• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

If you're right about nobody visiting unranked servers, then doesn't that actually support the notion that the majority of people playing are happy with the game as it is? The only thing, so far as I understand it, that you lose going from a ranked to an unranked server is stat progression (if I'm wrong here, then please correct me). If people aren't willing to give that up, can one not conclude that they want it?
It's not because they are unranked, it's because ranked and unranked servers are segregated and ranked is the default option, therefore most people don't even bother to check the other tab, so modded servers will never get new players because most people won't even know they exist.

Upvote 0
Now it's you that is calling RO1 a bad game just because you didn't like it. Now you new guys want to discredit all the RO veterans that complain about the game. You clearly haven't got enough experience in RO1 to say the core is the same, because it's not. Most of the people defending TWI blindly now are newcomers, while almost all the vets I know, including the entire Brazilian fanbase, are disappointed with the game in some way.

I never said RO1 was a bad game, simply that RO2 got rid of a lot of the unrealistic crap that plagued RO1. The soldiers no longer handle like overweight drunks, for example, and actually move fluidly through their environment.

The core -isn't- the same. It's the evolved version of the RO1 core taking full advantage of more powerful technology. For example, RO1 couldn't have things like fully modeled bullet penetration because hardware wasn't powerful enough to handle it back then. Think about how much of a game changer that is. In RO1, that flimsy wooden fence would protect you from anything. In RO2? It's rice paper. That's a big deal, gameplay wise. In RO1, you could only render out to 200m before everything disappeared in fog. Again, hardware limitations. This means that weapons had to be balanced to make up for this limitation. RO2 greatly increases the render distances, meaning they can make much more realistic weapon behavior without totally breaking the game.

I never said RO1 was a bad game. It wasn't my cup of tea, sure, but it was solid. However, I can see the natural progression of RO1s mechanics in RO2.

Upvote 0
I never said RO1 was a bad game, simply that RO2 got rid of a lot of the unrealistic crap that plagued RO1. The soldiers no longer handle like overweight drunks, for example, and actually move fluidly through their environment.

The core -isn't- the same. It's the evolved version of the RO1 core taking full advantage of more powerful technology. For example, RO1 couldn't have things like fully modeled bullet penetration because hardware wasn't powerful enough to handle it back then. Think about how much of a game changer that is. In RO1, that flimsy wooden fence would protect you from anything. In RO2? It's rice paper. That's a big deal, gameplay wise. In RO1, you could only render out to 200m before everything disappeared in fog. Again, hardware limitations. This means that weapons had to be balanced to make up for this limitation. RO2 greatly increases the render distances, meaning they can make much more realistic weapon behavior without totally breaking the game.
So the game needs to let players enter ADS instantly right after full sprint, reload a rifle in 3 seconds (pulling ammo out of his sleeve), aim with 100% precision while exhausted, be immune to pain, bandage in 2 seconds, suffer no effects from getting shot and give him a fantasy weapon just to balance the addition of bullet penetration?

Upvote 0
So the game needs to let players enter ADS instantly right after full sprint, reload a rifle in 3 seconds (pulling ammo out of his sleeve), aim with 100% precision while exhausted, be immune to pain, bandage in 2 seconds, suffer no effects from getting shot and give him a fantasy weapon just to balance the addition of bullet penetration?

No, it needs to let you see enemy locations as red exclamation marks. While they're at it, add distance too.

Upvote 0
2daeyrc.jpg

Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder what your intent is Nader.

BTW, if RO2 was their most successful game yet and sold more than RO1 in the first week compared to RO1 in its whole lifetime, why is it played by so few players? Where did they go? Don't blame BF3 btw, thats like blaming Lady Gaga for your indie band being unpopular

Upvote 0
A simple fix for 90% of peoples complaints would be just give alot more server side options. Allowing servers to control how many classes,weapon loadouts,Unlocks,lockout timer and pretty much all the conflicts people have about the game.That way the blame could be placed on the servers instead of the dev's lol.

They have a hard job(TWI) they will never please everyone and, while they may please one group of people the same action will displease another group.Allowing alot more server side options would solve many problems and, keep everyone happy for each group could have their own server and game type.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good idea ?

No, you're not the only one. Another way to end the back and forth between those who want the game changed and those who don't is for the SDK to get finished and people to put it to use.

I have absolutely no issue with people making the game the way they want it, I have an issue with people taking away a game that other people enjoy in order to get there. Just because the two "sides" don't agree on RO2 doesn't mean that either must give up what they like. Both can be made happy through server options and mods.

