• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will HoS present the netcode disadvantages of UE3?

A video of a broken implementation doesn't show why ping compensation is rubbish. A badly implemented system will always be bad. You can clearly see in that video that the ping used for the lag compensation doesn't match up with the actual ping delay from player to server. Of course the system won't work correctly then.

That's like saying that bullet drop is rubbish by showing a game where the gravity vector is coincidently pointing upwards instead of downwards. That simply means that the implementation is broken. Or like looking for the word apple under the letter B in the dictionary.

You keep arguing for lag compensation, but why? RO's netcode already works great without it. So why fix what isn't broken?

Upvote 0
You keep arguing for lag compensation, but why? RO's netcode already works great without it. So why fix what isn't broken?

Because under certain scenarios it can improve the enjoyability of the game. For instance with coop hosted on people their own computers (pings of 100-200ms aren't rare there). Or for instance when meeting up with people you know from forums from all over the world.

Reactions: LemoN
Upvote 0
There has been an epic conversation about this in a server today.Most of the people want lag compensation :rolleyes:, but it's true that it could be a server issue, since I test my ping with http://www.pingtest.net/ in a UK server and I get 40 ms, I enter a Ro server in the UK and I get 90-100 ms?

The ping in RO takes into account process time by the server (so not only net travel). Beside the game sends UDP packets of 10KB/s a generic ICMP ping command uses a lot less bandwidth. So that is the reason for seeing different pings in a server than when manually pinging a server.

they can't fix a problem that is introduced by improper usage. if you want peer to peer hosting, use lan, don't use the internet connection.

Lan or local area network is only local, what if you want to play co-op with someone that is in a different city or country. A lot of people won't pay for a dedicated server, for co-op the ability to play on your own server with just your friends is important. And the cheapest way to achieve that is let a player host a server himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because under certain scenarios it can improve the enjoyability of the game. For instance with coop hosted on people their own computers (pings of 100-200ms aren't rare there). Or for instance when meeting up with people you know from forums from all over the world.

Yeah well, anyone who wants to play the game with his friend on the other side of the world / ocean can expect a bad ping. That's just the way it is and no amount of "lag compensation" can fix that. Those 20 people who want to do that will just have to live with that. Just stick to servers that are close by and deal with a bad ping if you're playing with dudes that live on the other side of the ocean. Hell, when I played in BFE:RO (American server) many years ago, the game was still very playable.

And if you have a decent connection, hosting a game shouldn't be a problem either. I regularly host Raven Shield sessions and my buddies get a good ping, and that's with my not-so-great connection. Alright, RO2 is probably a more demanding game but it's still not worth implementing IMO. Too much work for too little gain (no gain at all in fact, only downsides :D).

Upvote 0
Yeah well, anyone who wants to play the game with his friend on the other side of the world / ocean can expect a bad ping.

And if you have a decent connection, hosting a game shouldn't be a problem either. I regularly host Raven Shield sessions and my buddies get a good ping, and that's with my not-so-great connection. Alright, RO2 is probably a more demanding game but it's still not worth implementing IMO. Too much work for too little gain (no gain at all in fact, only downsides :D).

Of course you will always have bad ping, the difference is that you can still hit things. If lag compensation is correctly added to the game the only disadvantage beside some additional server stress is as Ramm said that you can get killed past the corner. Of course if the system is not implemented correctly it would be better without it.

You would be suprised how ****e people their connection is. even if they have a solid pipe they often have a firewall/virus scanner that first needs to check what they upload (can give huge ping delays) or 10.000 pieces of spyware leeching of the system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You would be suprised how ****e people their connection is. even if they have a solid pipe they often have a firewall/virus scanner that first needs to check what they upload (can give huge ping delays) or 10.000 pieces of spyware leeching of the system.

Not the game's fault.

Maybe we should add a little aiming helper as well, I mean come on, some people might be not as good as others and they should not have a disadvantage because of that.

Dead horse. Stop beating it. It is not going to happen :).

Upvote 0
Not the game's fault.

Maybe we should add a little aiming helper as well, I mean come on, some people might be not as good as others and they should not have a disadvantage because of that.

Dead horse. Stop beating it. It is not going to happen :).

