• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Amazing new screenshots!

Play with the proper mods (ACE, Zeus AI,ACRE, etc) and ARMA2 is uber realism/Atmospheric . Great game.

Glad to see Rise of Flight get a mention too .... Incredible game. 777 is a hell of a supportive PC studio .

It's awesome to see companies like TW, 777, and Bohemia Interactive put out games that people get so passionate about!! It's a great time to be a PC gamer.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Wings of Prey MMO, WWIIONLINE, D-day 1944, il2, Invasion 1944 Arma2 mod, Rise of Flight, Liberation '44 and Darkest Hour.
Funny you should mention DH, as giving the community what they asked for made it thoroughly less enjoyable. I may as well throw rocks at people for all the use grenades are.

As for the "this is a DEMOCRACY" posts, are you guys ****ing serious? This is a privately-owned, privately-run forum for a privately-developed product which there is no obligation for you to buy. TWI can do whatever they damn well please because they are the company here and you are the consumer. If they do something you don't like, then don't buy their product; otherwise, quit making terrible posts on an online forum and take a moment to think about how much you love your glorious capitalist democracy. Politics have less than no place in this thread and you were already acting like a bunch of spoiled children before that started - a real fine impression of the game's community you're going to give newcomers!

Reactions: EvilHobo
Upvote 0
Tank! said:
Sounds like modern revisionist history to me. Using your example, in 100 more years history classes will claim the Germans started the war off with Tiger I's.
Tank! said:
What about the rare MkB with an even rarer scope for it? Is that not "red dot" enough?
Tank! said:
Its an assault rifle in Stalingrad 1942 ffs. Many people throw complaints over a few handfuls of STG's in DG 1944. And that is a full two years later. And not just that weapon inclusion but the MP 40II and AVT 40 as well. And last time I looked RO2 does feature a primative "healthpack" called bandaging.

The "rare" weapons they're implementing in the game, will be rare and restricted in the game. If they bother you so much then play on a server without them.

Did such rare MkB's and rare scopes for it exist? Yes. What's the problem?

Tank! said:
Its actually three weapons and maybe more: the MkB 42, MP 40II, and AVT 40. I can even toss the Panzer IV F2 in here for the tanker guys.

As Wilsonam has stated many times it isn't an F2. And again as above - if the weapons existed what's the problem? They've been implemented to appear "rarely" - if you don't like them play on a server without them.

Tank! said:
In 8 months they will be as empty as the realism servers in RO1 are now. What to play then? Some 24/7 Danzig/All Heros/All MkB/All AVT server?

There are plenty of vanilla RO servers running now, 5 years after the game came out. Pretty sure RO:HOS will do significantly better.

Tank! said:
By jamming as these things had a bad tendency to jam, by using the MP 40's better weapon characteristics (more controllable, accurate, etc...), by putting in game the MP 717(r) instead of some rare MP 40II, and by issuing more stick mags at the expense of drums as the game progresses.

What makes you think the MP40 isn't more controllable/accurate than the PPSH in the game? And again, if you don't like the rare weapons then play on a server without them.

Tank! said:
Its an assault rifle in Stalingrad 1942 ffs. Many people throw complaints over a few handfuls of STG's in DG 1944. And that is a full two years later. And not just that weapon inclusion but the MP 40II and AVT 40 as well. And last time I looked RO2 does feature a primative "healthpack" called bandaging.

If you don't like the rare weapons then play on a server without them.
How is the bandaging a healthpack? If you get hit in a non critical area you need to perform an action to not slowly become incapacitated.

Realism, Unrivaled accuracy, Attention to detail, Delivering the tactical shooter realism of the original...
Aside from the rare weapons you're taking such issue with and which you can easily solve by play on a server without them how are TWI not delivering?

Tank! said:
Whoa there buddy but where I live this is a Democracy. Take your despicable bolshevik fanboy attitude to a decent etiquette school. What you stated is the exact thing the COD franchise is doing. Pumping out mediocre things that 'they' want in many versions/editions in an assembly line style so they can slap it on a plastic lunch box and sell it to the nearest sap.

All TWI have done have given people options, play the game you want to play - I fail to see how any of it is mediocre. If there's something you don't like then play without it.

Tank! said:
Yes. The entire "Hero weapons unlock" thing is proof of this. Even the stats thing with the headshot thing as well:

If you don't like it then ignore it, or play without it.

Tank! said:
Tanks had escape hatches. The TW boasting about realism, unrivaled accuracy, attention to detail, etc would demand the ability to exit tanks. Tank exiting is beneficial to scouting the immediate area. Whether the player becomes combat ineffective or not is the players own business. Some company should not be telling the player "You can't do that because we say so" or "The escape hatches are not for escape" and then claim to be a "realism" product with "unrivaled accuracy".

Discussed to death. And how many other games with RO's level of accuracy actually feature realistic bailing out of tanks?

Seriously there are enough people *****ing in here to host at least a dozen servers without persistent stats tracking, or heroes switched on!