With those, we'd truly see which way is more popular, too.

Reactions: Dietl
Upvote 0
I have absolutely no issue with people making the game the way they want it, I have an issue with people taking away a game that other people enjoy in order to get there. Just because the two "sides" don't agree on RO2 doesn't mean that either must give up what they like. Both can be made happy through server options and mods.

With those, we'd truly see which way is more popular, too.

This! The sooner the better too :cool:

Upvote 0
The week before BF3 came out - Peak player counts about 3,000
The days after BF3 came out - Peak player counts about 1,500

Facts are facts...
This is wrong for many people.
I have stopped playing because of things in RO2 that I dislike or don't want.Nothing to do with BF3.
I don't care about BF3 or the latest COD game.I wanted RO2 to be the next best thing.
But from the start I had major issues even connecting in the beta.In fact it wasn't until the 2nd or 3rd patch in the full release that i managed to play a proper game.So that pissed me off before I even got into the game.But I stuck with it hoping to get the game I wanted.My mate ordered the beta when I did and he gave up in disgust when he couldn't get it to run after much f***ing about by both of us.he hasn't bothered trying since(and he loves his FPS's and online shooters).

But there are many design decisions that I hate.Unlocks, the sheer speed of the game,The almost total SMG fests,The fact that I tend to die with no clue as to who shot me,the broken tanks,The very poor tank map.The poor(in my eyes maps),the sheer stupid speed of the game,Lockdown,The stupid honour system,the ping and lag issues,the clunky menu and server system.In fact there is more i dislike than like.Which is why I have clocked about 12 hours in game time since it came out and haven't touched RO2 for about 2 weeks.In fact i have gone back to playing WOT(which has major issues for me but is at least fun to play).

So unless something drastic is done I can't see me returning to RO2 for a long while.
Sorry mate but you made a game I don't want or like.

Upvote 0
nice to hear, i realy hope that the content contains the coop mode

Co-op is mainly what I bought RO2 for.
There is just something satisfying about hooking up with my gaming group on TeamSpeak and working out strategies .. especially if the game adds extra Ai and/or difficulty for each player that joins.

Hopefully, this game will have co-op campaign and also special co-op modes and maps.

That is is Tripwire even adds co-op as advertised!

Is there even an approximate date!

That's also assuming that TWI will find a solution for the hang at splash screen so the game will load.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
" Many people is touting the drop in player counts as the death knell of the game. Certainly I think we'd all be happy if they were as high as they were a few weeks ago. But this is really to be expected."

I'm sorry, but if you expect you're player base to drop severly...well maybe you re-think your...err... You want to grow! WE want you to grow! I got more enjoyment out of waiting for the game to release than I did actually playing it. Researching, watching WWII movies, reading books, and imagining the awesome battles that would ensue in a few months. And for that I thank you! I learned a lot about the Battle of Stalingrad and if it wasn't for TWI, my understanding of what took place would be severly lacking. However, I think this "dead horse" that is bothering you so much should be a wake-up call. From what I've read, I interpreted this response as brushing off this monstrocity of a game. The dead horse isn't "RO2 is dead now OMG". No. That's a fact. The dead horse is "being a independent company that has a small budget" . Rubbish. RO1 had character, finesse, and replayability. RO2 in conjunction with Punkbuster is a ****ing nightmare. No native language option? Don't tell me to edit files in the .ini and removing the zoom option? This game started downgrading the moment it struck the market, hence the severe drop in players. Go ahead, add the free DLCs and mods. Woop-Dee-Doo, Basil. The only people that will download the game, countless patches (that either fix everything one day and then ruin everything the next), DLC, the patches that fix the DLC, mods, and more patches that fix the mods are a few thousand hardcore fans that are holding onto this small thread of a game and would probably hang from your testicles if the chance arose.

Too bad I didn't get this on GMG. I could get a few dollars back for SONIC and then maybe pick this up in the bargain bin in 2 years.

Upvote 0
Second post in this thread, I smugly declare "I told you so". You can see how well it went over.

You and I have been shouting this back in the faces of the howling, poo-slinging chimps that have been swinging all over this forum since the beta, but we were just overly optimistic TWI fanboys who couldn't see the bigger picture of TWI wanting to screw their playerbase out of their money and sell them another disposable, crappy modern shooter.