Sure its not the games fault that loads of people screw up their computers, just as it isn't KillingsFloors fault that Thompson routers by default screw up the ability to play KillingFloor. But in the end I doubt any consumer cares whose fault something is as long as the game runs. Heck how many times have we all heard the comment game X,Y runs good on my system so it must be RO/Killingfloor that is broken. It would be great if people would end up saying at the support forums for other games that HOS runs good on their system so that the other games must be broken.

Adding a form of auto aim wouldn't be something I would be against as long as servers would be able to turn it off. If it means that someone with a gamepad can be converted to a pc gamer that way I'd fully support it. Even if they won't play with me on the same server the more people playing the game the more people will know of the game and end up talking of the game. In the end a win situation for me as that leads to more clans to play around with.

I know lag compensation won't happen which is why I put alternative suggestions in the ideas and suggestions thread, and never started a thread about lag compensation on my own. But the reason that I continue this discussion and always join in on new threads is that while there are some disadvantages with ping compensation, there are some clear advantages as well. But mainly there is a lot of false prejudice around lag compensation that I would like to see gone.

Lag compensation is not made out of only doom and gloom as some people make it seem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Adding a form of auto aim wouldn't be something I would be against as long as servers would be able to turn it off. If it means that someone with a gamepad can be converted to a pc gamer that way I'd fully support it.

No offense but you just put the last nail in the coffin of your dead horse.

Upvote 0
The key here is options for me. If some addition to the game brings in new people, while not affecting me during game play. Then I'm OK with it and wouldn't care less if it would be there or not. It never bothered me being there with UT2004 (never tried if it actually worked though) as no on-line server allowed the usage of it anyway.

I wouldn't ever play on a server that allows auto aim, just as I'll probably never bother with things such as perks and achievements. As long as some feature brings in more people that end up spreading the word about RO without affecting my game I'll be happy, as more people joining eventually means more people joining the realistic realism side of things.

Heck if adding a justin bieber or david hasselhoff simulator to the game would bring in more people I would be in for it. As long as I'm not forced to play it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The major problem with Lag compensation/Anti-Lag, is the hax-cusations that start flying around. I server admin and constantly get Player X is a haxor, he killed Me THROUGH a rock/Tree/blade of grass...and it is extremely hard to convince these people about Anti-Lag, Without getting "Bullsh!t, Kick Him, ban Him...He's a hack".
A lot of gamers don't know about Anti-Lag and are too lazy even to find out about it...much easier to call someone a hax instead.
Then because I won't Kick player X...I'm a hax and a bad Admin to boot:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The major problem with Lag compensation/Anti-Lag, is the hax-cusations that start flying around. I server admin and constantly get Player X is a haxor, he killed Me THROUGH a rock/Tree/blade of grass...and it is extremely hard to convince these people about Anti-Lag, Without getting "Bullsh!t, Kick Him, ban Him...He's a hack".
A lot of gamers don't know about Anti-Lag and are too lazy even to find out about it...much easier to call someone a hax instead.
Then because I won't Kick player X...I'm a hax and a bad Admin to boot:rolleyes:
This happens in every source game and nobody thinks that it's a hack.When this happened to me in the past I blamed the connection, the game, but not the guy that killed me.

Upvote 0
You need to understand that while exposure is good, the quality of one's audience is also just as good.

You know what happens to franchises that pander to everyone for the sake of money.

I hardly think including a lag compensation option to improve matters for those not as fortunate as the rest of us with their internet connection/geographical location is pandering to everyone for the sake of money.

It would be of no benefit to me, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't want any lag compensation at all, completely support ramm and the RO team here, god do i hate how BC2 behaves , its awful and unplayable and could never be a decent experience nor grow in e-sport due to its flawed netcode with lag compensation.

I am sick of getting killed around corners.. not to mention how abnormaly high the BC2 ping is overall compared to Quake and Unreal.

Upvote 0
any game will have hax accusations, the key is a good player base, great anti hack scripts and a competent moderator. Lag compensation is the way to go, as dreadful as some of you make it out to be, it is better than clearly shooting an enemy, being killed and then, as you fall down dead, seeing your bullet hit the wall... surely.

And god dammnit zets stop presenting so many good arguments, i can only give you +1 so many times :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brozex
Upvote 0