• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radar on RO HOS - Big Error of Tripware

I've been playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 since it came out weeks ago, and I must say I like the idea of spotting enemies (by centering your screen on them and pushing a key) so your teamates can see them on their minimap for a couple of seconds.

Now that I'm back playing RO, I really miss this feature. It compensates for the situation awereness and communication that can't be replicated faithfully in a game.

VOIP and text chat are not the best way to inform your teamates about enemy movements. Especially if you speak different languages.

Upvote 0
I could only see that feature working in the way that your character points at the enemy with his hand.

Just because someone says the enemy is over there won't make everybody spot it automatically.

If anything, they see your character pointing at some direction, they follow where your hand is pointing(if they want to), and maybe, then just maybe, they'll see the enemy, with their own means

Reactions: Alexei and Pectus
Upvote 0
Now that I'm back playing RO, I really miss this feature. It compensates for the situation awereness and communication that can't be replicated faithfully in a game.

It's nice feature on paper, but practically once you get the hang of it you can just look at random directions and spam it and still 'spot' a target even without really having proper visual contact - especially snipers in BC2. Now in RO any potential hiding place for a sniper\MG in RO, just look around, use the feature and suddenly you can mark every defender on map with ease for everyone to see.

Upvote 0
It's nice feature on paper, but practically once you get the hang of it you can just look at random directions and spam it and still 'spot' a target even without really having proper visual contact - especially snipers in BC2. Now in RO any potential hiding place for a sniper\MG in RO, just look around, use the feature and suddenly you can mark every defender on map with ease for everyone to see.

I don't care I would love to have this in RO :p. With pointing out at the enemy with just your hand wouldn't be as effective as in RL therefore those features are important to simulate this hand stuff.
Remember it's just a game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, the BF system is not the perfect one.
I suggested that earlier and I'll say once more. You can have the same orange diamond appear on the screen whenever you hold a key. The difference is that it doesnt stick to your enemy, but it rather moves to the place you're pointing. There's already a similar thing which works for telling your troops where to go and where to take cover.
It's just a 3d indicator which works as a mouse cursor on the terrain, it moves with your mouse and is visible only while you hold a key down.

This could be really useful not only to point out enemies, as you can point out places and just random things. It could work for example for situations when an enemy is hiding round a corner and your teammate doesn't know about it, you can pinpoint the corner with this indicator and tell your teammate that there's someone hiding in there.

Upvote 0
I find that BCBF2's "hey, you've got some enemy infantry in your area" live audio cue helps compensates for the lack of the game's SA, and BF2 is recognized to have some of the best in-game sound that's been engineered for a shooter yet.

When terrain and cover gets modeled more densely in today's games, the resulting environmental sounds of traversing this terrain hardly ever conveys the appropriate noise of movement.

What we get in games now is the swooshing of branches or the crackle of footsteps. None of this does a realistic job of conveying actual movement noise in the least.

So as far as a game mechanics to compensate for the failings of platform audio, I like the idea of additional cues, whether it's the ones planned here for HEROES, or methods used by other games.

Upvote 0
That feature is fkin annoying dude !
That spotting system on BFBC2 is just a SPAM FEST of click and spot buttons ! It adds nothing to the game besides an AUTHORIZED WALL HACK :mad:

You can't spam the spotting feature in BC2, after 2 or 3 "fake" spots, the feature is disabled for a couple of seconds.

In the context of RO, maybe spotting could only work with classes that have binocs; snipers, squad leaders and tankers.

Upvote 0
Before we all get worried, these may be selectable options to have on or off dependant on server setting as some of the stuff in other post that people were worring about is gunna be.

Even if there not till you see how there implemented, we cant tell if there a good or bad thing, wait till we see a full beta and hear feedback from beta testers.

Fingers crossed some of the new stuff sounds like it may be real state of the art addatives, so i'm taking the positive view that it's all good till we actaully hear from real players that these things are not good.

Upvote 0
You can have the same orange diamond appear on the screen whenever you hold a key. The difference is that it doesnt stick to your enemy, but it rather moves to the place you're pointing. There's already a similar thing which works for telling your troops where to go and where to take cover.
It's just a 3d indicator which works as a mouse cursor on the terrain, it moves with your mouse and is visible only while you hold a key down.

This could be really useful not only to point out enemies, as you can point out places and just random things. It could work for example for situations when an enemy is hiding round a corner and your teammate doesn't know about it, you can pinpoint the corner with this indicator and tell your teammate that there's someone hiding in there.

What you are saying is very good. The only problems are:

You can get "old intel" that will confuse you (i.e. the marker will remain even if the enemy has already been taken out)

You may not be able to mark where the enemy is (i.e. if he runs into a building and you are outside, you have no way of marking the inside)

You may get too many markers and you may not have enough time to mark in CQB.

My suggestion is: implement an automatic spotting feature like in old AA. If the enemy is clearly in your FOV, a 3d marker immediately communicates his position to players only within a certain locality. But then again.. most people want less hud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really like the idea of having a key to press that makes your character point and call out the enemy, but that's it, no magic icons or anything.

No. This can be used as an exploit. A key that makes character point is fine only if it works every time you press the key, and not only when enemy is actually present where you point. Otherwise you can zoom around a forest, spamming the "point at enemy"-key and when your character points you'll know there's an enemy hiding somewhere in the forest. This behaviour happened all the time in BFBC2.

Upvote 0
You know what? this could be REALLY useful! it will stop you shooting someone you hear running around the corner, because you think he is an enemy! and, tbqh, I often lose track of where everyone is, and everyone runs off in different directions; I think it may also build more strategy, as you can cover people, watch their flanks, or take the flank no one else is taking.

Upvote 0
I prefer the radar if I am honest. We can always use the excuse of 'realism', but at some point, one needs to compromise.

Creating a compromise IS NOT a win-win situation for the community or the COD FPS gamer. Why? Thy wont get all the things they want in the game and we'll have to sacrifice playing a game with elements we DO NOT like. Then it will become some bastardized product that no one will really like.

Look at OFP: DR. It was designed to be a game for the console player, casual gamer, OFP vet and realism community. In the end, no segment got a game they wanted. Look at how that game turned from most anticipated game of 2009 to a game Consolemasters ended support like three months later because of poor sales and reviews.

If we do compromise, what kind of statement does that send? It says that TWI wants to be RO: COD. That it no longer sets the bar but has to copy COD in order to succeed.

tl;dr: I don't like the radar thingy; it needs to be taken out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uurastaja and Apos
Upvote 0
actually there is a post in the forums, from Ramm i believe, who clarified that the "radar" has to do with friendlies-only and is part of the morale feature that is being added and doesn't involved enemies at all. i hope that's indeed what it's like. ;)

to my knowledge they removed the map and put something else instead. atleast that what i though ti heard in one of the videos. :D

if the map only showed allies or literally just be a map with objectives and stuff then id be fine simple in realism id immagine it wouldn't be there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0