• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radar on RO HOS - Big Error of Tripware

There is only one sort of realism

margraten_2.jpg

My 2 cents on the realism discussion.

Upvote 0
So let me get this straight. If you have most of the current/past RO community playing Realism mode, about a million new guys playing Relaxed Realism and possibly moving on to Realism mode, and then a smaller subset of the community playing "Whatever the heck they call realism" mode, then what is the problem? :)

Really, it sounds like one of the big complaints is "we want all these new guys to come in from less realistic games and play super hardcore mode with us". Well sorry, they probably won't do that. But if you break them in right, starting out with Relaxed Realism, then some of them will crave something more and move onto Realism mode, and then even some of those may want to play on the super hardcore servers. You have to break them in gently so you can convert them to RO style gaming.

And as with any community, the cream of the servers will rise to the top. Servers that are well adminned and run the gameplay configuration that their community of players want to play, will generally be full. Those that don't will be empty.

Upvote 0
And as with any community, the cream of the servers will rise to the top. Servers that are well adminned and run the gameplay configuration that their community of players want to play, will generally be full. Those that don't will be empty.

What does this say about 24/7 Danzig servers being full?

But seriously, enough people will want to play Hardcore, there will be enough populated servers.

Upvote 0
It means people really liked Danzig as much as the people on the forums like to hate it. There is a world beyond the forums :p And we as developers have to keep that in mind.

That's what I was afraid of...

You see, that's the problem with people who aren't me. They tend to disagree with me. What the hell?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there is the flock sheep syndrome as well :p. Danzig is one of the best maps in RO, especially to get a quick fix of RO. Meaning its easier to get filled up, and people prefer to join servers with people on it so even the Danzig haters will join Danzig as its Danzig or nothing for them. But people that would like play some of the other great maps from time to time are nearly forced to join European servers.

At some point people will join a server regardless on whether its what they prefer or whatever. But purely because they know it will fill up. But that only gets to be an issue in the ending game of a game. And a small community coming together getting fed up with a single server can change whatever server is the most popular one.

Back in the mod for instance DBDUK had the most popular European server, and Cor/Cia had the most popular American server.

DBDUK had a server mutator so that the player with the highest score in that server would get kicked out when a DBDUK player joined. Next to that players with a clan tag were often randomly kicked if DBDUK members lost a round or were killed by them.

Next to that as a big chunk of the DBDUK members at some point left DBDUK and formed Core in order to play games against other clans instead of only play on public servers. DBDUK kicked all Core members off the server by default.

As a result a small group of the community created a different server with more serverslots than DBDUK and created a rule set that made server visitors equal in rights to the actual owners of the server. So that everybody would have the same chance of enjoying the game, as there were only enough players for 1 filled up server.

- Everybody is allowed to express their opinions even against Admins as long as they wouldn't throw out insults.
- No player would ever be kicked under any circumstance to free up a slot for any of the paying members for the server.
- Players were allowed to vote themselves what maps they wanted to play.
- Clans were allowed to recruit on the server as long as they wouldn't spam or annoy any visitors in the server (no need to impose recruiting rules when there is only one server you can play on).
- Regular players were given moderation privileges to keep the team killers out.
- Logging of players guids, player scores and chat information, so accused team killers could be banned with proof of the act even in the rare occasion that no Admin was present during the act.

(initially there was only one server which doubled as a match server but later on with support from the community itself a second server could be rented so the public server could continue running uninterrupted).

The bigger player amounts (32 vs 24) and the support of people that were fed up getting kicked out of the only European server and due to DBDUK enjoying to kick players out. Quickly changed that this server took over to be the most popular and only 24/7 filled up server in the last year of the Red Orchestra mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So let me get this straight. If you have most of the current/past RO community playing Realism mode, about a million new guys playing Relaxed Realism and possibly moving on to Realism mode, and then a smaller subset of the community playing "Whatever the heck they call realism" mode, then what is the problem? :)

Really, it sounds like one of the big complaints is "we want all these new guys to come in from less realistic games and play super hardcore mode with us". Well sorry, they probably won't do that. But if you break them in right, starting out with Relaxed Realism, then some of them will crave something more and move onto Realism mode, and then even some of those may want to play on the super hardcore servers. You have to break them in gently so you can convert them to RO style gaming.

This. (Especially the last paragraph.) After all, the server owners are paying for the servers. It will be nice to be able to tweak things within the game ( ie without having to run custom mutators) to one's liking. Build it and they will come....;)

Once the player base grows large enough, there will be fun for everyone.