All TWI has done is present you with choices - the rest is up to you. Seriously some of you people need to stop acting like a bunch of spoilt children. Either you're buying the game, or you arent. Whatever your decision - please get over it, or at least stop bogging this community down with your constantly negative bull****.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I REFUSE to buy this game. The tunic that German soldier is wearing is far too green for my liking. In 1942 they had a slightly darker tunic, of course I'm basing my opinion on pictures from google and assuming every soldier looked exactly the same, but I call myself a realism buff so up yours.

Upvote 0
Its actually three weapons and maybe more: the MkB 42, MP 40II, and AVT 40. I can even toss the Panzer IV F2 in here for the tanker guys.

Yet suddenly almost any other authencity\detail error that is not belovedly weapon or tank related is suddenly ignored because it makes their wiener fly. Yay hypocricy.

]Realism, Unrivaled accuracy, Attention to detail, Delivering the tactical shooter realism of the original...

And since when RO1 has been those things? Of all people you ought to be aware of that.

Whoa there buddy but where I live this is a Democracy.

Vote with your wallet then? It isn't that hard to make a decision unless you have serious issues with your personal ethical or morale grounds -- or simply lacking spine.

A dictator like microsoft ends up giving you buggy or inferior products such as Windows Vista.

Why not play the frenchman's advocate in the situation and be an opportunist? If TWI would have any serious competition I thought it would be healthy and a good thing? And if TWI bombs with their hypothetical inferior Der F

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I REFUSE to buy this game. The tunic that German soldier is wearing is far too green for my liking. In 1942 they had a slightly darker tunic, of course I'm basing my opinion on pictures from google and assuming every soldier looked exactly the same, but I call myself a realism buff so up yours.

Well said! lets start a RO2 Boycott. Nobody shall buy this game until they reduce the green of the tunics!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So. Much. *****ing.

Stop demanding that TWI has to bow to your every whim. No, game development does NOT work like that. I've never heard of a game developer that bases its entire development strategy on forum posts. That's a ridiculous idea. In fact, this very thread should be proof why game development isn't a democratic process! You guys can't even come to a consensus on what "realism" is. So why should TWI even pay attention to your contradictory opinions?

Yes, listening to the community, and knowing what people want is a GOOD thing. And TWI does in fact do this. Much more so than other developers. Many of the features you see in RO2:HOS came directly from community suggestions. But a game developer has to have a VISION and STICK WITH IT. If they don't do that, the project or even the entire company is doomed to fail from the very beginning.

Here is a quote from an interview with Jonathan Belletete, art director of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (poorly transcribed, but his point is clear):

Spoiler!

Really... some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for nagging so much. Hypercriticism is completely unnecessary. Especially because, you know, the Hero stuff is completely optional. Here TWI releases a bunch of really cool screenshots, probably the most beautiful screenshots to date in fact, and some of you do nothing but complain.

But all is still fine because most of the rivet counters will probably still end up buying RO2. The real winner here is TWI because they can be proud of the awesome game they've made. And the real fans of course.

Let's focus on the good things, shall we?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whoa there buddy but where I live this is a Democracy. Take your despicable bolshevik fanboy attitude to a decent etiquette school. What you stated is the exact thing the COD franchise is doing. Pumping out mediocre things that 'they' want in many versions/editions in an assembly line style so they can slap it on a plastic lunch box and sell it to the nearest sap.

No, what I said was that game developers tend to make games that they like and think is cool. They don't have to take orders from the community, that's just absurd. If you can't live with that, you can voice your opinion or just leave.

Upvote 0
This idea the dev's dont care and dont listen is very wrong of the many games i've played over the years these are some of the very few who do actual listen and care what is writen in the forums and they do take our views into account in the making of their games. But this idea that they have to make what we want excluding all others is wrong that's Dictatorship you will do it this way.

Now that said if they took every single thing that someone said - then it would be HIS game they made and not theirs. At the end of the day a game is like every thing in life it's a compermise of some kind or another.

Ok there may be slight evidence for some of the inclusions but there is evidence - and balance is important tbh probaly the most import thing in a game - how many times have you seen a map empty because some are one sided or veryone wanting to be on one side because it got the beter weapons

the fact that servers will have the option to turn many of the things that are disputed proves the dev's listen to us - if they didn't they'd be locked as they are in many games.

We're gunna get what we get - just be possative till you get chance to try it and give the benifit of the doubt

Upvote 0
Wings of Prey MMO, WWIIONLINE, D-day 1944, il2, Invasion 1944 Arma2 mod, Rise of Flight, Liberation '44 and Darkest Hour.

IL2,ROF are both excellent flight sims but they do not cater to any fps needs. Anyway , you do realize how buggy and unpolished these titles were when they were first released do you? IL2 was nothing like it is today and neither was RoF but they've grown a lot and with excellent dev-support they've turned them into great sims. These things doesn't come on a conveyor-belt and they're extremely rare, hence why folks should appreciate and take care of these products.

As for the mods you've listed, sure but like i said.. you won't find a new developer coming along and catering to your needs anytime soon. Sorry to break it to ya but Ro2 is a one of a kind jewel and if you don't realize that then maybe just maybe you need to open your eyes to the current state of PC gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, what I said was that game developers tend to make games that they like and think is cool. They don't have to take orders from the community, that's just absurd. If you can't live with that, you can voice your opinion or just leave.

