• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will we see from RO:HoS at GamesCom 2009?

Omg CoD!! how the hell is a compass going to help squad awareness? (which is why thee "radar" is about)

It shouldn't help too much.

so... not being crysis makes the game look horrible?, right

not to mention that the theme is more rich and visually appealing, a panoramic view of a tropical island will look better than stalingrad anyway

not to mention that Crysis is a game that I've played 6 hours, I've played RO with its "oh so horrible graphics" for 4 years

You are being just too unfair here

oh, and... the texture of those rocks look quite low res =P

Crysis was developed in 2007 - almost 3 years ago and it still have best graphics! I think they can do at least similar graphics in 2010...

Upvote 0
Crysis was developed in 2007 - almost 3 years ago and it still have best graphics! I think they can do at least similar graphics in 2010...
You are obviously missing a point here. RO is about realism and tactical gameplay, graphic is secondary factor. Plus I really hope that RO2 wount look like crysis with it's cartonlike graphics and overdone colors.

Upvote 0
Text

7) Bullet whiz indicators - these don't show up just anytime someone is shooting at you, the bullets have to pass very close to you. In real life, you could both hear the gun fire, and hear the general direction a bullet whizzes by you from. In game this can be somewhat represented with sound if you have 5.1 surround, but if you don't then you couldn't really tell. So this actually gives you an awareness of what you could sense in real life. Additionally, this only gives you a general idea of the direction a bullet whizzes from. It is divided into 8 directions, so you know it came from "forward-right" but not exactly which direction. This could well be one of the things we may turn off for the "realistic" mode.

Great read. Choice is the best option rather than just dumbing down, or making something too hard for some ppl.

But to come back to point 6, do we have bullet cracks this time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Liked the videos very much!!!! Can't wait to try the game myself!!!! :D

One thing though: the 1st person cover system. If I've got it right, the player presses a button to take cover and then can use Left, Right, Up, Down keys to lean in those directions. At 2:47 part2 video, he tries to lean left but it looks like the system doesn't allow to control how much you can lean left, so he doesn't see the enemy in the room.
Can someone comment on this please?

Upvote 0
i actually think the shine kinda makes it look horrid :B

I know ramm that irl you in general would know where you get shot from but the standard cod circle of where you where shot at doesnt really fit RO i think.

I think instead the part of the screen from where the bullet travels should be given a short white blur instead. Also if the person is shooting at you from behind, you shouldnt get a indicator at all unless it misses and goes in front of you, this blur could also work as a supression tool.

Upvote 0
Most of what I have seen so far fills me with confidence for a great RO2.

I like that a new graphics guru has been hired too.

I think, however (cos this wouldn't be a Nestor post without a nitpick) that the environments look a bit bogus. Smashed walls should not have charred broken edges, with wallpaper right up to the edges - not unless they are blown through by some kind of laser or plasma beam.

Go check a demolition site... smashed walls have rubble-y bits at the edges and torn wallpaper and stuff some way from the smashed bit.

Something like this, maybe: http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/030620-F-0000W-005.jpg

There should also be noticeable masonry dust every where - including on the players' helmets. Less shine moar grime pls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
6) Hit direction detection - there is nothing unrealistic about this. If a person takes damage from one side of their body they know which general direction it happened from. Also, generally in RO (HOS or Ost) you die very quickly, so unless you got shot in the arm, you usually find out which direction you are getting shot from just in time to watch the person shooting at you kill you :)

One of the best things about Ost is you need to listen to where you are getting shot from, instead of just having an on-screen indicator show you (this goes for both tanks and infantry). I really hope that this change for HOS doesn't make final release :(

Upvote 0