• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radar on RO HOS - Big Error of Tripware

Morm said:
arguably harder than aiming a rifle in real life

So not true, but how would we know.. Since you said arguably, I'll argue it's harder to aim a real rifle than it is to tilt your head around until the leaf is in line on your screen.. No more laser beam instagib games of pop-goes-the-rifleman. The pace would probably be a bit different; who knows, maybe a certain level of suppression could spontaneously appear due to having to aim first instead of having laser accuracy every single shot. It'd make HoS the first FPS to be more than just point and click. It could also sell a bunch of Track-IR's.

I guess I imagine T-IR to be so much more than free-look. Free-look alone is basically an expensive feature that doesnt change an FPS game at all. Pilot games sure, but being able to look around while not moving in an FPS.. whoop-dee-doo :rolleyes:. I can already look everywhere without moving as it is. We need things like being able to look around corners with just our head, aiming your gun, head gestures like nodding, shaking 'no', or motioning that other players can see, and yes.. free-look - all using T-IR. Be the first to do it! NaturalPoint will love you :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope there will be enough filled servers with features switched off like deathmessages and enemy presence indicators etc. cause these are the informations you don't get in real life. However some of the features like minimap/radar (which I quite like) that you also don't have in real life are actually realistic cause it tells you where you friendly players are and like Ramm Jaeger said this makes teamplay easier and it's something that if in order to have that cooporation between squad leader and players on a public server it's important to have it as communication in RL is much easier than in a game.
I'm happy to hear though those peripheral indicators probably will be in realism mode but no stuff like DTM, cap bar etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope there will be enough filled servers with features switched off like deathmessages and enemy presence indicators etc.c.

Ramm said the radar wont show the enemy presence even if you can actually see them, not even in "relaxed realism" so stop worrying.

This "Relaxed realism" version will still be more realistic than playing current RO:OST, as its basically the same, but with more features that RO lacked.

I'm pretty convinced that each time I'll load this game and get in a server is gonna be a total surprise (in terms of settings), but still enjoyable anyway (be it one way or another)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No no what I meant by saying enemy presence indicators as those cap bars, I know that radar won't show you the enemy..

ok, those in the cap bar, I would even take them out of the relaxed realism version, but Ram didn't mention anything about that.

Don't know if its gonna be final. but in the worst case scenario, at least is not gonna be worse than RO:Ost. While its not perfect, its still a game we all here love.

Upvote 0
We need things like being able to look around corners with just our head, aiming your gun, head gestures like nodding, shaking 'no', or motioning that other players can see, and yes.. free-look - all using T-IR. Be the first to do it! NaturalPoint will love you :)

This would be so awesome and it would add buckets to the immersion!

Upvote 0
Free-looking with the head to lean to one side, to look over or under an object, or to shake and nod could all be made possible while still using the mouse, by programming these extensions to effect while depressing the rt. mouse button for instance (like with mouse zooming). In this way all players could take advantage of these abilities, not just the owners of additional hardware.

Take a clue from the once dominate flight sim genre which now is just a niche segment compared to FPS games. Additional hardware doesn't mean additional players......core accessibility does.

Upvote 0
Currently the peripheral action indicators only show up for enemies. We initially had it popping up for both and we found it really annoying, and actually unrealistic. I think some people here have a misconception about what the peripheral action indicators indicate. Some of you are envisioning that it represents only the extreme edges of your real world peripheral vision. This is not how it works. It represents an entire 100 degrees of your real world vision. In-game standard FOV is about 80 degrees on a widescreen monitor and real world FOV is about 180 degrees thus 180-80= 100, the 100 degrees that you don't see on the screen.

So try a little experiment here. Stick you arms out in front of the screen in front of you and grab the left side of the screen with your left hand, and the right sides of your screen with your right hand (this gets your head at a fixed distance from the screen). Now while keeping your head centered in front of your monitor at this distance, see how many things you can spot on your desk without turning your head, or turning your eyes. If you are like me (with a lot of junk on your desk) you probably see a coke can, a set of headphones, a couple of CDs or DVDs, some computer speakers, and more. All of this stuff you see outside the edge of your computer monitor is the 100 degrees of FOV our peripheral action indicator represents. If I can see a coke can outside the edge of the computer screen, I sure as heck should see an enemy just outside of the 80 degrees of FOV represented by the computer monitor.

And as we've previously mentioned, the indicators are smaller and almost unnoticeable if an enemy is far away. So you actually have to be paying close attention to your ACTUAL peripheral vision to notice the peripheral indicators. If that is not realistic, I don't know what is :)

Upvote 0
A detailer explanation here

Yes, but have you considered the situation when you're focused on something right in front of you, like shooting at enemies in the distance, and then you see "something" approaching you from the right. You panic for a millisecond, before you turn your head and see that it's a friendly.

You won't have such a situation if the system shows only emenies.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be great if what you see with your peripheral vision indicators is movement, any movment.
When the target is far away and far to the left/right it is grey and almost invisible. When the target get closer to you and to the region in front of you - it becomes more opaque and gains a color which indicates either a friendly or an enemy.

Upvote 0
Yes, but have you considered the situation when you're focused on something right in front of you, like shooting at enemies in the distance, and then you see "something" approaching you from the right. You panic for a millisecond, before you turn your head and see that it's a friendly.

You won't have such a situation if the system shows only emenies.

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be great if what you see with your peripheral vision indicators is movement, any movment.
When the target is far away and far to the left/right it is grey and almost invisible. When the target get closer to you and to the region in front of you - it becomes more opaque and gains a color which indicates either a friendly or an enemy.

That's the key, these situtations are not available with a "radar" or something. even with the answers and arguments of the thread I'm not still agreeing with this "radar".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So try a little experiment here. Stick you arms out in front of the screen in front of you and grab the left side of the screen with your left hand, and the right sides of your screen with your right hand (this gets your head at a fixed distance from the screen). Now while keeping your head centered in front of your monitor at this distance, see how many things you can spot on your desk without turning your head, or turning your eyes. If you are like me (with a lot of junk on your desk) you probably see a coke can, a set of headphones, a couple of CDs or DVDs, some computer speakers, and more.
O.K....all I can see is 10 bottles of extremely excellent German Beer....And they all blurry...Does this count:D....O.K now it's 12 and I'm lying on the floor:cool::eek::D:D

Upvote 0