• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamescon gossip.

152mm arty round vs. aerial bomb: a 152mm HE round carries around 45Kg of explosive. a 500Kg bomb carries, well, about 500Kg. That is a huge difference! 82mm mortar rounds carry about 3.5Kg of explosive...

You're overestimating the amount of explosive filler by a HUGE margin.

45 Kg may be the total weight of a 152 shell, but of that only about 5-10 Kg MAX will be explosive filler. Similarly, a 500Kg bomb should only have 200-300 Kg of explosive filler ... the rest of it is the cast iron / cast steel casing ... For example, a US Mk83 1000lb (454 kg) bomb only has ~450 lbs of explosives.

Edit: I see someone else beat me to it. I should have read the whole thread before responding ... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're overestimating the amount of explosive filler by a HUGE margin.

45 Kg may be the total weight of a 152 shell, but of that only about 5-10 Kg MAX will be explosive filler. Similarly, a 500Kg bomb should only have 200-300 Kg of explosive filler ... the rest of it is the cast iron / cast steel casing ... For example, a US Mk83 1000lb (454 kg) bomb only has ~450 lbs of explosives.

Edit: I see someone else beat me to it. I should have read the whole thread before responding ... :p
I posted this in a different thread:

Depends which type of shell.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-82_rocket

A HE or Fragmentation shell probably couldn't take out a tank. The standard katyusha (132mm) only had 0,9kg of explosives, the 82mm variant only 0.36kg.

BUT they all could fire shaped charges, but seeing as the russians weren't exactly great with shaped charges I'd probably guess that their penetration wasn't above 100mm. I also din't think that the Russians used those in aerial bombardments, but on planes such as the IL2.

Overall I think that normal 105 or 150mm arty would have better chances at taking out Tanks, due to the greater payload, thicker walls and overall weight of the projectile.

:IS2:

Upvote 0