• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Good price for a K98 mauser?

Krane65

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
At a local gun shop, I come across a K98 rifle that has no finish left on the wood and no bluing on the rifle. It is marked a Duv 42 on the barrel and I'm wondering if this is a good buy for $259?

The rifle looks like it has been through all of hell and back. I don't know if it will shoot well at all... It does have visible rifling but it's not very sharp. I can't tell if the rifle just hasn't been cleaned in 50 years or if the rifling is literally worn. Is there a possibility that I can clean the barrel thoroughly and reveal stronger rifling under all that gunk, or is the rifling likely shot out?

Any help from mauser collectors would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Depends on the condition mint they can range from 400-600 bucks or more.
Highly used can be from 100-300 bucks just depends on the seller.

In the condition you describe not so much so.Its hard to tell if the barrel is damaged or just real dirty.If the rifles can be saved it could be worth it.Unless the guy will let you attempt to clean the gun it would be a risky purchase "as is"

Mousers carry a higher price and if you pay 250-400 bucks I would make sure that the barrel is clean at least.If you search around you should be able to find a better condition gun for around the same price.

Upvote 0
Do you the serial numbers (1-6 digits usually followed by letter suffix) on teh receiver, bolt body and barrel match? Look for serial numbers on the barrel bands and magazine floorplate. If so then buy it and flip it on gun broker or gunboards for a profit. That year and code are rare and command a premium. Even in rough condition they are valued by collectors.

Upvote 0