• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Amazing new screenshots!

Sounds like modern revisionist history to me. Using your example, in 100 more years history classes will claim the Germans started the war off with Tiger I's.

Right. Mkb42's in Stalingrad is of the same magnitude as Tigers in 1939. :rolleyes:

What about the rare MkB with an even rarer scope for it? Is that not "red dot" enough?
MkB's with those scopes existed in WWII. Red dot sights did not. That's the difference.

Its actually three weapons and maybe more: the MkB 42, MP 40II, and AVT 40. I can even toss the Panzer IV F2 in here for the tanker guys.
And once again, how does this change invalidate RO2's multitude of realism enhancing features?

In 8 months they will be as empty as the realism servers in RO1 are now. What to play then? Some 24/7 Danzig/All Heros/All MkB/All AVT server?
If realism servers will be empty in 8 months, that means there will be no demand for realism, in which case, in 8 months, who would play the game at all if maximum realism was the only option?

By jamming as these things had a bad tendency to jam, by using the MP 40's better weapon characteristics (more controllable, accurate, etc...), by putting in game the MP 717(r) instead of some rare MP 40II, and by issuing more stick mags at the expense of drums as the game progresses.
RO2 is above all a game that is meant to be fun. Rare weapons are fun. TWI isn't making a game to satisfy you grognards. Accept this fact and stop making asinine forum posts.

And last time I looked RO2 does feature a primative "healthpack" called bandaging.
Bandaging =/= healthpack. Plus, the banding system is more complex than your standard instant healing healthpack, so you couldn't call it a kind of primitive healthpack. That's like saying iron sights are a form of primitive crosshair.

No they are not. This is what was promised:

Realism
Read much? It says streamlinedrealism, not full uncompromising realism.

, Unrivaled accuracy, Attention to detail,
Name me a released WWII shooter is more detailed and accurate than RO2 appears to be and I'll concede this point.

Delivering the tactical shooter realism of the original...
Not only have you yet to play RO2, you don't believe the multitude of realism enhancing features compared to RO:Ost far outweights the minor, realism-unaffecting historical accuracies, which can be disabled, that are present in the game? That's not even taking into account that RO:Ost had an even greater number of blatant historical accuracies than RO2.

You're right, RO2 isn't delivering the tactical shooter realism of the original. It's delivering MORE than the original.

I would like to know this as well or will this be one of those undetailed "generic tripod with missing parts thing" deal?
"One of those?" :rolleyes: In order to say that you have to have more than one that fits the category of the description. But apparently, not being 100% indisputably accurate = undetailed.

Yes. The entire "Hero weapons unlock" thing is proof of this. Even the stats thing with the headshot thing as well:

test2q.jpg

Guyz BOOM HEADSHOT guyz!!!11111!!!! is the direction this game is going.
Yes, and let's just conveniently leave out the multitude of realism enhancing features that affect the game far more than Heroes or stats, and unlike Heroes and stats, can't be disabled serverside. :rolleyes:

Tanks had escape hatches. The TW boasting about realism, unrivaled accuracy, attention to detail, etc would demand the ability to exit tanks. Tank exiting is beneficial to scouting the immediate area. Whether the player becomes combat ineffective or not is the players own business. Some company should not be telling the player "You can't do that because we say so" or "The escape hatches are not for escape" and then claim to be a "realism" product with "unrivaled accuracy".
Oh FFS, not this shi- again. Go do a search on bailing from tanks, and you'll realize that preventing tankers from bailing was a gameplay compromise, not a failure to uphold realism. Remember, this is a GAME. A GAME.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are two types of gamers, with varying shades of gray, that reside on RO spectrum: Casual and tactical/realism gamers.

And on the very far end of the spectrum are grognards like you who won't accept that RO2 is not about full, uncompromising realism and historical accuracy, who think even the most minor of casual-friendly design decisions automatically invalidates everything else that is pushing RO2 towards greater realism.

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
Don't want to sound like a whiny *****, but I find it strange that while devs engage in those pointless back and forth discussions about realism, they don't say a word about the lighting glitches instead. Of course, you don't owe me an answer, so I'm not demanding it... but you don't owe it to them either.

If you guys want to get to a larger audience, that is the stuff you should get absolutely right. The first thing the common folk sees in a game are the graphics, and details like that can throw more people out than any weapon mod that may or may not have been there can.

I'm not gonna go with some stupid fake drama or exaggeration to make my point, like "the game looks horrible" because it would be completely false and absurd, and honestly, I don't really care that much myself, the game looks very good as it is, and if the gameplay is half as good as it seems, this is gonna be simply the best game ever. But that opinion may differ, specially the guys that don't know how the game plays.

