• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will we see from RO:HoS at GamesCom 2009?

Once again, about the radar, read Ramm's post- he talks about how this was the best way they could find to model a sense of awareness and peripheral vision.

I read his post. By looking at the bottom right of the screen at some icon I think you're losing battlefield awareness and sacrificing immersion. Maybe I'll like it but I doubt it.

I like the two different game modes relaxed realism and realism. Thats a perfectly fine way of getting and keeping new players.

And stfu about the graphics. The game looks great already and just needs a toning down of some of UE3's more overdone effects. What really matters is the models and textures and like always Tripwire is far beyond the competition. These postprocessing effects are the afterthought so give them some time. Plus I really dont get the whole Crysis comparison. Tone down the bloom, add some AA and the new RO is on par or better than anything out there. And this is from a small company.

EDIT: Oh and whats the point of getting indications of where bullets are passing you? How much, if at all, will that help the player in combat? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's just that some of us disagree with that. If I see my teammates moving into the room next to me, or if I hear them firing their guns in there, I don't need a radar that tells me what I already know. It's redundant and unnecessary, especially in a game like RO.

Same thing goes for the hit- and almost-hit detection, I have never had a problem locating gunshots in RO:O. And even if you get in a situation where you don't know where the shots are coming from, isn't that fun (challenging) and realistic?

By the way, just now I read about the magazine check function, I like that. I wonder if it's possible to visually model the amount of rounds left in the magazine?

How would you see that? Would you sit down and start taking the rounds out of the magazine of your MP-40 or something? Or do you mean that the rounds would be at a certain depth depending on how many you had fired? That wouldn't be very effective.

Upvote 0
How would you see that? Would you sit down and start taking the rounds out of the magazine of your MP-40 or something? Or do you mean that the rounds would be at a certain depth depending on how many you had fired? That wouldn't be very effective.

Some modern magazines have small holes on the back side through which you can see the cartridges. This allows to determine the approximate ammount of rounds you have.

Upvote 0
Some modern magazines have small holes on the back side through which you can see the cartridges. This allows to determine the approximate ammount of rounds you have.

MP-40 mag:

mp40.jpg

Yeah, good luck with that one.

Upvote 0
I didn't want to say anything until i had seen this game running. I have been checking the forums and i have had concerns myself but after watching the Gamescom videos i really think this game is going to be great. What has caught my eye the most is how the 'stiffness' from RO has been smoothed out. The deployment system looks amazing, i also like the way you can back off the MG without having to click the deploy command.

HoS is still Red Orchestra, it looks and sounds like Red Orchestra only refined. I don't think any of the new features are dumbed down, in fact i think this will end up more hardcore than Ostfront. It seems TW have worked on features that take away some of the arcade gameplay suffered with the original. Take for example the free aim iron sights and breathing. This will be sure to prevent pop up rifling and quick shooting. I have played RO in clan matches for long enough to know all the filthy tricks, and as a result the experience is often far from realistic in this environment. The damage system in HoS should address some of the silliness experienced in Ostfront. There has been times where i have sprayed an enemy and hit each one of their arms and legs only for them to turn around and shoot me once in the face. If the bleed out system existed before, surely they would have died? Instead the enemy re-takes his position and carries on as normal. That could be a critical position that re-enforces the opponents victory. Bandaging and taking the time to aim and shoot is going to slow the pace down a little.

The only noob features i can see are just relating to the HUD. So someone is capping an objective and you get a message on screen, fine but i regularly check the overhead map and can tell if someone is capping an objective anyway. I can see this pissing some people off but it is insignificant as you can turn this feature off on your server along with all the other nooby HUD features. To me it seems TW are making this game for the fans of RO, for you guys and they are giving you the option to scale it as you wish. None of the stuff is enforced and most importantly; none of it is made for the asshole who thinks the revolution in multiplayer gaming started on the Xbox 360. As confirmed by Ramm this is a PC game through and through. It has a mouse driven interface and the textures are high res. It looks like a PC game, it sounds and smells like a PC game and so its a step in the right direction. For once a developer is doing something right recently and i support them 110%.

