• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know why people are so upset with RO2? Why people are so angry with the lack of authenticity? We, the historical authenticity community, get very few games made for us--and even less AAA titles. With RO, something unique came along. No one is going to let that go easily and there's going to be a lot of push against any changes for a perceived more mainstream audience. It's not hard to imagine.

Damn kipper, Im sorry I couldent upvote that twice.

edit: @ venkman, i did not say across the bridge but from one end of the street to the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its a lot harder to do in ost, in ro2 a newcomer can do that. Atleast with RO1 the rambos/hipfire people had some skill.
Go back to playing RO1 for a little bit and you'll realize it's pretty much impossible to pull those kinds of moves. The biggest reason is the player momentum in RO1 doesnt' allow for such sudden and instant changes in movement direction without losing speed, and the general run speed is significantly slower. It also takes more time to ironsight your weapon in RO1, and the recoil feels different.

All in all, it's pretty much impossible to pull off super fast paced ramboing in RO1 -- especially as portrayed in that video.

Reactions: Apos and Forssen
Upvote 0
Go back to playing RO1 for a little bit and you'll realize it's pretty much impossible to pull those kinds of moves. The biggest reason is the player momentum in RO1 doesnt' allow for such sudden and instant changes in movement direction without losing speed, and the general run speed is significantly slower. It also takes more time to ironsight your weapon in RO1, and the recoil feels different.

All in all, it's pretty much impossible to pull off super fast paced ramboing in RO1 -- especially as portrayed in that video.

No, it's not impossible. Everything that happened in the sniper video can be easily replicated in Ost via pop-shooting, not to mention shooting from the tips of helmets. The running speed in Ost is unrealistic, as is the recoil. RO2 is faster and easier to handle. This doesn't mean that running and gunning to the extent shown in the videos doesn't happen in Ost. It can easily be done:

[HD] RO:O PPSh-41 Submachine gun - YouTube

The memory you have of Ost doesn't fit reality.
Its a lot harder to do in ost, in ro2 a newcomer can do that. Atleast with RO1 the rambos/hipfire people had some skill.

What shown in the videos doesn't require skill?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It can easily be done:

It's not about "it can't be done" or "lol it's superhard", it's simply that in order to pull it off succesfully without dying all the time requires more experience and possibly skill how certain things work instead of going ramming speed chaerg-crazy like you would go in UT2k4 or [insert virtually any other game here] and realise the universal ramming speed chaerg- gameplay works in almost any game.

It was not never missing from RO1 but the people doing it usually knows their hipshooting skills. You don't need those in RO2 for fairly obvious reasons, thus it's far more accessible regardless of your in-game experience with the game.

Upvote 0
I agree with venkman all of that was possible in OST. There was a bit more skill since ADS was slower you needed to be proficient at hip firing and controlling recoil. In RO2 it's point and click but at close range fights there is nothing unrealistic about it.

The differences between RO1 and RO2 become more apparent at longer ranges. Where in RO1 it was required to weapon rest SMGs to hit targets at 40+ meters. In RO2 it's easy to hit 100+ meter shots while standing with an MP40 which makes me wonder why they bothered with weapon resting, weapon collision and the cover system.

Another thing about RO1 was diving, leaning and changing stances was much faster which made infantry combat have a lot more potential. Popup riflemen were a problem but I would still prefer that kind of freedom of movement to RO2s gameplay.

Upvote 0
No, it's not impossible. Everything that happened in the sniper video can be easily replicated in Ost via pop-shooting, not to mention shooting from the tips of helmets. The running speed in Ost is unrealistic, as is the recoil. RO2 is faster and easier to handle. This doesn't mean that running and gunning to the extent shown in the videos doesn't happen in Ost. It can easily be done:

[HD] RO:O PPSh-41 Submachine gun - YouTube

What shown in the videos doesn't require skill?

Wow really are we watching the same video, it sounds like your reality is different than what your watching? In the ost video he went behind cover then shot, he used grenades, he was attacking a objective with his whole team, he didnt bandage himself in battle and many were armed with rifles. Also I bet the guy in the Ost video played the game a lot because the ppsh is not the easiest gun to shoot in Ost with its crazy recoil it took a while to get good with it and no in RO2 it doesnt require skill any cod player can do that, its just point and shoot. Which is realistic but not at the speed its done in RO2 and dont get me started on the crappy bandaging system. Also RO video had realistic loadouts, just wanted to add that in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dogbadger said:
they definitely don't want ppl exiting tanks
Why? What is the official reason behind this?

Hardly. Everything in those videos can be done in Ost.
At a noticably slower pace.

Dr. Peter Venkman said:
This doesn't mean that running and gunning to the extent shown in the videos doesn't happen in Ost. It can easily be done.
Look at the videos again. In the RO I video the PPSH player is moving at the speed of a geriatric man (slight exaggeration) whereas in the RO II video the MKB player is rocketing around at DOD:s speeds. Good idea. Why don't you put up an RO I sniper video vs the one from RO II?

Dr. Peter Venkman said:
shooting from the tips of helmets
An RO II problem. It was in bug reports.

Dr. Peter Venkman said:
The running speed in Ost is unrealistic
And the running speed in ROII is super fantastically unrealistic.

Dr. Peter Venkman said:
Deniers will deny. You know what? Who else thinks that there are multiple dev pseudo accounts on these forums for the sole purpose of praising/worshipping mediocre RO II at all costs and trolling/insulting/flaming/attempting to discredit anyone who even thinks of disagreeing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why? What is the official reason behind this?

i'm not speaking for tripwire but i think the official reasons may have been given a long time ago, and have been referenced since because this issue has been raised countless times on the forums ofc.

