• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where the players gone ?

It probably also broke their record of, Game with the fastest declining population.

Wonder why they didnt mention that...

Where are you getting this data? I certainly haven't seen it...

Besides, RTFT. They chose to release during the big holiday release rush. A lot of fans that have the breadth to enjoy more than one game series have moved to the other big releases, like Gears and Battlefield. As I said, Batman, Skyrim, and Saints Row 3 are going to be my big holiday games, and I plan on shelving RO2 for a few months. However, Gears, Batman, and Saints don't have the longevity of RO2, and once the newness wears off of BF3 a lot of people will come back to RO2.

Upvote 0
Where are you getting this data? I certainly haven't seen it....

you havent seen it?

9,500 - 2,750 players in about 3 weeks. Thats about a 70% decline in population, in less than a month.

Personally i've never seen this happen...

Also i wouldnt be so quick to blame other games for the loss of players. i bought Ost Front when it first came out, and i player that for about a year straight.

Upvote 0
it would be nice if all the devs efforts werent going towards fixing maps and fixing stats which unlock overpowered weapons,

and instead they were working on releasing new maps, addings in more vehicles, and making the game actually fun

They have to fix the stats though, they have no choice, all because they tried to milk people of 10 dollars with DDE.

Upvote 0
you havent seen it?

9,500 - 2,750 players in about 3 weeks. Thats about a 70% decline in population, in less than a month.

Personally i've never seen this happen...

Also i wouldnt be so quick to blame other games for the loss of players. i bought Ost Front when it first came out, and i player that for about a year straight.

As a comparable example, Deus Ex sold two million copies a week or two before RO2 came out, and there are currently only 5,000 players on Steam.

That's a 400% decline in just over a month.

Admittedly, it's not an online game, but I'm not seeing any other shooters that have come out recently that I can make a comparison to.

And Deus Ex is a huge franchise, almost legendary. This was supposed to be the next big thing.

And it's not the same. Ostfront came out in March, right before the big summer games drought. Of course you'd stick to it for months. There was nothing else coming out, especially not major updates to massively popular franchises like The Elder Scrolls or Battlefield.

Upvote 0
Loads of high profile/decent games came out in 2006.

I find it sad that we have to excuse the number of people playing RO2 because of other games, especially stuff from EA. The fact people are comparing RO2 to BF3 is just sad considering the way EA/Dice games have gone. I like various games, but I don't get my FPS fix from EA and I'm sure plenty others don't either

Deus Ex is single player as was mentioned..they have a finite amount of hours played per person who buys it.

I had a quick look and in 2006 there were lots of decent game releases but Ostfront had its own playerbase that stayed strong, and it came from nowhere. COD2 was still kinda new too. BTW Oblivion was released in March 2006

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Loads of high profile/decent games came out in 2006.

I find it sad that we have to excuse the number of people playing RO2 because of other games, especially stuff from EA. The fact people are comparing RO2 to BF3 is just sad considering the way EA/Dice games have gone. I like various games, but I don't get my FPS fix from EA and I'm sure plenty others don't either

Deus Ex is single player as was mentioned..they have a finite amount of hours played per person who buys it.

I had a quick look and in 2006 there were lots of decent game releases but Ostfront had its own playerbase that stayed strong, and it came from nowhere. COD2 was still kinda new too

CoD2 came out 7 months after Ostfront did. I'm not saying that 2006 didn't have some big releases, I'm saying that Ostfront was released during the Late-Spring/Summer dead zone. Big name titles are usually released near the holidays for maximum sales, and things tend to dry up in the off season. Hence, ROOST wasn't competing against any major competitors when it rolled out, and people had several months to make nice with it before the release schedule cluttered up again.

All I'm saying is that we should wait to pass judgement on the player base until after the winter rush is over. Then we'll see what we're left with.

Upvote 0
If a game doesn't hook you right from the start, it can easily be forgotten about. Holiday rush or not, first impressions account for everything in life.

Hefty patching and some nice free DLC might fix Tripwire's screw up, hopefully. I liked this game, but finding a good server is a hassle that I no longer feel the desire to log in. Bleh.

Upvote 0
Saying RO2 broke records of pre-sales is like saying Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves had a great opening weekend - when it was one of the worst movies made in the past 50 years.

Pre-release sales means the marketing was good. It has nothing do do with how good the game actually is.

