that while hipshooting might be better for very close range (since more bullets means more probability that one actually registers), hitting someone up close using ironsights is a fool's game.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the "clarification" and the information on what we can expect in the near future! I am certainly enjoying the game and to be quite honest I haven't felt that it's "dying" and with TWI's reputation of "game-maintenance" (which is used as a shovel to the face towards other companies) i feel very comfortable with the situtation.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
E

Upvote 0
  1. Using the retail RO2 and not the Beta, join a server with reasonable ping (less than or up to 200ms is fine).
  2. Get lots of friends to join until the server is at capacity. You should notice your ping jump up maybe 200-300%.
  3. Do a lot of close quarters shooting. Get right behind a guy, aim at his head, and try to put a bullet into him. The bullet is much more likely to miss than it is to hit.
  4. Test at various ranges. Notice that while hipshooting might be better for very close range (since more bullets means more probability that one actually registers), hitting someone up close using ironsights is a fool's game.

Just to dig into this a bit, you are saying that you join a server with 200ms ping, then when it gets full pings go up to 400-600ms? 200ms is the upward limit of what I would consider playable for the game (and the upward limit of what we would even support). If the server's ping climbs that much the CPU is severely overloaded, or something else is wrong. On the servers we test with here in Atlanta (remote, not on our LAN) people in the office here will have pings around 65-70ms at medium load and then in the worst cases climb up to about 100ms when the server is under heavy load with 64 players. We're working to improve even this, but 400-600ms sounds like that server has a major problem.

Upvote 0
Just to dig into this a bit, you are saying that you join a server with 200ms ping, then when it gets full pings go up to 400-600ms?
Indeed, yes. Join a 64-player server reporting a ping of 40 or 80, and when it's fully staffed you're looking at 200ms, maybe 250. The game laughs at you when you join a 180ms 64-man server because you can expect to actually have 350-400ms in-game. It's part of the reason why so few servers in Oceania are running the full 64 players; the ping just spirals out of control, and the close-range hitreg closely follows.

It may affect some people more than others, but it does affect everyone. I've never seen someone with less than 120ms on a full server, for example, even on 30ms servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you able to reproduce this "hit detection issue"? If so, we will definitely look into it, but in every attempt we've made(as far as I'm aware) we are unable to reproduce this issue.
Xienen, I might have been able to reproduce the possible cause to the hit detection bug (at least I think it's related).

A friend and I did some tests: pick the lvl 50 PPSh, put it on semi-auto and take cover behind something. Now blindfire, but instead of clicking once, hold the mouse button for a few seconds and it'll look like you are still firing as the weapon keeps shaking. Now exit the cover mode. The weapon sometimes will start to fire on auto without muzzle flash, sound and recoil, and sometimes it will act normal, but your hits won't register if you shoot at a wall.

EDIT (fix): The weapon sometimes will start to fire on auto on its own without muzzle flash, sound and recoil, but its bullets will register and might kill someone (though this can only be seen from the shooter perspective, everyone else will see him firing normally). Sometimes the weapon will act normal, but its bullets won't register if you shoot at a wall or at someone (also only visible from the shooter perspective, for others it'll appear as if he's nto firing at all).

I've also tested it with a bolt action rifle: in any stance, in or out of cover, if you fire and hold LMB for a few seconds some of your shots might not register sometimes. Maybe this bug is related to the hit detection issues some people (including me) are having.

Unrelated to that, I have a request for the customizability of servers: please, merge the ranked and unranked server tabs. Nobody bothers to visit the unranked tab, and customizing you server ATM is like commiting suicide as it will never attract new players. Just add the ranked/unranked option to the server filters :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Forssen
Upvote 0
Indeed, yes. Join a 64-player server reporting a ping of 40 or 80, and when it's fully staffed you're looking at 200ms, maybe 250. The game laughs at you when you join a 180ms 64-man server because you can expect to actually have 350-400ms in-game. It's part of the reason why so few servers in Oceania are running the full 64 players; the ping just spirals out of control, and the close-range hitreg closely follows.

It may affect some people more than others, but it does affect everyone. I've never seen someone with less than 120ms on a full server, for example, even on 30ms servers.

I live in the netherlands. This ping problem isn`t known to me. Which server i take it doesn`t rise during gaming. But with 64 players servers mostly is a little laggy.

Upvote 0

If I bounce around on random 64 player servers, I have seen this happen like you describe even here in the states. My guess is that some or all of them have too high a player count for their hardware.

BUT lately I have been sticking to a few servers that not only offer better gameplay, but don't have those ridiculous ping climbs. Most of the time 64 players runs pretty smooth and the pings are good even if they climb a bit. Its very rare I notice lag spikes or anyone complaining of it.

Upvote 0
Xienen, I might have been able to reproduce the possible cause to the hit detection bug (at least I think it's related).

A friend and I did some tests: pick the lvl 50 PPSh, put it on semi-auto and take cover behind something. Now blindfire, but instead of clicking once, hold the mouse button for a few seconds and it'll look like you are still firing as the weapon keeps shaking. Now exit the cover mode. The weapon sometimes will start to fire on auto without muzzle flash, sound and recoil, and sometimes it will act normal, but your hits won't register if you shoot at a wall.

I've also tested it with a bolt action rifle: in any stance, in or out of cover, if you fire and hold LMB for a few seconds some of your shots might not register sometimes. Maybe this bug is related to the hit detection issues some people (including me) are having.

Unrelated to that, I have a request for the customizability of servers: please, merge the ranked and unranked server tabs. Nobody bothers to visit the unranked tab, and customizing you server ATM is like commiting suicide as it will never attract new players. Just add the ranked/unranked option to the server filters :)

Yep i now believe it that the hitdetection fails. Since 2 days i am playing with a bolt rifle. This afternoon i shot an enemy 3x in his head. Nothing happened. And the enemy walked further without taking attention to me.
And in other rounds i kept seeing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My performance is still nowhere close to where it should be with an AMD Phenom 2 x4 920 and 6970 2GB and 4GB RAM. The performance isn't improving for a lot of people and still you guys are tweaking gameplay, adding ''nice'' unnecessary game-features, etc.

I seriously COULDN'T .. CARE.. LESS.

Please put all the workload on fixing the performance. I haven't played RO2 for more than over 1.5 month due to the fact that I can only get decent performance (around 60 FPS) on low. And low is damn ugly.

Upvote 0
Just to dig into this a bit, you are saying that you join a server with 200ms ping, then when it gets full pings go up to 400-600ms? 200ms is the upward limit of what I would consider playable for the game (and the upward limit of what we would even support). If the server's ping climbs that much the CPU is severely overloaded, or something else is wrong. On the servers we test with here in Atlanta (remote, not on our LAN) people in the office here will have pings around 65-70ms at medium load and then in the worst cases climb up to about 100ms when the server is under heavy load with 64 players. We're working to improve even this, but 400-600ms sounds like that server has a major problem.

It may very well be a server overload problem when playing online some servers will start at decent ping then slowly climb to 200-400 per player. Then speed hack detection starts firing, and many of these hit detection issues happen. The catch is that servers that used to be fine started lagging like this after some earlier patches like the 3 gig patch. So then I'm not sure if its a code issue, or other variables..

Upvote 0