• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will RO:HOS come with 64-bit support?

I do believe that UE3 at least supports 64bit..I really do hope that a 64bit version is included and even more so on the server side.

From the UE wikipedia

"The latest release is the Unreal Engine 3, which is designed around Microsoft's DirectX 9 technology for 32/64-bit Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 and Xbox 360 platforms, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 for 32/64-bit Windows Vista/Windows 7, and OpenGL for 32/64-bit Linux, Mac OS X and PlayStation 3."

Source:[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine[/URL]

And this is an extract from an interview with Tom Sweeny of Epic in 2008.

PCGH: Do UT 3 gamers profit from a 64 Bit environment? Will there be a 64 Bit version? What are the advantages of the 64 Bit version? Are there any differences as far as visuals or performance is concerned?

Tim Sweeney: We're testing Unreal Tournament 3 with Windows Vista 64-bit to assure compatibility, but we're planning to wait for the OS and application base to mature before doing anything further to really exploit 64-bit.

We were the first developer to port to the 64-bit environment back in 2004, with 64-bit Windows XP and Unreal Tournament 2004. We were very eager to embrace Windows Vista 64-bit also, and hoped to have moved all of our development machines over to it by now. Unfortunately, the software and driver compatibility still isn't quite there. The base OS is very stable, and it's a joy to work with in isolation. But, then, you need to print something, or run Max or Maya along with a collection of third-party plug-ins, and it all unravels. I'm sure the issues will be worked out with service packs and app updates within the Windows Vista generation, as machines with 4-8GB are finally becoming economical, and could be mainstream in the next 12 months.

Source: [url]http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,602522/Exclusive-Interview-with-Epics-Tim-Sweeny-on-Unreal-Engine-3-and-UT-3/News/[/URL]

Upvote 0
PCGH: Do UT 3 gamers profit from a 64 Bit environment? Will there be a 64 Bit version? What are the advantages of the 64 Bit version? Are there any differences as far as visuals or performance is concerned?

Tim Sweeney: We're testing Unreal Tournament 3 with Windows Vista 64-bit to assure compatibility, but we're planning to wait for the OS and application base to mature before doing anything further to really exploit 64-bit.

And as far as I know that 64bit version has never been released. As I said it works and is compatible on 64bit operation systems, but its running in 32 bit mode then.

Upvote 0
And as far as I know that 64bit version has never been released. As I said it works and is compatible on 64bit operation systems, but its running in 32 bit mode then.

To be honest that's an interview from 2008 so i'm not sure whether they have released that 64bit version in one of the many UE3 updates since then.

Perhaps one of the Devs can tell us?

Either way it would help to know just how much support a 64bit version of RoHos would receive.. if any?

Upvote 0
I can't 100% confirm it, but the game should be able to run in native 64 bit mode when it is released. All the core engine stuff works fine in 64 bit, the only thing that would prevent it would be if there was a middleware we integrated with the game that we couldn't get 64bit working for.

wow...way cool if that really goes down like that. but not if that pushes the date out to 2012. ;)

Upvote 0
I can't 100% confirm it, but the game should be able to run in native 64 bit mode when it is released. All the core engine stuff works fine in 64 bit, the only thing that would prevent it would be if there was a middleware we integrated with the game that we couldn't get 64bit working for.

Would Steam qualify as 'middleware that you can't get 64-bit working for?'

Upvote 0

Now that is way cool...RoHos running in 64bit..Jesus the servers are gonna be fantastic if the serverside runs in native 64bit...

This news has made my day..:D

Upvote 0
(uberbump)

sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but currently the game runs as 32-bit exe and i'm curious what got in the way of making RO2 a native 64bit application.

wasn't there any benefit of making it 64-bit, not enough time for QA or a middleware that wasn't compatible with 64-bit?

anyway, after the last big patch the game runs rather smooth and is really a lot of fun, so thanks for an awesome game Tripwire :)

Upvote 0
(uberbump)

sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but currently the game runs as 32-bit exe and i'm curious what got in the way of making RO2 a native 64bit application.

wasn't there any benefit of making it 64-bit, not enough time for QA or a middleware that wasn't compatible with 64-bit?

anyway, after the last big patch the game runs rather smooth and is really a lot of fun, so thanks for an awesome game Tripwire :)

The majority of these increases happen on the server side where it does a LOT of mathematical based operations.
Afaik, and I am somewhat rusty on the CPU stuff, that was a few years ago for me already. If you compile a 32 bit application into 64 bit lots of the operations that can be done concurrently are done so in the ALU ( op 1 in the first 32 bits, op 2 in the second 32 bits ). Kinda a double bang to the buck thing that should increase performance a decent ammount, especially with the server end of this game struggeling as it is already.

Upvote 0
thx colt, so servers could maybe see a performanceboost if TWI implents a 64-bit executable, interesting.

There is a 64bit folder included with ROGame.exe in it. I wonder if they anticipate adding support for 64bit at some point.

I always wondered about that.

really? where is it located?
in my common\red orchestra 2\binaries\ directory i only see two folders, "Win32" and "windows" with "windows" containing four files:

-"pbsvc_hos.exe"
-"UE3Redist.exe"
-"WindowsTools.ddl"
-"WindowsTools_x64.dll"

Upvote 0