The Darkest Hour team mentions in their recent Q&A [CLICK HERE] with the 29th that they read their forums religiously and take all suggestions seriously. It seems to be a win-win situation for them and their community with their development ethos.

As for the mods you've listed, sure but like i said.. you won't find a new developer coming along and catering to your needs anytime soon. Sorry to break it to ya but Ro2 is a one of a kind jewel and if you don't realize that then maybe just maybe you need to open your eyes to the current state of PC gaming.

The Project Reality team is feeding a demand for more tactical realism. Gaijin Entertainment got rid of Starforce DRM because of community input. Darkest Hour fixed the game breaking feature of pixel hunting. Arma, way too many good things to mention without getting a tl;dr. You should know this, Heady89, you are on the simHQ forums with me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arma2:OA is NOT un-atmospheric imo!!! Atleast with great realistic mods, it's one of the few that I do almost feel that I'm IN a warzone.
This absolutely. Almost all of my best gaming experiences have come from the ArmA (And Original OFp), and IL-2. Open world gameplay is ****ing brilliant when things happen that feel like a scripted single-player experience, but you KNOW it's not.

Upvote 0
The Darkest Hour team mentions in their recent Q&A [CLICK HERE] with the 29th that they read their forums religiously and take all suggestions seriously. It seems to be a win-win situation for them and their community with their development ethos.

And I'm sure you have noticed that TWI reads these forums too and take suggestions very seriously.
What irks me is that even though TWI has said that the weapons will be in game no matter what, people go "omg this is going to be cod clone, this will suck ***" even though they haven't even played the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
I'd actually say it's the reason the grenades are useless, half of the maps which are in dire need of axing or redesigning are still intact, and we have a ton of new content rather than something as simple as consistency in the weapons. That's not to say the DH team is doing a poor job, but it certainly says that the community should not have the final say in what gets done. Last time I read the forums there was a resounding demand that the Super Pershing be added to the mod because that would somehow balance independent mapmakers putting King Tigers in maps they shouldn't be in, that vehicles should be repairable and wrecks salvageable like in Men of War or ArmA 2, and all sorts of hilariously misguided "realistic" modifications be made. I distinctly remember one suggestion that infantry be unable to effectively use their opposite numbers' weaponry, even basic rifles, because "they aren't familiar with it"... when anyone with any experience will tell you right away that a rifle is a rifle is a rifle and it seldom takes more than a few minutes to work out what does what.

The DH community, just like most gamers these days, wants lots of shiny new content added rather than a well-polished, exceptional product. Most devs have caved in to this and so have many mod teams, providing games that are mediocre at everything but good at nothing. That is the LAST thing I want to see happen to RO.

As it is, Tripwire implemented pretty much every single sensible suggestion made over the years and did so well. Not many devs care as much as they do and you should be bloody grateful for it.

If you really get so stirred up about soldiers not conforming to your perception of what they should look like (and I'm fairly sure you weren't around in 1942 to see for yourself) and rare experimental weapons seeing very occasional use in the game (once again, in the exact environment any sensible military would want to send such weapons for evaluation, regardless of whether anyone here can pull out a photo of those weapons in the hands of troops on the banks of the Volga or not), then I really don't know what to say. I am usually the first person to start complaining about a lack of realism, but I see absolutely nothing wrong here. Feel welcome to find another game to play though, I'll be enjoying HoS.

Upvote 0

TWI obviously does the same if not even more, besides comparing a mod vs a retail product isn't fair in any sensible mind.

Upvote 0
If you don't like the rare weapons then play on a server without them.

Sorry, but this is not entirely accurate, there is a reason why some of us keep mentioning the PPSh, and it is because TWI flubbed on their research, and are including a rare late 1944 model of the weapon as the standard barebones Russian SMG.

We may be able to to disable the AVT, MKb and 40/II, but the PPSh is the standard Russian SMG, so when it's wrong (and there is no way a late 1944 weapon could have appeared in a 42/43 battle), that seriously detracts from the immersion factor to thouse of us who can tell the difference.

I don't care if they got the shape of that German head-sock precisely right, atleast it existed even if the model may not be perfect, and i can ignore the high level hero unlocks, because they can be disabled.
But when they get the standard issue hardware wrong, the ones that can't just be removed from the game, then i have a problem with it, and would like to see it addressed.

Upvote 0
You gotta love this community..People who have not even played the game complaining about weapons they will hardly see or use...lol

These weapons have no impact on the overall game what so ever..

The way you and your team mates play is the only influence..

Giving a man an uber gun does make him an uber soldier, giving a group of men a elite guns does not make them elite..

It's how they implement tactics and initiate combat that defines status.

Get over it..Or on the other hand simply don't buy the game and play a round turn combat sim instead that will fulfill your uncontrolable need for absolute accuracy.

Hey you could even dress up in a replica of an authentic uniform while you played or like one one my members play totally naked to get "in tune" with the feel of ones true self..

Meanwhile in the real world the rest of us will be rocking our socks off playing the best shooter of 2011...lol

Reactions: Hobitt
Upvote 0