But in this case it is different. It was not just a matter of good marketing with trade show videos that showed off the handful of cool things like hugging cover, shooting through walls and realistic sniper sights. In this case, RO2 sold so well before release because RO1 was so highly regarded for its gritty realism - something that was greatly compromised in RO2 when they decided to arcade the aiming and how weapons react when fired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i am realy sorry to say it, but the game is doomed.
It was the greedy disign decisions fault, and now, there is no turning back.
Im sad to say so, because i am a ww2 fps lover, and im not seeing anything coming in thise context.
Ill have to jump to arma or something, im sick of this codish fest

Well, the game can't please everybody.

The servers seem to be pretty full to me. Once the bugs get worked out and the first wave of Steam Sales roll through, this game will really mature into it's own. It's just a shame that some people are so set in their old ways that they refuse to give credibility to any sort of change to those ways.

Adios, mate. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
Thank goodness there are plenty of people in Europe and especially the UK who like games like this.

Much easier now than even two weeks ago to find a sub-60 ping well-adminned server for me. Been rocking the Paras server and Partisans a lot recently.

I may not want to join a clan, but thank you to those clans who are essential for keeping slightly more complex games like this alive. Thanks too to the casuals who jump game every two weeks: TWI will be able to use your cash to support the games they make for a long time.

Upvote 0
Well, the game can't please everybody.

The servers seem to be pretty full to me. Once the bugs get worked out and the first wave of Steam Sales roll through, this game will really mature into it's own. It's just a shame that some people are so set in their old ways that they refuse to give credibility to any sort of change to those ways.

Adios, mate. I hope you find what you're looking for.

No one is arguing that change is wrong, so long as the change is for the good.

I *personally* feel the changes did more degrade this series than anything else. I think the emphasis on teamwork has been removed for a more lone wolf sort of feel.

and while there is nothing wrong with that type of gameplay it's just not what i was expecting. To me it feels like most if not all of the uniqueness from RO was discarded instead for a mainstream approach; to be honesti find RO2 somewhat bland and generic.

Also, no i'm not talking about the number of sales.

Reactions: melipone
Upvote 0
...I *personally* feel...

And there is the rub. I think the point Josef Nader was making is that not everyone is going to be pleased. And he's right.

The other thing is that there are quite a few folks posting around these forums about how bad the game is or how they don't like it and that it is doomed. And yet, day after day they are still here posting that. It's perfectly fine to share one's thoughts on the game here, but to do so day after day seems a bit old after a week or more of it. If these folks that do this every day feel so strongly, maybe they ought to take a break from all things RO2 for a while. Come back in a week or two weeks and see if some of these issues have been patched or modded in.

I am pretty sure at this point that TWI is clearly informed about the shortcomings of this game from some of the more hard-core realism players. Continuing to post the same day after day and to continually predict the game's doom and destruction and finish is a tad much to be honest. We get it.

And I'm not pointing my comments at you. It's just an observation from this daily forum "browser".

Upvote 0
as they say i had a feeling the game was gonna be very similar to how ti released idk what others thought that it would somehow be a hardcore simulator it never looked like one in the first place. :rolleyes:

as they say out with the old in with the new.many games ahve done this.

tf2 is a prime example they dumbed down tf2 so much in so many ways compared to tfc and there previous team fortress games. which turned many poeple off it sparked off mods to keep that old tradition of what they thought was a better more indepth game. fortress forever (almost gone.), and a few others which are now gone. you don't need me to tell you how well tf2 did. :)

call of duty did it when they went for less realism and more arcade essentially setting the standard of arcade shooters for years to come. they are now one of the most popular games out there because of it. ;)

were these changes bad no, did they upset many people yes. the player-base of both of these games is now 5x dare i say 10x the size of there original game. as for ro2 the preorders showed promise 8,000 players is a lot that's more than there old game got in 5 years. the question is, will this just become ro1 in a slightly different nitch or will the game take off after a rough start? that is what we will have to wait to find out. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People vote with their feet.

Something went wrong with RO2 and TWI should go back to the drawing board and brainstorm about what is putting ppl off and how to rectify this, if it still can be rectified.

But once again I have to say that I don't expect TWI to do a jack-squat about this. They will rls some fixes and flush out bugs and bring more content in the future but the gameplay is already set to stone and i doubt they will change it. I put my money on the mod teams out there to bring out the full potential of this game.

Reactions: Divinity and Oldih
Upvote 0
Somehow I think a lot of the gripes I hear from the different RO tribes are things that can be easily modded into the game on the server side.

Pretty soon we will have RO Classic, featuring weapon sway, fatigue and inaccurate weapons. I can go back to trading rifle shots across the map between sips of beer without fear of being shot. Good times.

Upvote 0