• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will we see from RO:HoS at GamesCom 2009?

agreed 100%

appart from that im happy to see how similar it is to RO ost, at moments i thought we were in stalingrad kessel. it does feel less revolutionary then i was starting to think it would be.
some things feel improved like:
-mantling (although i hope in the end you wont just mantle over while keeping your gun in both hands)
-mg improvements
-blind fire
-you can apparently select a position in a squad

other things i didn't appreciate as much:
-aim-zoom! it's the first thing you notice in the movie, but it's the last thing i would have expected. not in RO :(
-AI is obviously not quite there yet lol.
-hit direction detection :(
-tactical view, ammo indicator?
-radar hud

Aim zoom is, I believe, to represent the fact that when you have iron-sights to your eye, your are focusing. All your attention is going to that sight. Since you can't focus on any particular part of the screen, this is the closest you can get to focusing.

Upvote 0
Aim zoom is, I believe, to represent the fact that when you have iron-sights to your eye, your are focusing. All your attention is going to that sight. Since you can't focus on any particular part of the screen, this is the closest you can get to focusing.

not quite, as ramm explained; game engines give you a false perspective. everything becomes smaller 2x faster than in real life. probably so that more can be sqeezed into your monitor screen, otherwise your view would be too narrow and you would have a terrible sense of environmental awareness.

when the game "zoomz" it in fact gives you the vision you should have in the first place, but as mentioned it is too narrow and tunnely to have it stay like that.

edit, when i come to think of it, when you aim, you close one eye. just close one eye and see what it does to you vision... you see less wide. maybe theres a way to do something with that.
having a more narrow vision when you are aiming appears not to be unrealistic, but it's the zoom-effect that still bothers me

Last edited:
Upvote 0
not quite, as ramm explained; game engines give you a false perspective. everything becomes smaller 2x faster than in real life. probably so that more can be sqeezed into your monitor screen, otherwise your view would be too narrow and you would have a terrible sense of environmental awareness.

when the game "zoomz" it in fact gives you the vision you should have in the first place, but as mentioned it is too narrow and tunnely to have it stay like that.

Yeah, I didn't see Ramm's post before I posted.

Upvote 0
For Ramm.

cookiesjpg.jpg

:D:D:D

Upvote 0
RO-Berlin= The most awesomest bestest mappest evar! :cool:

Oh Btw:

Great- advanced hit detection, weapon collision, MG deployment, cover system
Good- mantling, bleeding out, improved AI, blind fire

fail- players run too fast, tunnel ironsights, ammo indicator
absolute fail- radar

Divided by zero- being told where you've been hit from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are my thoughts. TWI, you know I love you guys but I have to be honest.

• Radar showing where teammates are - come on TWI, this really doesn't belong in RO. I hope this will be removed from the game.
  • Hit direction detection and incoming hit detection - same. I understand that in real life you'd know where you are hit, or where the shot is coming from, but I have no problem doing this in RO either. In RO:OST you have to hear where the shots are coming from and if you wear a decent headset, this is not difficult at all. Again, I hope this won't make release, even if it's optional or dependent on difficulty level. It just doesn't belong in RO imo. If anything, give the player sound feedback instead of HUD indication.
  • Current objective indicator - not too sure about this. It doesn't decrease realism because you can see that on the overhead map too, but I do think it's too big. It should be twice as small. I would like to see a slider in the menus that allows you to scale the HUD.
  • Sprinting speed is a bit too fast to my liking. RO:OST sprinting speed was perfect. Why not just give the player twice as much stamina? I'd much rather see that. Also, when beginning to sprint, the screen "warps" a little bit (like the Photoshop radial blur effect), not a fan of that.
  • Aim zoom - I understand the reasoning behind that decision. I'd rather not have it but it's not a big deal.
  • Dirty / worn environment - it's a little bit exaggerated here and there (yes I know it's Stalingrad), it would be good to tweak that down a little bit.
  • Weapon stays in place when mantling. A nice animation to go with the mantling would be cool.
Other than that... looks good.:) Some of the new features are really cool. I've always wanted mantling in the game, as well as a better squad command system. Blind firing and weapon collision looks cool, too. AI obviously needs work but it's Alpha.