Indeed... and you even got two thumbs down from even posting the above.... nobody likes logic and reason anymore these days.... they just want to be right even when they're wrong and rep down anybody who doesn't unquestionably agree with their fear mongering, baseless crap. :rolleyes:

Especially the people who continually act as though RO1 is the only game Tripwire ever created, that RO1 is the original RO..... and that somehow RO1 was perfect and flawless at launch and must have had everything it currently has in it from day 1 launch..... which it wasn't, it's not and it didn't.

And what gets me laughing (or shaking my head) are the people who act as though they were completely shocked and taken by suprise on what RO2 would be like and how Tripwire pulled a fast one on them by not telling them or showing them what RO2 was going to be like..... when there's piles of images, video, interviews and commentary from the devs on what to expect in RO2, long before the Beta was released......

Oh, but Oh Noes!

Tripwire lied to them!!! :rolleyes:

So yeah.... sorry if I lost patience with these people and trying to talk maturely towards their crap, but I've been doing it for the last few months now and they start every new day as if they wiped their memories from all of this.... and then recycle the exact same unfounded tripe as the day before..... possibly thinking if they keep repeating the same crap, suddenly it'll become true.

So yeah, I'll suffer a few extra down reps from these people.... I personally don't care.

All that matters is:

kanye-west-i-told-you-so.jpg

Hey, I've been wrong in the past before and I admit when I am wrong or take things the wrong way..... it's just too bad some others can't man up and accept that they were wrong and continue to try to keep the argument going by trying to drag out every trivial stat or graph from Steam to try and use as some sort of justification for them remaining butthurt.... while ignoring everything else that trumps their position.

Oh well..... I'm not in here to make friends.... I'm here to size up the people I'll end up shooting in the game & squatting on their corpse's face to fart.

Upvote 0
I know it's an elusive issue. I don't experience it that often so it's not a game breaker for me (I tend to think of it as dud rounds), but it seems almost everyone has similar stories. I fail to see how they can claim it never happens to them, unless they are just not playing very much.

Well see for me, I never experienced this problem before, and I've been playing a lot since Beta.... so it's difficult for me to try and reproduce what you guys are experiencing.

I do have the odd AT Rifle shoot what seems to be nothing (no impacts, no hits) but I think that's a different issue and it doesn't happen all the time.

I did have a couple of games where it seems as though I couldn't hit crap at close range, but I chalked that up to the resolution and video settings I had that lagged my display and killed my FPS more than normal.... when I switched to something better, hitting people at close range wasn't an issue again.

I believe you and many others are having this problem.... I truly believe it does exist, but there is simply no useful information for tripwire, myself or anybody else to even attempt to reproduce your problem..... that's why I was suggesting to get some friends together to test these problems on a map and record it on video so we can see what's going on..... and if you post your video settings/effects, I'm guessing that would help a lot as well.

If it doesn't happen to me, if it doesn't happen to the people at Tripwire and it doesn't happen to many other players, whether they play often or play very little..... it's not going to suddenly start happening to us out of nowhere.

I've been following many of the complaints about this issue since the beta release and while many players, such as myself, never report having this problem, I know many others do have this problem...... but none of us who aren't experiencing this problem can reproduce it, because nobody knows what's causing it and there simply isn't enough information to know when and how it occurs.

That's not to say the problem doesn't exist or that nobody is interested in trying to fix it.

It's just nobody knows where to start to reproduce this problem.... that's all I was saying, and I have never once saw any post or comment from Tripwire stating that they don't give a damn about this problem or have no interest in fixing it....... they simply don't have enough information to figure out what's causing it.

I was providing a possible solution by creating a few random gameplay videos with your friends at different distances and with different weapons.... upload the clips that show this problem occuring and tell everybody what your resolution is, what effects your have on/off, etc.....

I say that, because I'm thinking it's more of an issue with your display not quite showing you what the gameplay physics is doing and could be slightly off centre of the screen, kind of like how the iron sights don't always align on the screen sometimes..... again, this is just a guess on my part, because I don't experience this issue.... but it is a start towards providing some decent information on the issue.

Difference is:

Bohemia didn't sellout their old audience for the mainstream like Tripwire have done.........

fightthepower04.jpg

Fight the Power, meh Brotha..... Stick it to da Man! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know it's a weekday night, but I'm really disappointed after looking at the server browser. All of the servers I use now seem exist in name only.

Are listen servers still on the table? When there isn't anyone playing this game I hope we will eventually be able to kill some bots with our friends.

Upvote 0