Upvote 0
Ramm said:
Finally there will be Custom mode. Custom mode will be whatever the server admin wants. If the server admin wants to go insano crazy "visual realism" or hardcore realism all the way up to relaxed realism they'll be able to turn off/on pretty much anything we have an option for.

Good news right there.

Off topic - Any word on further Track IR development for HoS? (think.. mouse = front gun sight / Track IR headset = rear gun sight)

Upvote 0
Good news right there.
Off topic - Any word on further Track IR development for HoS? (think.. mouse = front gun sight / Track IR headset = rear gun sight)

Wouldn't such a trackIR development put TrackIR users at a great disadvantage over non TrackIR users? I think its a cool idea, but I doubt anyone would use it in a multi player game :p.

Upvote 0
Zets said:
Wouldn't such a trackIR development put TrackIR users at a great disadvantage over non TrackIR users?

Yeah, it would.. if you mixed them together. Such a development could be a server-side setting ala custom mode. For example, you cant join the server if you dont have the proper Track IR setup.. or the game simply wont work right if you do join a Track IR enabled server without having the proper gear installed.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say - all of us insane competitive types would just die for such a feature. The personal satisfaction of hitting an enemy several hundred yards away whilst doing the actual aiming yourself would be huge to say the least. It hasnt been done in any other game, so TWI would again be breaking new ground... offering something no one else can claim to be doing. I bet it would catch on, and in turn be the norm in FPS's going forward.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it would.. if you mixed them together. Such a development could be a server-side setting ala custom mode. For example, you cant join the server if you dont have the proper Track IR setup.. or the game simply wont work right if you do join a Track IR enabled server without having the proper gear installed.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say - all of us insane competitive types would just die for such a feature. The personal satisfaction of hitting an enemy several hundred yards away whilst doing the actual aiming yourself would be huge to say the least. It hasnt been done in any other game, so TWI would again be breaking new ground... offering something no one else can claim to be doing. I bet it would catch on, and in turn be the norm in FPS's going forward.

It would be nice to see, although the attach rate of trackir devices is probably pretty low.

Anyway for at least solo play it could be pretty interesting. Especially if Natal will get supported with ROHOS down the line which would probably be a bit cheaper and reach a bigger audience. Its an implementation that definitely sounds fun, although it will have a hard time reaching a big audience atm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, at first there wouldnt be a ton of players with Track-IR.. but, like most people, I look at this from my own perspective in that I would never buy something like Track-IR at all if the only thing game makers do with it is to give you the ability to look left and right without turning your body.. I mean, big deal, right? Who cares to spend that kind of money if thats all it does for you..

I think something like Track-IR aiming would really shine in multiplayer. Guys who play these games want to show off their skills.. and what better way to feed that need than to give them something with actual difficulty, something where practice would pay off. It would certainly be alot more effective to that end than say - corny achievements, or lame badges etc. Track-IR aiming would most definately attract those hardcore types to HoS.. it may be slow at first, but it's all gotta start somewhere :) If TWI doesnt do it, someone else will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3) Peripheral indicators - some people have mentioned taking issue with peripheral indicators being in the middle of their screen. The peripheral indicators are NEVER in the middle of your screen, but rather are only ever on the very edge. They represent the view outside the edges or your screen, which represents the 50% of your normal real world FOV that the computer screen doesn't render. They are only there to show you that there is some sort of threat outside what the screen could render, but what you could see in real life. They are pretty subtle, and scale down with distance, so if a threat is far away, then the icon on the edge of your screen is tiny. They are so subtle in fact, that most people miss them when they first play the game. Some even miss them after you point them out. You basically have to kind of train yourself to pay attention to them.

Does that mean it only appears for enemies or differentiates between allies and enemies?

Upvote 0
You have to break them in gently so you can convert them to RO style gaming.

Having a good tutorial to begin with could already eliminate some of the most basic questions and wtf-level expressions that would pop up when jumping into bit more realistic game. IL-2 is quite funny example of a game that lacks any real tutorial in the first place and only way to actually try things out is either to start a campaign or play a single mission, there is no real tutorial or training mode simply to try X or Y :p

Even though then comes the obvious question how many of people would actually bother with it? Knowing that people refuses to read manuals - despite the fact they often can save you from tons of headaches and questions - I wonder if that's the case with tutorials aswell.

Upvote 0