• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

character is so small isnt it?

i know you can make your environment around your character, can scale things, but heres the difference in character heights.

Ro2 -> Ro1 -> UT3
Irrelevant. The conversion between UU and cm is different between UE2 and UE3. RO1 was 67.43uu = 1m or something weird like that. In RO2 it's 50uu = 1m.

The characters are the right size, it's the environments that are larger.

Upvote 0
Irrelevant. The conversion between UU and cm is different between UE2 and UE3. RO1 was 67.43uu = 1m or something weird like that. In RO2 it's 50uu = 1m.

The characters are the right size, it's the environments that are larger.

I know it's irrelevant. I didn't say it was "wrong". like i said, you can design around your characters. "No" biggie here ;)

EDIT:

hell i played a Mod in ut3 called "The Haunted" , witch i mapped for, and the characters were 176 UU.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeneralGinger
Upvote 0
K6bz1h.jpg

This one is the funniest! The door handle is at neck height of the average 1940s man. Who would make a door that huge, and with the handle that far up the door?

---

Upvote 0
This one is the funniest! The door handle is at neck height of the average 1940s man. Who would make a door that huge, and with the handle that far up the door?

---

I gather you and most of the complainers in this thread have never been in a historical european building.
Room heights of 4 to 5 meters and doors of 3 meters size with the handle raised proportionally are normal in historical inner cities which have not been devasted in a world war and been rebuild with "modern" buildings in the 50ies.

Now I won't deny that the proportions are off, but the door example is a pretty bad one, as it is the one thing that could be correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to video games.

The problem with real life dimensions is they do not look correct through a first person screen perspective that FPS games use. Railings and walls at realistic heights look too low and doors, stairs, and windows look too small.

I really wish this wasn't the case but it is, and it's a nightmare to solve... you basically have to trade off. Do you want a playable area with space to move that is much larger than real life or do you want a cramped space which is frustrating to navigate which has realistic dimensions?
That's exactly what I was considering. It may be a bit unrealistic but it's probably alot more fun to play in.

Upvote 0
I gather you and most of the complainers in this thread have never been in a historical european building.
Room heights of 4 to 5 meters and doors of 3 meters size with the handle raised proportionally are normal in historical inner cities which have not been devasted in a world war and been rebuild with "modern" buildings in the 50ies.

Now I won't deny that the proportions are off, but the door example is a pretty bad one, as it is the one thing that could be correct.

It's not a bad example. I'm pretty sure the "standard" residential doorframe height was already 210cm (about 6'10'') back in the 40s, or perhaps even a tad less. Regardless, even a larger-than-usual door should have the handle on the same place (a bit above waist height), it's clearly not the case on the screenshot.

EDIT: Just checked, the worldwide standard has the door handle vary between 90cm-105cm from the floor. Even if we assume it to be 105cm, that would have the russian on the pic be about 135cm (a tad over 4 feet!) tall, and that's pushing it.

TWI is awesome but you should just admit they got the scale of the world pretty wrong in relation to the player models:

R0hIQh.jpg

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did nobody read my post on page 1?

I did and don't think thats the case.

You got a point here. I live in Poland and I've seen many buildings that survived German ocupatuion and then Russian rampage. Many of them looks similar to those shown on screenshots in this thread.

But don't get me wrong. This doesn't mean that proportions in RO2 aren't off, it just mean that some of them are not that much off.

2515750135_27cb8e7748_o.jpg

rynek19.jpg

Kamienica_Krusche_i_Ender_Lodz.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think that any TWI Dev will post here, sometimes is better to be silent. But I woul'd really like to know if its some kind of (rather big) oversight at level design stage, or maybe it's been made in purpose to deal with some kind of tech problem? And the most importatnt question, is it possible to fix it at this development stage? I'm afaid not.

PS. I'm still gona enojoy the hell out of this amazing game! My Collector's Edition box should arrive within 9 days!

Reactions: Niklas
Upvote 0