• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Beta Update Changelog - September 2

Ranking is fine, unlocks are fine, rare weapons HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN RED ORCHESTRA, how is the recon plane unrealistic? They were used in that capacity during Stalingrad, what about the load-outs are incorrect? Get used to the English VA, it's there to stay.

You're asking them to just remake RO1 with better graphics at this point.

Speak for yourself. It may be fine for you, but that's your opinion. No, I don't want RO2 to be RO:O with better graphics. Read my post a little bit better.

The recon plane is unrealistic because:

1.) It flies way too low. The pilot would have to be suicidal to fly that low over a combat zone.

2.) It can spot camouflaged infantry. Sure, recon planes WERE used, but mostly in a strategical role and maybe to spot tanks (I'd be fine with that). But there's no way that an airplane can identify or even spot camouflaged infantry from a height of several kilometers.

All we're asking for is an option. I didn't post that message to start an argument, it was merely a request, a question to Tripwire. Feel free to disagree, but you already have your Relaxed realism mode, so don't start that defensive "I don't like options, the game is already perfect" type of argument here, please. There's already far too much of that crap on these forums these days. Live and let live.

Reactions: Fultron
Upvote 0
Speak for yourself. It may be fine for you, but that's your opinion. No, I don't want RO2 to be RO:O with better graphics. Read my post a little bit better.

1.) It flies way too low. The pilot would have to be suicidal to fly that low over a combat zone.

2.) It can spot camouflaged infantry. Sure, recon planes WERE used, but mostly in a strategical role and maybe to spot tanks (I'd be fine with that). But there's no way that an airplane can identify or even spot camouflaged infantry from a height of several kilometers.

All we're asking for is an option. I didn't post that message to start an argument, it was merely a request, a question to Tripwire. Feel free to disagree, but you already have your Relaxed realism mode, so don't start that defensive "I don't like options, the game is already perfect" type of argument here, please. There's already far too much of that crap on these forums these days. Live and let live.

so... you want an option for the plane flying higher and only spotting tanks??

Fun > Realistic

Upvote 0

The only way for a recon plane is to fly in low. That's what they did. And it only spots infantry out in the open.

I prefer the realism servers AND options, nowhere did I say I want a casualized game with no options, thank you for putting words in my mouth, but asking them to remove new features to the game which make it more realistic is stupid.

Upvote 0
so... you want an option for the plane flying higher and only spotting tanks??

Fun > Realistic

realistic does not exclude fun in RO, RO1 was a game that separated itself from the norm by being a realistic-isch shooter, and i think it's fairly evident that the sucess of the game was largely because of the realism niche.

ppl that love RO love it because of the realism and that is why we come back to it.

im probably not the only one that extracts his or her fun from the game based on the "realism" level in it.
I guess we are a special bunch that would rather get shot in the face 10 times realistically then have an even fun "lesser realistic" game.

/rant off

Upvote 0

I'm going to regret this but what you've just said is that the recon plane is flying too low (probably a few hundred metres) but then you argue that it shouldn't spot camouflaged infantry from several kilometres up? If it were several kilometres up, I might agree (in which case it shouldn't be able to spot any infantry at all, barely even tanks) but as it is only few hundred metres, I think that the current spotting is acceptable.

EDIT: What NightriderAOF said

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Agreed. Live and Let live. The game is less than 2 weeks away, and it doesn't look like any suggested options are going to make the release candidate.

Hopefully TWI takes some suggestions and add them to future patches or Mod teams take up the cause.

We will just have to wait and see what TWI wants to do. Personally, I'd rather see some variations on game types, new maps, etc etc. I'm not an Elitist Realism prick when it comes to RO. I play ARMA2 for realism. I would LOVE to see ARMA2 transformed into a WW2 game (The current mods are not nearly sufficient)

But again, live and let live. Everyone deserves to have their opinions heard and not be ridiculed for it. (With the caveat that they are respectfully posted of course)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
The only way for a recon plane is to fly in low. That's what they did.

Haha, [citation needed]. Look at these WWII aerial recon photographs, does that look like the planes flew at a height of 20 meters? It's not possible to spot camouflaged infantry (like these guys) from that height, and if it is, it's very difficult to get a positive ID on them.

PGwsD.jpg

Bs7X6.jpg

ktaUM.jpg

Again, I'd have no problem with them if the recon planes in RO2 flew higher than they currently do and could only spot vehicles and stuff like that. But that's not the point of this thread. All I did was ask for an option. And there are a lot of things I like about RO. But it looks like an argument is coming up and I didn't mean to start any, so I'll pull out of this thread. It's just a bid disappointing that it's somewhat impossible these days to question some of TWI's motives without someone writing a defensive post in reply.

EDIT: I also realize that RO is not a sim. It's somewhat in between an arcade game and a sim. Many of the things in RO get abstracted, such as the artillery, which doesn't take as long as it did IRL to arrive. But the recon plane got abstracted a bit too much IMO.

Anyway, I'll stop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"The L4 Grasshopper was a useful addition to the US artillery batteries supporting the Allied war machine. They could fly above the battlefield and observe enemy movement and positions. After a short radio message back to fire control, HE rounds would begin landing on the enemy's head!

The light aircraft could hop over trees, hills and other obstacles and surpise the enemy. Before they could react the radio message giving away their position was already away and shells incoming!"

Dangerously low :cool:

Upvote 0