• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Open Letter To The Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramm -- thanks for the post. I think the real source behind much of the negative criticism coming from us RO Faithful has been the concern that we weren't being listened to, but being branded as flamers/trollers because there has been plenty of THAT going on too. Simple PR moves this go a very long way to helping to quell those concerns, and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do it.

I obviously can't say I'm super happy about all of your decisions, but I also respect that these are your choices. I'm really looking forward to playing the game on release, and we'll go from there regarding post-release tweaks/suggestions that any of us might have.

Just remember -- we're only critical because we are huge fans ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I'd also like to add that I'm ashamed for succumbing to all that negativity.

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
While I greatly appreciate any official communication from the devs...

What exactly is the point of having to unlock standard equipment such as the bayonet if you're going to potentially be giving a blanket unlock to owners of RO1? That seems silly.

And I want to know who thought unlocking bayonets was a good idea? I've always been opposed to unlocks, achievements, and the like in games so this rubs me the wrong way like you can't imagine.

Upvote 0
While I greatly appreciate any official communication from the devs...

What exactly is the point of having to unlock standard equipment such as the bayonet if you're going to potentially be giving a blanket unlock to owners of RO1? That seems silly.

And I want to know who thought unlocking bayonets was a good idea? I've always been opposed to unlocks, achievements, and the like in games so this rubs me the wrong way like you can't imagine.

RO1 owners are used to having Bayonets are standard equipment. People were annoyed that they removed something to be unlocked, and realism guys are bothered by it being a standard issue for soldiers.

Well, TWI decided to give it to anyone owning RO1, this solves the issue for anyone that complained, because anyone that complained already has RO1. The new guys that don't know RO, or realism that much, won't be bothered so they can unlock it.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered unlocking it, but I'm glad I'm getting it right away.

Upvote 0
RO1 owners are used to having Bayonets are standard equipment. People were annoyed that they removed something to be unlocked, and realism guys are bothered by it being a standard issue for soldiers.

Well, TWI decided to give it to anyone owning RO1, this solves the issue for anyone that complained, because anyone that complained already has RO1. The new guys that don't know RO, or realism that much, won't be bothered so they can unlock it.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered unlocking it, but I'm glad I'm getting it right away.

Personally, I don't think it was a big deal.

If realism guys can stomach the whole ranking, unlock and rare weapon thing, surely the bayonets aren't going to make the difference?

I'm pretty sure it was going to be a pretty low level unlock, though.

Upvote 0
And this is just what everyone wanted all along. This post :).

Q: But but but, what about bayonets!@#$@#$

A: Ok we'll give you this one. We've decided that everyone that owns RO1 will have a day 1 unlock of the bayonets for the Kar98 and the Mosin Nagant 91/30. So go stab happy right out of the gate! The other weapons you'll still have to earn them, but this is our compromise.
I would scream DAY ONE BUY but I was set on that years ago anyways.
So I guess I'll just buy 2.

:)

Upvote 0
Q: But you've got weapon X that I just totally think is unrealistic which means you guys have gone off into fantasy land!

A: Get over yourselves. We use the same yardstick for inclusion of weapons in RO2 that we did in RO1. If it could possibly have been there, it is fair game to put in the game. We had the PPD40 in RO1, that rare weapon didn't ruin the game. Where was the outrage over the inclusion of the G41 in RO1?

To be honest, and me being one of the most senior members in here I think, I do remember those very points getting discussed. But they were discussed in a more civilized manner, which isn't surprising with the community being quite small and closely knit back in those days.

And I do remember that the adding of vehicels was discussed quite passionately, and people in ehre (or rather, back in the old forums) feared they weren't up to TW's (simply known as RO-Devs back then) standards.

And I do remember the outcry when the "message scrolls" and GPS map was introduced once Ro went retail...

So conclusively, I think that the "core" RO community just loves the game so much that it fears any kind of change. And we all know that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the dark side!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I'd also like to add that I'm ashamed for succumbing to all that negativity.
I don't think they're is any reason to be ashamed for being negative. Being negative is a part of the criticism process. The important thing is that you always back up such criticism with solutions and are willing to make compromises ;)

I still feel "negatively" about some of the choices that TWI might be making, but that doesn't make me a bad person or not a huge TWI fan. As a matter of fact, I think it's an integral part to being a huge TWI fan.

Upvote 0
I for one am a COD guy for a long time now and we all know what condition COD is in (SH#T), so I am very thankful that the head man at TWI takes the time to post on the forums here and a few other choice places clearing the air so to speak. My very small clan is prepared to give 100% for RO2 because in our eyes this is the only shooter worth a crap to come out in ages . I know you think most of us COD guys are a bunch of asinine bunny hoppers but some of us really do like a tactical game and can actually play a little. I plan on running a server from day one and look forward to being a part of the RO2 community. Thanks again John for taking the time to enlighten us.

Upvote 0
Ramm -- thanks for the post. I think the real source behind much of the negative criticism coming from us RO Faithful has been the concern that we weren't being listened to, but being branded as flamers/trollers because there has been plenty of THAT going on too. Simple PR moves this go a very long way to helping to quell those concerns, and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do it.

I obviously can't say I'm super happy about all of your decisions, but I also respect that these are your choices. I'm really looking forward to playing the game on release, and we'll go from there regarding post-release tweaks/suggestions that any of us might have.

Just remember -- we're only critical because we are huge fans ;)

That. Took the words right out of my mouth but said em better.

Upvote 0
But overwhelmingly the beta guys REALLY like the game. I'm going to post something here that sums it up really well that one of the betas said. Those of you that know Amerikaner know that this guy has a habit of speaking his mind, and is the furthest thing from a Tripwire "puppet" you can get on these forums. This was the feedback he posted on the private beta forums:

Amerikaner: I must say, the feel of the beta is pointing to RO2 being what I hoped it would be. It seems to retain what makes RO great, but pushes those characteristics to the next level by adding the complexity of a simulation like ArmA but in such a way that is inviting and smooth. One of the absolute greatest aspects of RO since the mod was that it really made you feel like you were firing a weapon. RO2 takes that to the next level. It sounds corny as hell but during the Fallen Fighters session today, after firing the Kar98 across the square, I honestly thought I smelled burnt gunpowder for a split second. It felt so real that my mind actually took me back to the range in my head. That's some damn good game mechanics. I cannot wait to play more.

So I'm going to leave you all with that. Hope things cheer up around here, and I look forward to seeing you guys on the battlefield.

A timely and well thought out post John..

I am a beta tester and I entered the beta with a clear idea of what I personaly wanted to see RO2 deliver as a game.
And this game is delivering everything and more that I had hoped for.
I was sceptical about the hud elements and about how accesible the game would or could be for new gamers playing it for the first time...Boy was I wrong..
The attention to detail in all aspects of the game is quite frankly overwhelming..
The new countdown gametype has added an element of urgency that requires total team effort in order to take an objective.
And its fun with a capital "F"

For the those who want to play RO in its purest form I think that the server options will ensure that clan communities and gaming groups can play the game the way they want to play it and get even more depth from the game than they experienced in RO1.

I sincerley hope that the whole community now swings behind TWI because RO2 will be a game that everyone will enjoy immensely no matter how you wish to play it..:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.