• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I added controller support to RO2 (WIP)

Whats with all the bashing? He made it so you have the "OPTION" to play RO2 with a controller. You guys are spitting at him like hes a COD fan boi or something.

Honestly tone it down, it is making our community look very immature. I know we all don't like the COD kiddies and what not but all this bashing is lowering our image down to their standards.

On topic: Might not be the best for RO infantry fights but tanking might be good with controllers.

It's making this community look like extremists. Spitting at anything resembling change or try new things. And honestly, I thought the community for Tripwire would be a bit more mature then this considering how highly I hold Tripwire as developers.

Tank battles do sound fun when playing with a controller :IS2:

Reactions: slavek
Upvote 0
I'm not really sure why people who play games on consoles are "kiddies." I think you'd be surprised by the demographic information.

When I was new to RO, I considered trying to use a controller. But once I spent hours on it, I found it to be fruitless and frustrating. It takes awhile to learn PC controls, but in the long run it becomes pretty natural. But if someone wants to play a PC game with a controller, more power to them. It doesn't affect me any. :)

Upvote 0
updated the first post instructions, added a controller layout picture, also wanted to share this:
Spoiler!

Reactions: badastle
Upvote 0
updated the RoInput.ini already, the one I posted did not have the melee/altfire command mapped and the deadzones for both sticks have been slightly increased.

I'll work on a tank version tomorrow or friday.

I actually read that article, turns out it was an editorial, aka an opinion article.

While I have been (as they say these days) getting owned I do not blame my aim, this is unlike any fps I've tried before and simply spotting enemies is rather tough for me (14 inch screen...)

Yeah I used to work at a LAN center, and we had several COD/Halo/Gears tournaments on our slew of 360's, and had several top MLG players come out for our bigger tournies. I can tell you from personal experience, watching the pc kids heckle them, most of the pc elitists who talk crap to console gamers, get absolutely wrecked by console gamers using a controller on PC.

Granted generally speaking, console gamers arent as accurate at FPS games, but keep in mind there are hundreds of them that will nail you to the wall every time. Even moreso, I was a competitive gamer for years on CS, CSS, CoD2 and CoD4, played CAL, Eco, TWL, CEVO, and I've been on several CAL-M and CEVO-M teams over the span of the games. In lamens terms I'm saying ill rape the pants off of the ****talkers all day, until you ban me for "hacking" because I'm an FPS supernerd. All you do is make yourself look bad, and make us PC gamers look bad as a whole when you talk so much crap needlessly.

I happen to own a 2500$ m17x.r3 that I enjoy to sit on my couch and play sometimes, so an xbox controller at least makes it possible to play RO and the likes from the comfort of my living room.

tl;dr Stop hating

Upvote 0
Can they make a keyboard work on a Xbox.. lol I would love to own the console kiddies with l33t keyboard warriordom.

There are actually little boxes you can purchase for around 70$ that have analog inputs (PS2) for mouse and kb, and then hook into your 360 via USB. Aside from some random control oddities, and cheap construction of the unit itself, they are fairly useful. I do believe it is bannable if you are caught using it (like modded controllers)

Upvote 0
Great work, Cobra! I bought a computer to play RO2 as it is the game I've been waiting for while playing PS3. Was disappointed to find no controller support for the game, as I love the 360 triggers, they always felt more like a trigger than the PS3 dualshock. So am gonna try your file, see if I can make it work. These forums really work, have been stalking your queries about controller support for a week or more. Seems you went and made the support yourself, kudos!

Upvote 0
Jeez, so many asshats around here. It's as bad as all the 13 year olds on the Xbox 360 MW2...

Anyway, good job. I don't play with the controller, but to those who do, it's a great feature.

I know one war veteran who plays in our LAN party group who has severe muscle cramps when playing with the mouse from injuries, and he does a good job compensating with the controller.

Reactions: Cobra_H1
Upvote 0
Installed and working

Installed and working

Many thanks to Cobra_H1!

I followed the install instructions and it works first time, doesn't stop the keyboard /Mouse working as normal either from what I can see.

The drawbacks of a controller from a couple of hours play are that you can't turn round your view as fast as a KB/M, and lining up a careful shot can sometimes be very difficult, which last is a big issue if you don't run and gun, like I don't.

The pros are ease of movement, when you are used to gamepads, relaxed posture, ease of hitting the (T key) button for objectives and other keys, the great feel of squeezing the trigger. Seems to work great as is for tank movement as a driver, though I can't speak for other tank commands as I don't know them and couldn't try them last night. Will see which way I want to go but now I have the choice, at no cost, thanks to Cobra!

Upvote 0