Again, there are other threads about it and it's not relevant to this one - particularly as in this case TWi have done exactly what they said they would do.

no, unless they have changed their minds they definitely don't want ppl exiting tanks.

to avoid any possibility of misrepresentation, or false advertising as you put it, here is my quote without your edit.

Upvote 0
I don't see why disagreeing with you means he is a schill for the devs. I happen to like RO2 as well for the most part, and think that people are romanticizing some parts of the first game. The same thing happened when the RO1 came out. People threw **** fits over features that were different than the mod, and some refused to move over to the retail game. So be it.

I do agree with one thing... the bandaging and injury system needs an overhaul. I don't think it works as intended... at least I hope not.

Reactions: WingmanSR
Upvote 0
I don't think that the running speed in RO2 is "super fantastically unrealistic".

I just made a test:
I went into our server and spawned as commander. I used tactical display to locate a radio. I moved towards it until the distance was 50m. I sprinted towards the radio measuring the time with a stopwatch. Result ~ 10 seconds

Doesn't seem to be way off for me. I was also thinking about a real life test on the sports ground. With a 15kg-backpack and one of my e-guitars to simulate a rifle. But right now I got a terrible hangover. :D

Upvote 0
And the running speed in ROII is super fantastically unrealistic.

It's a damn sight better than it was in RO I. In RO 2 I feel like my soldier can actually move and respond to threats without suffering a heart-attack. I know from direct experiencethat after days of little sleep and hard work a soldier carrying a combat load of ammunition, water, body armour, and a light machinegun can really get going in a hurry when they need to. And most soldiers can sustain a decent high rate of movement over at least 3 kilometres if their lives depend on it.

You're getting caught up on the false realism that was implemented in RO I. The lack of zoom, overt weapon sway, geriatric running pace, and ridiculous recoil to name a few such features. I see this is a prevalent theme in all those who write (and as someone earlier put it rather eloquently "romanticise") about the older game. There was a lot that was terribly unrealistic about Red Orchestra 1 that had a significant bearing on game play. These features didn't promote realism, they shoe-horned the player into an often awkward state of affairs by horribly restricting what they could do. RO2 removed these inhibitions and as a result you see generally more unforgiving gameplay. Why? The players didn't get any better, they just got the freedom they deserved.

Deniers will deny.

And haters will hate? What's your point, chief? Ad hominem is a sad form of argument. I think you'll find that these people you're so quick to condemn as "deniers" are actually the people enjoying the game and building a positive community around it. You shouldn't be blaming them for your lack of enjoyment. Anyway, it seems like you're denying some relatively well improved aspects of the newer game -- for whatever reason you have to do so in the face of some very logical arugments in favour of their changing. Opinion is all subjective, sure. But God knows there are people around here who seem hell bent on rubbishing a title that has perfectly good potential (once the bugs are ironed out).

Who else thinks that there are multiple dev pseudo accounts on these forums for the sole purpose of praising/worshipping mediocre RO II

You're probably alone there. PM me your postal address and I'll send you a tin-foil hat.

Wally

Upvote 0
It's a damn sight better than it was in RO I. In RO 2 I feel like my soldier can actually move and respond to threats without suffering a heart-attack. I know from direct experiencethat after days of little sleep and hard work a soldier carrying a combat load of ammunition, water, body armour, and a light machinegun can really get going in a hurry when they need to. And most soldiers can sustain a decent high rate of movement over at least 3 kilometres if their lives depend on it.

You're getting caught up on the false realism that was implemented in RO I. The lack of zoom, overt weapon sway, geriatric running pace, and ridiculous recoil to name a few such features. I see this is a prevalent theme in all those who write (and as someone earlier put it rather eloquently "romanticise") about the older game. There was a lot that was terribly unrealistic about Red Orchestra 1 that had a significant bearing on game play. These features didn't promote realism, they shoe-horned the player into an often awkward state of affairs by horribly restricting what they could do. RO2 removed these inhibitions and as a result you see generally more unforgiving gameplay. Why? The players didn't get any better, they just got the freedom they deserved.

And haters will hate? What's your point, chief? Ad hominem is a sad form of argument. I think you'll find that these people you're so quick to condemn as "deniers" are actually the people enjoying the game and building a positive community around it. You shouldn't be blaming them for your lack of enjoyment. Anyway, it seems like you're denying some relatively well improved aspects of the newer game -- for whatever reason you have to do so in the face of some very logical arugments in favour of their changing. Opinion is all subjective, sure. But God knows there are people around here who seem hell bent on rubbishing a title that has perfectly good potential (once the bugs are ironed out).

You're probably alone there. PM me your postal address and I'll send you a tin-foil hat.

Wally
Field Marshall Rommel has more credibility than any of the fanboys here.
And companies DO hire and practice PR on forums. You would be blind to not see that.

Upvote 0
There was a lot that was terribly unrealistic about Red Orchestra 1 that had a significant bearing on game play. These features didn't promote realism, they shoe-horned the player into an often awkward state of affairs by horribly restricting what they could do. RO2 removed these inhibitions and as a result you see generally more unforgiving gameplay. Why? The players didn't get any better, they just got the freedom they deserved.

It's important to remember that many here are of the opinion that the unrealistic limitations in RO1 often artificially changed the gameplay for the better. Maybe we're all wrong - and I'm certainly not saying it was all good, being able to move faster than my Gran and engage at realistic distances in RO2 is a vast improvement over the predecessor. I played DH again the other day and I was surprised at just how clunky the movement seemed coming from RO2. But things like more pronounced sway and slower sight entry will naturally force players to stop going quite so Rambo and make better use of cover, as they did in RO:OST and DH, and as you would if your life was on the line.

Upvote 0
its_a_conspiracy1.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.