While i can't speak for everyone in the community and however insignificant our clan may be, i will say this; fullmj WILL be adopting this game.

Upvote 0
I like a lot of what I see, but don't like some things.

What I don't like:

1) The "lock down" feature. The front lines should be determined by the teams and players, not by a timer. If a team is doing a good job defending and holding their position, then good for them. The only way the other team should be able to break through is by using tactics and coordination. I feel this feature may ruin some of the team play knowing that eventually you will break through their defense no matter what. Unless I completely misunderstood what he was saying...

2) The mantling looks too quick and CoD-ish. Needs to be done slower. ArmA 2 did it right. I hope it is slowed down and made more like ArmA 2.

3) Movement looked quicker than it did in RO Ost, and seems a bit too quick overall.

4) The blind firing is annoying. Yes, you can do it in real life, but how many properly trained soldiers actually do this? Probably very few. I think it will be over used too much in game.

5) The player snaps in and out of blind firing too quick, and the weapon's free aim seems to move around a bit too quickly.

6) There is an icon that appears in the center lower portion of the screen. It should be moved somewhere else.

7) The radar thing. It looks like a radar thing. If it is one, I would hate to see it and want it removed.

8) The artificial zoom when he was in iron sights.

9) Hit direction detection. Just noticed this. Please... remove it.

Otherwise, it is looking pretty good. The issues above can easily be fixed or tweaked, so this looks very promising to me. Finally, there is a tactical shooter to look forward to aside from the ArmA series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's just that some of us disagree with that. If I seehear them firing their guns in there, I don't need a radar that tells me what I already know. It's redundant and unnecessary, especially in a game like RO.

Same thing goes for the hit- and almost-hit detection, I have never had a problem locating gunshots in RO:O. And even if you get in a situation where you don't know where the shots are coming from, isn't that fun (challenging) and realistic?
my teammates moving into the room next to me, or if I
By the way, just now I read about the magazine check function, I like that. I wonder if it's possible to visually model the amount of rounds left in the magazine?

I completely agree with the part in bold. Really, you can see or hear your team members if they are near by. At least this should be a user option to turn off.

The hit and almost hit detection are awful ideas. You can tell the direction of the enemy by the noise, or sometimes muzzle flash. If you can't, well, that happens a lot of times in real life. Sometimes you just can't tell where that shot came from.

With this system, you automatically and always know where the enemy's location is. At times it will unrealistically give away someones postion. What is the point of finding a good position, leaning out to make a quick shot, ducking back behind cover, if they will find you anyways?

Sometimes me and some players are holding an area, but get over run and everyone else gets killed but me. The enemy team thinks we are all dead, but I am alive. When they stop and set up a position, I'll pop a shot off and hit one of them, but they won't have an idea that I am in the area they thought they already cleared. I will keep doing this until I die. But, with this new system, they will be able to artificially detect me, which will kill the gameplay.

Really, this is a bad decision, and hope it gets scrapped. A server side option won't be good enough either. I don't want to shift through servers looking for one that has this feature turned off.

And I do think this is a big deal and do count it as dumbing down the gameplay. I think most RO fans would agree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like a lot of what I see, but don't like some things.

What I don't like:

1) The "lock down" feature. The front lines should be determined by the teams and players, not by a timer. If a team is doing a good job defending and holding their position, then good for them. The only way the other team should be able to break through is by using tactics and coordination. I feel this feature may ruin some of the team play knowing that eventually you will break through their defense no matter what. Unless I completely misunderstood what he was saying...

2) The mantling looks too quick and CoD-ish. Needs to be done slower. ArmA 2 did it right. I hope it is slowed down and made more like ArmA 2.

3) Movement looked quicker than it did in RO Ost, and seems a bit too quick overall.

4) The blind firing is annoying. Yes, you can do it in real life, but how many properly trained soldiers actually do this? Probably very few. I think it will be over used too much in game.

