• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will HoS present the netcode disadvantages of UE3?

Can we please stop sourcing bc2 as a good example of netcode? It's easily one of the worst coded console port shooters on the market. Only in BC2 can 4 slugs return blood shots with 0 registrations. BC2 is designed around a relatively high ping of 100. Anyone too low ping or too high ping will register terribly. The hit boxes are the size of king kong but lag so far behind, as a competitive player we trained ourselves to aim behind targets running. Only in BC2 can you run into a house, make it all the way up a flight of stairs, and then suddenly die, realizing your character died outside.

Please please stop talking about BC2 in a good light, before I vomit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A bit of a proposal (directed at Ramm-Jaegar). It is somewhat complicated and abstract, but it could be a suitable solution. I'm not up to snuff on net code since I'm not a coder at all, and only have a very rudimentary understanding of the premises behind it, but here it goes anyways:

Why not have it so Bolt Action and Semi Automatic rifles have client side predictions, whereas MGs, and SMGs use server-side? Even with a poor ping, I find that I have little difficulty firing an SMG at a target because generally the volume of fire is enough to compensate for having to over-lead a target. generally when you fire a 3-4 shot burst at a moving target, 1-2 of those shots is likely to hit in a circumstance where you have 150 ping or above.

Now, RIFLES on the other hand, you only have one shot to make at a moving target, and when you have to deal with a .2 -.5 second time delay between your shot, and when the projectile is physically calculated and released, it can easily make the difference between hitting or missing a moving target. Your reasoning for disliking client-side prediction is that there will be cone of fire discrepancies between client and server, and that's understandable; but the bolt action and semi automatic rifles have a very tight cone of fire, and I think you'd see a pretty minimal number of discrepancies under those circumstances because the differences between random calculations with tiny degree variables would be negligible. Basically it doesn't matter if there's a .002 degree difference in the trajectory of the round between server and client, since its highly unlikely that .002 degrees would make a difference when shooting at a human-sized target between the ranges of 1-800 meters.

As I said, it's acceptable to have automatic weapons calculated server-side, as you are generally laying down a much larger volume of fire, and in that volume of fire it's crucial for the shots to have fidelity between client and server, otherwise you wind up seeing lots of "false positives." The slight projectile delay does not factor into automatic weapons as significantly as it does for bolt-action and semi-automatic weapons.

NOW, how you'd have split client-side/server-side calculations for different weapons; I don't know. I'm not even sure if that's possible (but then again I dont know anything about the process of coding)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You would be suprised how ****e people their connection is. even if they have a solid pipe they often have a firewall/virus scanner that first needs to check what they upload (can give huge ping delays) or 10.000 pieces of spyware leeching of the system.
Oh man, +100 to this. Every single case of helping users with connection issues / lag issues where they were absolutely convinced "it must be this game, all the others run fine" has turned out to be some environmental / router issue.

I produced <EDIT:link removed. It appears this is considered advertising, sorry.> to provide a brain-dump of my experiences with such things.

W/R to firewalls, A/V, peer-blockers, etc. (which again, many 'patients' were convinced could not possibly be a problem), I run a dedicated 'gaming installation' where nothing gets in the way:<EDIT:link removed. It appears this is considered advertising, sorry.>

An overview of lag causes for interested readers can be found at<EDIT:link removed. It appears this is considered advertising, sorry.> (research on the upcoming part 2, detailing remedies such as lag compensation, is ongoing.)

Heck if adding a justin bieber or david hasselhoff simulator to the game would bring in more people I would be in for it. As long as I'm not forced to play it.
Only if they're used as practice targets for the firing-squad training section :p

Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It came from my FPS experience, all with same system setting, minimum firewall/ AV interference.

In crysis 2 mp even when I am playing in ping around 230ms, if I shoot bullet to target 3 meters away, the bullet makes holes as soon as I pull the trigger.

Yet, RO1, RO2, by default, if I fire a bullet to target 3 meters away and am playing in server of 230ms, the bullet makes impact about 3 quarter second later.

This was what made RO1 almost unplayable for me as there was no local servers around.

Not knowlegeable about code exactly but, RO1, 2 seem to have RELATIVELY worse hit detection than crysis 2 pc mp which btw had relatively better ping optimization.

You shouldn't only rely on the code itself, but need to look into the relative test results also.

Upvote 0
It came from my FPS experience, all with same system setting, minimum firewall/ AV interference.

In crysis 2 mp even when I am playing in ping around 230ms, if I shoot bullet to target 3 meters away, the bullet makes holes as soon as I pull the trigger.

Yet, RO1, RO2, by default, if I fire a bullet to target 3 meters away and am playing in server of 230ms, the bullet makes impact about 3 quarter second later.

This was what made RO1 almost unplayable for me as there was no local servers around.

Not knowlegeable about code exactly but, RO1, 2 seem to have RELATIVELY worse hit detection than crysis 2 pc mp which btw had relatively better ping optimization.

You shouldn't only rely on the code itself, but need to look into the relative test results also.

Its been always like that for me! But I got used to it.

I used to play RO1 with pings 150-200 pretty well. Had to compensate but life is not perfect....

But in RO2 my pings rarelly goes under 200 mark. And I can still play and keep my score top 5 usually.

I gues we have to adapt and overcome those kind of issues if we really like the game. And keep rooting for TWI, to somehow resolve this ping issue.

Upvote 0
I used to play RO1 with pings 150-200 pretty well. Had to compensate but life is not perfect....

But in RO2 my pings rarelly goes under 200 mark. And I can still play and keep my score top 5 usually.

I gues we have to adapt and overcome those kind of issues if we really like the game. And keep rooting for TWI, to somehow resolve this ping issue.[/QUOTE]

well, nothing in current market does realistic WW2 shooter better than this maybe forever.;
But it would be great if TWI can make it...better optimization as much as possible...
single shot rifle is darn hard to hit distant targets in hi ping server;;

Last edited:
Upvote 0