• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2:HoS Fact Thread

Hmm, the only problem I have with this is Steam started recording time spent in-game long after RO was released. While according to xfire I spent 700+ hours in RO, Steam only has my last 60 hours on record... :(

I'm not sure if they plan on doing it or exactly how. It's something they are considering. It would be nice for loyal long time RO players to get some credit.

Upvote 0
Hmm, the only problem I have with this is Steam started recording time spent in-game long after RO was released. While according to xfire I spent 700+ hours in RO, Steam only has my last 60 hours on record... :(

Same here. I played a lot of RO in the past but for some reason Steam says I've only played for 30 hours...which is ridiculous (I've been playing the game since launch). I'm wondering if this number gets reset every so often or something.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro mentioned in IRC something in the Crosshairs podcast about bullet stabilization. I have no idea what that is (because I am not a gun owner), since I wasn't able to listen to the cast, but it sounded like a pretty cool new feature.

In Wilsonam / Alan's post, he mentions 4 types of tank fires / cook-offs that will be modeled in ROHOS.

Wilsonam said:
1. Fuel fire - in diesel tanks, hard to ignite the diesel and it burns slowly. Gas/petrol tanks will burn more easily, may leading to an explosion if there is a good fuel-air mix in the fuel tanks.

2. Internal fire cooking off ammo 1: that Panther shows the jets of flame related to the propellant in AP rounds cooking off. While there is plenty of it, propellant burns - it doesn't explode. It is designed to burn the whole period of time that the projectile is travelling up the gun barrel, to provide roughly constant acceleration during the interior ballistics section. One round may burn, igniting others around it - burns very hot and very lethal, may generate enough sudden pressure to pop hatches but not much more.

3. Internal fire cooking off ammo 2: MG ammo ignites and starts to cook off - "firing" MG rounds all over the place, both internally and externally.

4. Internal fire cooking off ammo 3: HE projectiles cook off. This is the HE in the warheads, not the propellant. Called "high explosive" as it goes off as near-instantly as possible, for maximum instant damage. When this happens you see the tank erupt, turret fly, etc. I've seen film of the turret flying off the tank, the turret roof separating and flying etc. The most catastrophic destruction.

None of these things are "instant". In some cases they can be pretty damn quick - high-velocity projectile melting and punching super-heated metal directly into contact with live rounds, or a HEAT plasma jet doing the same. Mostly it requires a fire to start in the wrong place - in an ammo bin or in very close proximity. Many ammo bins were at least partly protected from fire as a safey measure.

And will these explosions be modelled? Yup.

:eek: :IS2: :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro mentioned in IRC something in the Crosshairs podcast about bullet stabilization. I have no idea what that is (because I am not a gun owner), since I wasn't able to listen to the cast, but it sounded like a pretty cool new feature.

In Wilsonam / Alan's post, he mentions 4 types of tank fires / cook-offs that will be modeled in ROHOS.

:eek: :IS2: :eek:
Actually, I talked about the different types of explosions - I meant "Yes" to the OP question in that thread - that catastrophic destruction will be modelled. Dunno if we can be bothered to differentiate between all the different ways!

Reactions: husbert
Upvote 0
Actually, I talked about the different types of explosions - I meant "Yes" to the OP question in that thread - that catastrophic destruction will be modelled. Dunno if we can be bothered to differentiate between all the different ways!

Too late! No backsies!!! You have to do it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
Same here. I played a lot of RO in the past but for some reason Steam says I've only played for 30 hours...which is ridiculous (I've been playing the game since launch). I'm wondering if this number gets reset every so often or something.

I don't believe it gets reset. Mine is up to 2018.6 and I've gotten new PC's, reloaded steam etc. I know others who have a lot more than that.

Upvote 0

They added total hour tracking in March 2009 (IIRC) and I am not sure if Steam tracks your hours if you're not logged in the community section.

Upvote 0
Finally got to listen to the Crosshairs cast

Here's a few of new/confirmed things:

1) Planned 3 voicechat channels - all team, squad, and vehicle
- this should alleviate the issue with grenade and enemy spotted warnings people have with the lack of 3D VoIP

2) Penetration will depend on the material being hit

3) Plans to model entry and exit wounds

4) Throw grenades from cover (blind fire?)

5) Suppression system will include affects on breathing, and hence aiming

6) Suppression system will desaturate (already mentioned) your view. I would think this will make target acquisition tougher, as your targets will blend into the background more - less contrast.

7) Grenade prep may take longer than in ROOST

8) Ability to choose spawn points, or spawn on SL. Looks like you must respawn at home or one of the spawn points to change roles / kit

9) Teamplay points for killing enemy reinforcements on way to objectives

10) Planned to have tank AI crew members be ordered to target specific tanks, or "fire at will."

11) Mortars, artillery, rockets take longer the larger the caliber and larger spread

12) Work on a training / gun range map with achievements

Wow, lots of new info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) Planned 3 voicechat channels - all team, squad, and vehicle
- this should alleviate the issue with grenade and enemy spotted warnings people have with the lack of 3D VoIP

Personally I don't see how it does that. As you at least need directional audio to know if someone is left or right of you. And you need to have some sort of an indication how far someone is away from you.

Squad Team and Vehicle voip is nice. But 3d abilities with the voice brings directional awareness in a sense they could be added to any channel. In a tank you wont have issues. But as infantry you could be a few hundred meters apart in a squad.

Like the story with the wolf if you get too many false positives on grenade warnings you stop listening to it.

Upvote 0

Yup, i've been playing RO since 2006, and stopped around the time steam started to track gameplay time... now i just play a couple of hours a week, if I'm home. But there's an error in steam, there are too few gameplay hours anyway

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I don't see how it does that. As you at least need directional audio to know if someone is left or right of you. And you need to have some sort of an indication how far someone is away from you.

Squad Team and Vehicle voip is nice. But 3d abilities with the voice brings directional awareness in a sense they could be added to any channel. In a tank you wont have issues. But as infantry you could be a few hundred meters apart in a squad.

Like the story with the wolf if you get too many false positives on grenade warnings you stop listening to it.

True, not as good for that as 3D VoIP, but a whole lot better than all team, like we have in ROOST. I'd listen up for a grenade warning more if I know only 3 people on the channel are the intended audience, rather than 31.

I think the issue is also from a development point of view. They're using SteamWorks for the voicechat, which should make it a LOT easier to setup games with friends / clans, as it functions outside the game, like TS. I would think 3D VoIP would have to use the built in voice coms of UE3, which probably wouldn't work with SteamWorks, or at least not easily. So it's probably one or the other, and TWI went with SteamWorks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finally got to listen to the Crosshairs cast

Here's a few of new/confirmed things:

7) Grenade prep may take longer than in ROOST
You did say maybe, but you also have to remember the Sam is coming from a CoD background where one simply presses G to literally launch a grenade. In RO:OST, we manually removed the cap from the German grenade. He found that unique and commented on the action. It is old hat to RO:OST players.

Upvote 0