5) The player snaps in and out of blind firing too quick, and the weapon's free aim seems to move around a bit too quickly.

6) There is an icon that appears in the center lower portion of the screen. It should be moved somewhere else.

7) The radar thing. It looks like a radar thing. If it is one, I would hate to see it and want it removed.

8) The artificial zoom when he was in iron sights.

9) Hit direction detection. Just noticed this. Please... remove it.

Otherwise, it is looking pretty good. The issues above can easily be fixed or tweaked, so this looks very promising to me. Finally, there is a tactical shooter to look forward to aside from the ArmA series.

What? Lock down is where if, the defending team holds the attacking team long enough at one point, they win the round there and then. As for blind firing, so what? It's used, and it is hardly improbable or impossible. The more options the player has, the better. Besides, it's not like you can see anything you're shooting at, so it's not a cheat. The zoom was already discussed, but I agree that direction detection is bad as it is- it should be something less obvious, just a slight hint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This game looks absolutely fantastic.

TW, please consider releasing a HD HQ video of footage asap so that people don't get their first impression of the game from these tiny youtube videos even if I think they are great as is.

It would be awesome to see you complete one objective even as single player in HD just so I could show it around Australia to get everyone salivating for the release in 2010.

Upvote 0
This game looks absolutely fantastic.

TW, please consider releasing a HD HQ video of footage asap so that people don't get their first impression of the game from these tiny youtube videos even if I think they are great as is.

It would be awesome to see you complete one objective even as single player in HD just so I could show it around Australia to get everyone salivating for the release in 2010.

Isn't it releasing in 2011?

Upvote 0
It looked pretty good, they just need to improvement on things like the animations and AI but of course it's an alpha. I think maybe the movement looked a little too fast, the guns looked like they needed more recoil. Idk if I'm too crazy about blind firing but perhaps it was done as Soviet soldiers did not have the best training.

Upvote 0
Just so you know, the player movement speed is actually based on testing we did with one of the TWI devs running at different speeds with a PPSH in his hands ;) He's not a particularly fast runner or olympic sprinter or anything, and he could move at the exact speed the player moves in game.
did he also appear in the distance to be 2X smaller than usual when he stopped running :D ?

on a more serious note, the fact that the engine doubles the perspective, should create the impression that you are running twice as fast than you really are. but i think you added a sprint zoom aswell, wich should lessen this effect. nevertheless remove the zoom pleazors!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What? Lock down is where if, the defending team holds the attacking team long enough at one point, they win the round there and then. As for blind firing, so what? It's used, and it is hardly improbable or impossible. The more options the player has, the better. Besides, it's not like you can see anything you're shooting at, so it's not a cheat. The zoom was already discussed, but I agree that direction detection is bad as it is- it should be something less obvious, just a slight hint.

I stand corrected on the Lock Down part. I still think it is lame.

I've seen teams break through and win in the final moments. I've played many games where one team was just getting killed for 70% of the game, but then break through and almost capture all the objectives, but were just 20 or so seconds too short to capture the last one.

It made for some tense moments.

As for blind firing, I think it is a terrible addition because it will be over used. Sometimes giving more freedom makes for less realistic or sensible gameplay.

And it looks horrible as it is. You can snap in and out of it so quick. It should take a second or two to put you weapon up.

I don't want this to turn into all those other games where everyone is blind firing like a retard who has never touched a firearm in the life.

Not everyone has to act like this:
gangsta%201.JPG

gangsta%202.JPG

gangsta%2013.JPG

A comment on the last pic: He could have put the stock to his head to make himself look even more retarded.

Just so you know, the player movement speed is actually based on testing we did with one of the TWI devs running at different speeds with a PPSH in his hands ;) He's not a particularly fast runner or olympic sprinter or anything, and he could move at the exact speed the player moves in game.

But was he wearing all the other equipment and as much ammo and magazines as the soldiers in game carry?

Last edited:
Upvote 0