• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Preview @ PCGamer

In the Panzer IV, it's 4 positions controlled by up to 3 human players. What we saw in the video was John showing the position changing that's necessary when the rest of the crew is killed. When your crew is still alive, one player "hot-swaps" between the warm bodies instantly. I hope TWI changes their mind on this, as having a dedicated commander was a real asset to the German tanks for situational awareness. Maybe they figure it'll be a boring role to play, but I say make it optional.
But that's a huge disadvantage for German tanks...

If you commander gets killed you'll always have to change position manually to be able to look through the cupola or out of the hatch. This basically turns the advantage the Germans have with a 5-man tank into a disadvantage.

Upvote 0
Oohh, yeah I was in your boat. I thought they were doing that this time around, with the commander there mainly to spot targets and figure out where to go. They have that position for vehicles in ARMA2, but he usually also gets to use a mounted machine gun :p

There are clearly 5 people in the tank though, is one player just going to head-hop between commander and gunner?

Upvote 0
So, as I understand it this is going to be quite a bit of a disadvantage for German tanks, if the commander gets killed.

Disadvantage only compared to a fully manned tank. The T-34/76 starts off like that. The commander/gunner has to switch himself. I'm pretty sure the T-34 didn't have a cupola (at least for the pre 1943 models). So for Soviets, the gunner/commander will have to pop the hatch to get a decent view. That's got to take some time.

Upvote 0
Could there possibly be a mutator to allow there to be a designated "commander" role though?

This would be very important. And not as mutator, but as an inbuild server option.

Playing as commander would not be boring. Allthough every man is important in his role, commander is afterall the most important guy in the tank. And I would gladly play as designated commander. With a good crew and everybody doing their job, fully manned panzer ( driver, gunner, radio-operator, commander, AI loader) would be very intense experience.

Upvote 0
But that's a huge disadvantage for German tanks...

If you commander gets killed you'll always have to change position manually to be able to look through the cupola or out of the hatch. This basically turns the advantage the Germans have with a 5-man tank into a disadvantage.

Im confused, if the AI commander dies then it would be the same as a human dieing (animation to swap) so how is it worse for a human player to die?

This would be very important. And not as mutator, but as an inbuild server option.

Playing as commander would not be boring. Allthough every man is important in his role, commander is afterall the most important guy in the tank. And I would gladly play as designated commander......

I very much agree, many people seem to think it would be boring but if you don't want to do it then don't.

also if the gunner dies you would think the commander could swap to his seat faster and them all positions that require operation would still be crewed. but really why should it even need to be an option, if when you wanted to join the tank and saw it had 3 people in it then you could just choose not to get in (this is if you dont want to play commander or mgunner)

For me i think it would be great to have 4 friends in a tank atleast in coop.

Upvote 0
So do I understand this correctly: a tank crewman can never leave a tank, after entering it, because people did a shot, then left the tank, then entering again? Was this such an issue in the game? I have never seen that, but I must admit I have the game only since one year and I am a casual gamer. In real life I would abandon a tank, which is crippled. So in this game I can only "leave" the tank when it is shot and terminated?

Upvote 0
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
So do I understand this correctly: a tank crewman can never leave a tank, after entering it, because people did a shot, then left the tank, then entering again? Was this such an issue in the game? I have never seen that, but I must admit I have the game only since one year and I am a casual gamer. In real life I would abandon a tank, which is crippled. So in this game I can only "leave" the tank when it is shot and terminated?

you can scuttle it too, but it was designed to prevent stuff like what I did in ogledow or barashka, where I could dive out of a tank right as the shell hit, epic-leap-with-explosion-behind-me :troll: and then hide behind whatever wall I was working behind, or similar to the example given in the ogrimir interview, where eg someone gets out on blackdayjuly in the cap and you have to find this one guy in about 10 acres of indestructible wheat :eek:

Upvote 0