• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I added controller support to RO2 (WIP)

life saver nothing like chillin while sitting next to a roaring fire with my 360 controller as for those who say why do this all i can say is why do u care while people have been lookin the internet for ages for this little gem ye ball bags have been bashing this brilliant mans work in case ye havent noticed this is 2011 i mean come on if a black man can be president surely us 360crontroller lovers can use them with out racism controller racism that is move on get over it the new age is here a time when we can play the games we want the way we want to u loose make room for the winners Cobra_H1 u are
Legendary:)

Upvote 0
I have been using a combination of joystick / keys and mouse for years with RO, MN, CC, DH and now RO2.

The mouse does the normal functions and the joystick most of the keyboard actions.

If you need to do some very very fine movements, you drop the joystick and use the keys.

No rsi or hand cramping.

I also use a flight stick so it has lots of different buttons at my fingertips for map, voice, reload, run, crouch, prone etc.

Upvote 0
Added an experimental build with leaning (using the bumpers). I'm hoping someone other than myself can test it and tell me what they think of it.

The original build was most useful as an assault or elite rifle man class, this should give more maneuverability needed for rifle men who need to peek around corners in realism/classic modes.

Upvote 0
I would say switch melee with crouch so that melee is left bumper and crouch is right stick...I think it will make life a lot easier.

Its a shame, because I've always loved the concept of controllers, purely because of being able to fine tune my walking/running speed, but in practice against mouse users, it simply isn't practical, especially without aim assist. Could be very useful for making movies/machinimas though.

Upvote 0
Have you considered adding your controller support to Steam Workshop? I haven't tried it out yet (just got a controller today), but will soon.

nope, haven't even dabbled with downloading anything off of the workshop yet.

Fisher said:
would say switch melee with crouch so that melee is left bumper and crouch is right stick...I think it will make life a lot easier.
pretty sure you can rebind those buttons via the games menu, otherwise just navigate to documents/mygames/redorchestra2/ROgame/config/ROinput and just scroll all the way to the bottom and switch those around yourself.

Gotta warn you though, it's not organized.... at all.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I know this thread is kinda old already, but it's the reason I registered myself here. I purchased RO2 the last time it was in a sale but only recently got a PC to play it (I bought it because I knew I'll get a new rig and to support Tripwire a bit). With no hope of being able to play it properly, I searched on Google if it's playable with a pad and found this very thread, what a relief!

The reason why I thought I won't be able to play it is, that I suffer from a disability, which makes K/M gaming for me very exhausting and even painful after a while.

With other words: Cobra_H1 is my personal hero of today! :D

No idea how competitive I'll be, since I only played the singleplayer tutorial so far, but that worked well and the aiming is better than in some console shooters already.

Thanks Cobra!

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I know this thread is kinda old already, but it's the reason I registered myself here. I purchased RO2 the last time it was in a sale but only recently got a PC to play it (I bought it because I knew I'll get a new rig and to support Tripwire a bit). With no hope of being able to play it properly, I searched on Google if it's playable with a pad and found this very thread, what a relief!

The reason why I thought I won't be able to play it is, that I suffer from a disability, which makes K/M gaming for me very exhausting and even painful after a while.

With other words: Cobra_H1 is my personal hero of today! :D

No idea how competitive I'll be, since I only played the singleplayer tutorial so far, but that worked well and the aiming is better than in some console shooters already.

Thanks Cobra!

This is what i like to see in a community, people helping one another out. I never tried this tool, but some day when i buy a pc controller i will for sure try it, for tanking specifically.

Upvote 0
You know, a thought occurred to me a while back and I thought I'd post it here. A lot of people say it would be idiotic to try to play this game with a gamepad because you could never take snap shots faster than keyboard and mouse people. A lot of people also think firefights tend to be too short and the game doesn't favor long-range exchanges.

You've probably guessed where this is going: The solution has been sitting on our desks this entire time (unless you don't own a controller for your PC). This game would be better if we were all using gamepads.

Upvote 0
I absolutely hate playing FPSs with a gamepad, but I did make an Xpadder profile for this game. It's very similar to most modern FPS gamepad layouts.

I had made a thread about it on the Steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/discussions/0/810921273991432372/

This is my post copied and pasted:

I made a mostly functioning xpadder profile. I set it up to work assuming your key binds are at the defaults. You will need an Xbox 360 controller and Xpadder, of course.

Here's an image of the button layout:
http://i.imgur.com/kljFbLh.png

You can download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7o0eu98cwwfj86a/RO2-RS.xpadderprofile

I tried it out myself, and it seems to work just fine. I didn't get a single kill and I wouldn't recommend playing with a gamepad, but I know some of you greatly prefer to play with a gamepad. You might also want to adjust the camera speed to your liking.

Upvote 0
Thank you OP this is a working solution proving RO2 has broken partial native controller support and the .ini you share works for me and have been comparing original/default .ini with the one giving working controller in game to try and understand how to configure controller to my liking.

This thread proves RO2 has poorly implemented partial controller support due to UE3 engine by default.

I have had some success using third party k+m emulator with RO2 and the xpadder config i use looks like http://pastebin.com/WaaTMGea and am unsure if it is possible to set multiple keys to one controller button like what is easily achieved by using xpadder as well as multiple sets of configs to be easily configured and switched on one one profile.

To use third party k+m emulation controller input performance would be greatly improved if NO controller input was being registered to UE3/game.
How would i go about doing this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0