I really hope RO:HOS will have bigger maps with long engagement ranges. Again, I refer to EvilHobo's hueg Berlin map. :) Fallen Heroes is a good example too. Speaking of the maps, the level design is really good! Can't wait to see the others.

Upvote 0
Totally agreed with Nimsky

Insted of adding radar, current objective indicator add tutorial in single player how to use normal map from RO! Most players just don't know how to use real map and where to go (even with marked player position and direction). In real world on battlefield they were lost or dead, here you add hud elements to help them and make game arcadish - wrong.

Upvote 0
RO-Berlin= The most awesomest bestest mappest evar! :cool:

Oh Btw:

Great- advanced hit detection, weapon collision, MG deployment, cover system
Good- mantling, bleeding out, improved AI, blind fire

fail- players run too fast, tunnel ironsights, ammo indicator
absolute fail- radar

Divided by zero- being told where you've been hit from.

Go read Ramm's post please.

Upvote 0
I think, for once, I'm actually pleased with just about all the changes that have been made.

And for all those that think the objective marker is arcade: it's no more arcade than knowing the entire layout of the battlefield because you've fought over it countless dozens of times before. It simply serves to provide information that new players won't have until they've played on the map several times and which the vets will have from their own experience, as well as making it clearer what orders have been given (which can only be a good thing).

Upvote 0
while I'm grateful to have seen some video of the presentation, I can understand why TW would prefer to not having something like this shown to the general public b/c people are jumping to conclusions about what might or might not be in the final product or what should be changed even though it's still alpha stage.

Upvote 0
+ New weapon/movement/gamemode/squad featues

- Fluff GUI elements

I love the tactical view idea but its not being fully utilized if you still have a radar icon which shouldn't exist to begin with.

The bullet sensing indications are going to get annoying really quick as well as the damage indicators.

Graphics and missing features/animations cannot be critiqued until much later down the road. This isn't a complaint but this doesn't look ready for anything closer than fall 2010.

Overall the game looks like it has a solid gameplay base that is getting marred by poor presentation and very poor GUI decisions.

Edit: I should clarify poor presentation as being the look of the GUI and menus (although I understand this is is subject to change) as well as the title's name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+ New weapon/movement/gamemode/squad featues

- Fluff GUI elements

I love the tactical view idea but its not being fully utilized if you still have a radar icon which shouldn't exist to begin with.

The bullet sensing indications are going to get annoying really quick as well as the damage indicators.

Graphics and missing features/animations cannot be critiqued until much later down the road. This isn't a complaint but this doesn't look ready for anything closer than fall 2010.

Overall the game looks like it has a solid gameplay base that is getting marred by poor presentation and very poor GUI decisions.

Edit: I should clarify poor presentation as being the look of the GUI and menus (although I understand this is is subject to change) as well as the title's name.

Once again, about the radar, read Ramm's post- he talks about how this was the best way they could find to model a sense of awareness and peripheral vision.

Upvote 0
Once again, about the radar, read Ramm's post- he talks about how this was the best way they could find to model a sense of awareness and peripheral vision.

It's just that some of us disagree with that. If I see my teammates moving into the room next to me, or if I hear them firing their guns in there, I don't need a radar that tells me what I already know. It's redundant and unnecessary, especially in a game like RO.

Same thing goes for the hit- and almost-hit detection, I have never had a problem locating gunshots in RO:O. And even if you get in a situation where you don't know where the shots are coming from, isn't that fun (challenging) and realistic?

By the way, just now I read about the magazine check function, I like that. I wonder if it's possible to visually model the amount of rounds left in the magazine?

Upvote 0