• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

character is so small isnt it?

It's once again take the clients / fans for idiots.

If any more pointless drama is brought to this subject, a small kitten will probably explode.

Seriously - if something like this is genuinely breaking your immersion in RO2, I think you just have a problem suspending your disbelief :) To be honest, something far more immersion-breaking for me is this shiny TOSHIBA logo beneath my battlefield. It's been bugging me for some time now. I can't help thinking that WWII soldiers didn't see the world through an LCD TV - but maybe I'm just being cynical.

Reactions: vyyye and Xienen
Upvote 0
I beg you to explain the numerous ways in which this affects gameplay...

I never said it wasn't obvious nor that it was something that we'd never "fix" at some point, I was simply stating the fact that it doesn't affect gameplay and not a single post has proven otherwise...nor even tried....

vs.

Actually it can have some impact on gameplay.

In a game with a world modelled after real life, when we look at things such as walls, doors, windows, trucks and more that we've all seen in real life we tend to use their apparent size to determine distance and to estimate what size other things in the game are going to be relative the things we've seen.

For instance, looking through a doorway, one would assume that aiming approximately 1/4 from the top would be pretty close to the head of someone walking through the door. In the game taking that shot would be over the head of someone walking through the doorway.
Same thing would apply to windows and walls. From a distance you could aim at the corner and approximate the height of a man compared to the size of bricks and how hight the windows are, but again, if the scale is different between the world and the characters, things become strange.

Now that I think about it this scale inconsistency might be the reason why I've always felt that the kill distances where a lot longer than what the game said.

GG
/endthread

Upvote 0
I beg you to explain the numerous ways in which this affects gameplay...

I never said it wasn't obvious nor that it was something that we'd never "fix" at some point, I was simply stating the fact that it doesn't affect gameplay and not a single post has proven otherwise...nor even tried....

vs.

Actually it can have some impact on gameplay.

In a game with a world modelled after real life, when we look at things such as walls, doors, windows, trucks and more that we've all seen in real life we tend to use their apparent size to determine distance and to estimate what size other things in the game are going to be relative the things we've seen.

For instance, looking through a doorway, one would assume that aiming approximately 1/4 from the top would be pretty close to the head of someone walking through the door. In the game taking that shot would be over the head of someone walking through the doorway.
Same thing would apply to windows and walls. From a distance you could aim at the corner and approximate the height of a man compared to the size of bricks and how hight the windows are, but again, if the scale is different between the world and the characters, things become strange.

Now that I think about it this scale inconsistency might be the reason why I've always felt that the kill distances where a lot longer than what the game said.

GG
/endthread

Wha...how'd I miss that? He makes a very good point, actually. I stand corrected, this can definitely impact gameplay in some scenarios. We'll have to see how we can correct some of these issues. As has been pointed out, there's no way this will be corrected for the first release, but we might be able to improve things over time after that.

Sorry this thread couldn't continue to be a source of amusement, guys ;)

Upvote 0
Wha...how'd I miss that? He makes a very good point, actually. I stand corrected, this can definitely impact gameplay in some scenarios. We'll have to see how we can correct some of these issues. As has been pointed out, there's no way this will be corrected for the first release, but we might be able to improve things over time after that.

Answer like this would make me calm and silent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not troll or hater, I'm actually a big fan of RO1 and TWI. I also own Killing Floor, The Ball and Dwarfs, and I like those games. I've pre-oredered boxed collector's edition of RO2 and I can wait to play it. I just hate thought that game that seems to be nearly perfect in some complicated design areas is so terribly broken in some other basic design areas. I just hope it won't be as much immersion killing ingame as it is on third person view screenshots.

Upvote 0
I just hope it won't be as much immersion killing ingame as it is on third person view screenshots.
It's not. Considering not all maps have this issue to begin with. The rail cars on FF might be too big, a door way may be bigger than it should be, and stairs may visually seem to steep when you run up them. But they're fairly isolated IMO.

Frankly, when it's house-to-house fighting, you're too wound up to worry about **** like whether a window or door is too tall. And if you're aiming 1/4 up the doorway to get a headshot through a door frame, and the dude is crouching, you're going to miss one way or another. Take another map, Barracks, and the hallway on NCO. The distances and scale is right there. And I can think of no other hallway that figures as prominently in any of the maps.

As for how TWI responds.....been that way since KF when I got here. Maybe one day they'll hire a PR guy to save them from themselves.

Upvote 0
Answer like this would make me calm and silent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not troll or hater, I'm actually a big fan of RO1 and TWI. I also own Killing Floor, The Ball and Dwarfs, and I like those games. I've pre-oredered boxed collector's edition of RO2 and I can wait to play it. I just hate thought that game that seems to be nearly perfect in some complicated design areas is so terribly broken in some other basic design areas. I just hope it won't be as much immersion killing ingame as it is on third person view screenshots.

It might also be that the Map Designer simply made in Error in scaling the Meshes, can happen.

Just a lot of work to find and correct. Collecting such offset Sizes wouldn't be a bad idea. But correcting it will happen after game stopping Bugs/Performance issues have been sorted, thats priority one.

Upvote 0
61647281.jpg

32340677.jpg

98914866.jpg

54966545.jpg

98309588h.jpg

34433851l.jpg

22175620.jpg

30537802.jpg

96010526.jpg

my fix just one example.. not completely perfect i just like saying ro2 main characher is looks so skinny and little short..

fix: glasses ->grasses
sorry my english

Hi guys will this ever be fixed? At themoment characters look very small compared to windows and doors....:confused::(

Upvote 0
My 2 cents? The issue here is real, and good job raising it, but don't be surprised by the rivet counter thing. Particularly when you call yourself luftwaffle, which although amusing, is reminiscent of all the german names that bad-attitude RCers tend to have.

Rivet counters do exist. People who's hobby is being a serious historian and not developing a game, and then because they're ignorant to the sheer difficulty of making a game, they crap all over TWIs hard HARD work and just point out the tiny issues.

and then they're furious when the issues aren't looked at with a high priority.

"I NOTICED SOMETHING, me!!"

"sorry mate we're game developers we have bigger problems" - is actually what a game developer often has to say.

"IGNORING THE COMMUNITY ARE YOU? I'LL MAKE 10 THREADS CALLING FOR AN UPRISING!!"

Most developers don't even visit their forums. The immature rivet-counter can be a real problem here.

Posting a problem is ok, but it's easy to be mistaken for one of these ignorant folk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0