I just want you guys to sell as much as possible, and I'd be bad if you lost sales for that reason. I'm also posting about this issue again just in case my previous posts went under your radar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe they hold op some old athenian principles of old(er) men with boy lovers as highest possible form of relationship and be manly in the very old fashioned way?

Oh sorry Oldih, I removed my post as I had accidentally posted directly after one of my fellow unit members, thought that would've attracted too much trolls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't want to sound like a whiny *****, but I find it strange that while devs engage in those pointless back and forth discussions about realism, they don't say a word about the lighting glitches instead. Of course, you don't owe me an answer, so I'm not demanding it... but you don't owe it to them either.

If you guys want to get to a larger audience, that is the stuff you should get absolutely right. The first thing the common folk sees in a game are the graphics, and details like that can throw more people out than any weapon mod that may or may not have been there can.

I'm not gonna go with some stupid fake drama or exaggeration to make my point, like "the game looks horrible" because it would be completely false and absurd, and honestly, I don't really care that much myself, the game looks very good as it is, and if the gameplay is half as good as it seems, this is gonna be simply the best game ever. But that opinion may differ, specially the guys that don't know how the game plays.

I just want you guys to sell as much as possible, and I'd be bad if you lost sales for that reason. I'm also posting about this issue again just in case my previous posts went under your radar.

I'm sure they noticed by now, Fedorov. :p

It's possible they either don't have time to work it out before release and will tackle it later, or it's something easy they've put off until serious testing is over with.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0

I'd like to know as well. The lighting doesn't look bad but there are some very obvious errors in both the environments shadows and the self shadowing of the players.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
"One of those?" :rolleyes: In order to say that you have to have more than one that fits the category of the description. But apparently, not being 100% indisputably accurate = undetailed.

actually, modeling a lafette without the scope its like modeling the maxim without ironsights, it was the way it was designed to be aimed, not by using the mg ironsights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uffz.Juschkat
Upvote 0
So if players progress and are able to put points into things such as...

Reload time
Quickness of bringing up iron sites
Foot speed

.... it's almost like every soldier will be slightly different. Almost like they were REAL people (gasp) and not the assembly line drones we know the Russians and Germans constructed. Historically , and realistically, all know EVERY soldier ran at the same speed, reloaded the same, etc etc.
But I guess for unrealistic gameplay TW allowed people to customize their soldiers to varying degrees.

VERY unrealistic. But hey, it is a game.

(As long as the speed variances we are talking are within the realm of possibility, I'll be happy)

Upvote 0
So if players progress and are able to put points into things such as...

Reload time
Quickness of bringing up iron sites
Foot speed

.... it's almost like every soldier will be slightly different. Almost like they were REAL people (gasp) and not the assembly line drones we know the Russians and Germans constructed. Historically , and realistically, all know EVERY soldier ran at the same speed, reloaded the same, etc etc.
But I guess for unrealistic gameplay TW allowed people to customize their soldiers to varying degrees.

VERY unrealistic. But hey, it is a game.

(As long as the speed variances we are talking are within the realm of possibility, I'll be happy)

Is there going to be varied running speeds included in game?

I think it would be cool if the type of equipment weight carried had an effect on how long/fast people could sprint

Upvote 0
Helmer said:
Almost like they were REAL people (gasp) and not the assembly line drones we know the Russians and Germans constructed.

This is actually one of the qualities of Ostfront that I prefer. When everyone is on the same level playing field as far as avatar abilities goes, then you can really see the individualities of the players behind the keyboard. If you've played RO for any length of time, you can easily see how some guys are able to do things with the avatar that others can't; true skill really shines. I'm of the impression that powering up in HOES will play out just like it does in other FPS's that have levelling.. the same, universally agreed 'most powerful' combination of levelups will be chosen by everyone, so who knows.. maybe after some time everyone will again be on the same level playing field.

In my opinion, when you add powerups/levelling, it will be the guys who are already more skilled at the game who will benefit most as they will be the first ones to achieve the powerups; some casual players may never level up much at all and will be facing guys who are naturally better to begin with and who also have powered up avatars.

Reactions: Stormer and Apos
Upvote 0
actually, modeling a lafette without the scope its like modeling the maxim without ironsights, it was the way it was designed to be aimed, not by using the mg ironsights.

Oh, I'm not disputing that. I'd like to see the scope on the lafette as well. But if you read Tank!'s posts, he seems to think that anything that isn't 100% perfectly accurate is "undetailed" , an "afterthough rush job" or something of the like.

Upvote 0