• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Amazing new screenshots!

This is actually one of the qualities of Ostfront that I prefer. When everyone is on the same level playing field as far as avatar abilities goes, then you can really see the individualities of the players behind the keyboard. If you've played RO for any length of time, you can easily see how some guys are able to do things with the avatar that others can't; true skill really shines. I'm of the impression that powering up in HOES will play out just like it does in other FPS's that have levelling.. the same, universally agreed 'most powerful' combination of levelups will be chosen by everyone, so who knows.. maybe after some time everyone will again be on the same level playing field.

In my opinion, when you add powerups/levelling, it will be the guys who are already more skilled at the game who will benefit most as they will be the first ones to achieve the powerups; some casual players may never level up much at all and will be facing guys who are naturally better to begin with and who also have powered up avatars.

Actually I'm in agreement with you. When it's player skill that determines the outcome of engagements and not necessarily your "build".
Take Mount and Blade: Warband. Very under appreciated game where player skill prevails. Granted positioning and weapon type are factors , but it's all about maximizing your style .

I'm interested in seeing the progression , however . I really hope the differences are slight in abilities . And , I suppose , it is a bit more realistic to not have soldiers as clones of each other. It's all about maximizing your "build" and style of gameplay.
And it appears they attach it to weapon type instead of account so your not "locked in" to always using your machinegunner because that's what your skill set supports.

Upvote 0
Is there going to be varied running speeds included in game?

I think it would be cool if the type of equipment weight carried had an effect on how long/fast people could sprint

One problem with varied running speed is sticking with your squad. It's one thing for people to have different top / sprint speeds, but if everybody is jogging at a different pace, you won't have a group very long.

Though I guess it depends on how long a huff it is. With the spawn near squad leader, it shouldn't be too big a problem.

Upvote 0
Yes, MkB's could be equipped with a scope, otherwise it wouldn't be in our game!!!

mkb42_887a.jpg

i don't think people have figured out that the dev team has done there research, and isn't just shooting stuff out of there asses. :p

Upvote 0
Amazing stuff as usual TWI - much respect.

While everyones fighting about some German stuff Id like to take a second and say that the Soviet summer uniforms are ideal and look quite perfect.

The maxim MG looks awesome but in the screenshot its firing and theres no ammo belt attached??

Also with the Soviet models weaaring the helmets, do all of them have the chinstrap on the front of the helmet? More of a "Western" thing.

P.S. Hoping the Soviet Heroes wear their medals.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you, but just like in real life, I would want to bail out of a burning tank and live to tank another day. Burning alive doesn't sound too appealing to me. And as far as battle effectiveness, I guess you've never fought a tanker that knows how to use an SMG or Pistol.

I realize that tankers would have small arms with them, but how many of them would really want to run into the fray right after their tank had just been knocked out by an enemy tank? While yes, the tank crewmen probably would not have sat and let themselves burn, they would probably be combat inneffective after their tank had been knocked out, and in RO combat ineffective = dead.

This is actually one of the qualities of Ostfront that I prefer. When everyone is on the same level playing field as far as avatar abilities goes, then you can really see the individualities of the players behind the keyboard. If you've played RO for any length of time, you can easily see how some guys are able to do things with the avatar that others can't; true skill really shines. I'm of the impression that powering up in HOES will play out just like it does in other FPS's that have levelling.. the same, universally agreed 'most powerful' combination of levelups will be chosen by everyone, so who knows.. maybe after some time everyone will again be on the same level playing field.

In my opinion, when you add powerups/levelling, it will be the guys who are already more skilled at the game who will benefit most as they will be the first ones to achieve the powerups; some casual players may never level up much at all and will be facing guys who are naturally better to begin with and who also have powered up avatars.

I'm pretty sure that the levelups won't be anything like you think they'll be. The "most powerful" thing might be like "Display Iron Cross/Hero of Soviet Union on person" which gives your allies around you a morale boost or "Cool under pressure" which makes you get surpresssed less easily. A fresh-faced young recruit handled by a skilled player will still very easily be able to defeat a grizzled Corporal Steinier-type handled by a medicore player who has just played the game alot.

EDIT: The power of christ compells you, ghost page!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I understand there is a 'reload faster'.. 'more sprinting stamina' etc. added to the game.

Well, I can see an experienced soldier in WW2 being practised in the art of reloading, thus being faster at reloading, and being physically fitter, giving him more stamina. At least we know it's not a high boost like the Level 6 Commando reload speed increase or Level 6 Medic run speed found in Killing Floor.

Upvote 0
From what I understand there is a 'reload faster'.. 'more sprinting stamina' etc. added to the game.

I hate things like this. Not even because it's 'gamey' or unrealistic because tbh it's really bad from a pure gameplay point of view as well. If you're going to have players progress in a meaningful way at I think adding items that give some utility or are harder to use. Straight up stats buffs are really bad design especially for a multiplayer fps.

How have the new screenshots been received at Reddit's r/gaming?

Pretty well

It made the bottom of the front page, and the population of /r/redorchestra doubled. I wish TW would release more updates before everyone spends all thier money on the steam sale since those are their primary customers.

Upvote 0