• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bye Bye STG

Is anyone able to find reliable statistics about the mkb42?

Even if weapon\thing X was produced between that and that, it can easily take several months before it actually appears noticably among the troops, and old stuff is to be used until supplies runs out (unless they are declared obsolete by some other reason), which applies with many weapons aswell. So even if several Mkb42s saw use, I doubt they saw use in Stalingrad or if they did (unless someone can point some evidence that they were issued in Stalingrad with SUFFICIENT numbers) it has been such limited amount that there's no real point modelling it ingame.

It's like modeling a Maus in a realism based game. As fun as it might be, I don't get the point of having one supertank which never seemed to enter action or even get assembled properly (depending on sources).

Upvote 0
They have only 2 grenades now though, and its' already a spam fest there. Now, if TWI will do as they say - aim for the realism, and actually add the right number of grenades to such assault team members, can you imagine the havoc?
They just need to be toned down to a realistic level.

Grenades need to be less point and click in their usage. Reduce their range down to the average throwing distance of 30 meters. Reduce the speed and pinpoint accuracy of every throw. Add a delay for pulling them out and pulling the second one out after a throw.

That would help deter people from using them like a primary weapon like in RO:O.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oldih, Wikipedia states that approximately 11000 mkb 42 rifles were produced. Where do you think they tested them? Shooting ranges in Germany? No, on the eastern front. It goes on to say the German soldiers approved of the weapon.

So we need reliable statistics on how many were produced in that period and how many were sent to Stalingrad.
From that we can determine how they distributed them amongst squads.

Many prototype weapons are tested directly in war zones without the need to wait for restructuring of the supply system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oldih, Wikipedia states that approximately 11000 mkb 42 rifles were produced.

And Germany had enough field gear leftover from WW1 to supply several minor nation's armies, especially entrenchment tools and such. USA had also enough leftover from WW1 to supply several nation's armies with ****, and noticable majority of them were reissued in WW2. That still doesn't mean everyone wore them.

So yes, to see if it is worth modelling or not would require very much investigating, and if there were only, E.G. 1-6 used in Stalingrad it's not really worth modelling. Even under 100 it would be too rare to have logically ingame. Add 400-600 and then we might have some reason to do so, but when it just says "sent to eastern front" it pretty much mean there was quite large area to issue them in the first place.

Upvote 0
I remember stories about using hipped MG42's to clear rooms in Stalingrad, but I don't have any references or sources to link :)

Well these guys arent afraid of hip firing them haha
LAWL
PDVD_028.jpg

PDVD_036.jpg

PDVD_050.jpg

Upvote 0
========quote=========
My wife and I spoke to Prince Alfred von Habsberg zu Hohenhausen and his wife for 1 hour at the Weekend of Heroes gathering in 2004.
A few of the questions were directly about this picture in your book. (Actually, the picture is a still (1 frame) from some period camera footage.) I asked what was the main SMG weapon he and his men used during the Stalingrad battle, he said "MP-41." I asked if any of his men were issued the MKb 42 Assault Rifles during the battle, he said he knows of none being issued or used in the units he was severing in at that time.
Then I asked about the hat he was wearing in the photo, I stated that the M-43 field cap he had on in the picture was introduced in June of 1943, 7-8 months later than the photo was hand label, he said to me "the photo must have been label wrong and could not be from the Stalingrad battle."
Sidenote: The Volgograd State panoramic museum "Stalingrad Battle" has no captured MKb 42 (or 43 version) Assault Rifles on display or in their collection.
Also, excepted for this claim have not seen one photo or written reference that the MKb 42 Assault Rifle was at the battle of Stalingrad.

As we know, there were only some stray weapons around in January and around 8 000 machine rifles first in July 1942.
So the weapon can not have existed other than as a stray test weapon at the time when the battle of Cholm occured.
The large-scale tests on the troops were carried out not until the spring of 1943, a whole year later, by the SS-division Wiking. 20 000 MKb42(H) was being delivered in April to Heeresgruppe Nord. The results from these tests were so good that three army generals recommended Hitler to start serie manufacture the weapon.
========quote=========
Some info from around the internet, trustable or not.

Upvote 0
no mg teams wont work for several reasons. 1. random public play retardness 2. there is allready a "mg team" in place by giving people 5 points for the resupply.

That is neither an mg team nor a reason mg teams won't work.

I'm sure TW will expand on the whole organization with squads and weapon teams since this is a realistic singleplayer depiction of the war. It may have to be modified to work in multi though, since no one wants to be ammo handler #3.

It'll be especially great with HMGs such as the Maxim, DshK, and tripod MG34s. Who needs a StG44 when you can mow people down 1 km away?

No you wont...people have an awefull perception of range in ro.

heh, so true. How many people would be surprised that the no man's land in Basovka is just 30m wide.

Upvote 0
There is no problems to include both. And there really should not be. But I argue as my opinion, that without historical accuracy, the game really can not be sound. The historical accuracy offers the "stage" to realistic gameplay. Of course the gameplay can be realistic without a realistic historical setting, but then it would not be a (semi)realistic war game depicting the battle of Stalingrad. But some (semi)realistic shooter about some imaginationary war.

Upvote 0
The realism we love about this game is obviously twofold.
1. is the gameplay which most players are attracted to

2.Is the historical correctness of the game, which is a special interest
area for a minority.

Right or Wrong?

id actually say that 90% of the RO vets are interested in point 2
and the biggest plus for point 2 is that even the devs are pro of point 2 ;)

this is the same point as with RO
just because the normal CoD titles are choosing gameplay over realism, doesnt mean that you can stick to realism and with a little bit extra work also get the gameplay ;)

Upvote 0
Well i think huge part of players share the same interest to ww2.
Otherwise we could just play American Army or something else.

It allways ruins my movie expirience when they have used some cheap tricks
and used modern-tanks or wrong tanks or something else which ruins the authentic of the movie, because it was too hard to get correct one.

And as its easier in gameworld to get correct tanks/weapons to correct places as you don't need to borrow them from some museum in Russia or France, it will be even more unforgivable to use wrong ones.

Thats why i like TW because they don't have that kind of "Well, 75% of consumer will not notice it so its, ok" attitude.

Upvote 0