• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddog

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005
Australia
Just wondering what happened to hero status and the limited special class for the rare weapons (eg. MkB42H/AVT40). You know the line we were fed over and over when we raised concerns about their inclusion before the game was released?

Because from what we were told back then many of us were led to believe that;

- The MKB42H and AVT40 will be contained in an elite class, only 1-2 per side per map.
- Only people with hero status can access this class and use these weapons.
- Hero status was randomly bestowed upon people who had reached veteran level at the start of a match.

Hey it actually did sound like a really awesome way to represent these rare weapons without having them everywhere and make them feel special.

Instead now we have the MkB42 and AVT40 everywhere and only being limited to a simple unlock for the assault class, meaning there will be at least 6 per side. So what happened to hero status and all these other promises you threw around to pacify the unrest around the announcement these guns are in?

Here's some tasty morsels on the subject posted by you yourself, discuss;

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=477421&postcount=23
What I think is really funny is that everyone hears Hero system and player progression and all of the sudden every thinks "OMG COD". When in reality, COD has nothing remotely resembling the Hero system that will be in ROHOS, and even the player progression isn't even close. As WilsonAM said in another thread, have some faith people. TWI didn't get bought out by some big publisher for petes sake.

Picture it like this, lets say there was some weapon that was really rare in a battle, but you didn't want to hand that weapon out to every soldier on the battlefield. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a system where just a few (but not all) soldiers could use those really cool rare weapons from time to time? That is sure as heck more realistic than just having a whole bunch of them in the game.

I'm not going to go into detailing what exactly the Hero system is or how the player progression works. We've got to save some things for later, otherwise we've got no info to pass out as we go along in development (its called PR and working the press). Lets just say ROHOS is still a tactical shooter.

With that said I have no doubt that some of the features of ROHOS will have some of the "purest" whining that we've sold out. But frankly those are the same type of people that said we sold out when we added an overhead map back in the mod days ("Oh no they added an overhead map to RO, the game is ruined").

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=773223&postcount=15
You don't level up to hero, and are always a hero. You level up to the point of being a hero "candidate". The game also limits the number of heros allowable on a server. So through some jedi voodoo in the background the server picks the heros from the possible hero candidates, up to the limit set by the server. So unless a server admin goes nuts with their settings (and they can't get too crazy unless they are running custom mode), you'll never have a bunch of heroes in one server.

EDIT: Here is post from Sasquatch basically admitting that a decision was taken to change all this. Strangely it wasn't announced publicly.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=884091&postcount=22

Last edited:
I guess you missed his post today?

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=64600

Or perhaps I missed where it was specifically mentioned the Mkb and AVT would be limited only to Hero units?

At the very least, hold off judgment until the limits are set properly to the developer's intention. If this still isn't good enough,

3) Weapon/role limiting is something we've got in the works and will be coming out as part of our clan support update in the coming weeks. The plan was to make weapon limiting only for unranked servers, but if there are certain configurations that a lot of players want we can look at whitelisting those.

That's from the server admin mailinglist. Not sure if that got posted on the forums, but there ya go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why not make every DDE owner an automatic hero candidate in a week or something and let them play around with the weapons as assault class in the mean time. That would mean they technically still have access to it as they have a good chance of being appointed a hero from time to time.

Upvote 0
I don't know what made them take this decision when they probably knew their entire fanbase would hate it, unless they are trying to replace their old fanbase for a new one. I don't mean to insult, but we've been lied to.
Well, I don't understand why you'd make a decision that you KNOW is going to piss off a huge amount of your most loyal fans. I mean when you have a ****storm on a forum regarding game features, its a clear sign to learn from that incident and take note of it for future decisions.

Upvote 0
Isn't it ironic how it was the most dedicated fans who put up the money.

Kinda odd isn't it? Arcade-shooter players never have and never will play Red Orchestra. Why Tripwire is catering to them is beyond me.

I bought a sequel to the WW2 realism shooter called Red Orchestra: Ost Front and the sequel promised even more realism. What I get instead is a game that doesn't know if it wants to rip off CoD or be hardcore realistic.

Upvote 0
There should be another Realism/Authentic mode which caters for the hardcore enthusiast which takes into account authentic loadouts,no bandaging,no kill-cam etc.Everyone is welcome to add to this if they want:)

+1000

This would be the RO2 I wanted!

Plus a few changes to LMG class:
Increase bullet pen - fences on Spartanovka should be shredded by LMG fire but currently provide pretty good protection
Make all LMG easier to deploy and open up more surfaces for deployment
Increase rate of fire for DP-28 to correct 500-600rpm cyclic

Plus some changes to SMG and assault rifles:
Reduce bullet pen for both, especially SMG - 9mm isn't that powerful a bullet, especially compared to rifle-caliber round out of a long LMG barrel
Reduce suppression from assault rifle - currently seems to be higher than from LMG which isn't right
Possibly make the assault rifle more awkward from the prone position, reflecting that great big long mag hitting the ground

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.