• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting new CPU...pretty psyched!!

Fisher

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Crawley, England
So, there have been many threads stamped with my disappointment over the performance of the game...but hopefully, no longer!

Im swapping up my Phenom II X6 1075T 3.6ghz for an Intel 3570K o/c to 4.5GHz power house!!

Can't wait to get started this Friday!

Was also wondering if anyone who has had an experience with this CPU and the game could let me know how it performed?

congrats on the new cpu!
can you tell me what setting you ran on with the old cpu and what features like bloom and such you had on/off? i'm on a phenom2 x2 @3.7ghz and settings on high/ultra (cept shadows. they're on low) with most options like bloom off. i'm happy with the way it plays and get about 90fps with that cpu and a 560ti amp and 12gig of ram. that 1075t was one of the ones i was looking for as a last upgrade to my mb/cpu before i moved on.

Upvote 0
One of our systems has the 1100T with a 560ti video card and it is a smooooth playing computer with RO2. We turned off bloom, blur, with shadows back to low and foliage medium. The top 3 rows are set all the way to ultra. We get 54-60 fps as it is on a full bridges map even with smoke on screen. edit :sound is maxed too at 128 and the AA setting is one down from the maximum setting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
congrats on the new cpu!
can you tell me what setting you ran on with the old cpu and what features like bloom and such you had on/off? i'm on a phenom2 x2 @3.7ghz and settings on high/ultra (cept shadows. they're on low) with most options like bloom off. i'm happy with the way it plays and get about 90fps with that cpu and a 560ti amp and 12gig of ram. that 1075t was one of the ones i was looking for as a last upgrade to my mb/cpu before i moved on.

Pretty much ultra in everything except AA (x2 I think). I found that I didn't get very good performance with it coupled with my MSI 6950 2gb, however, after talking with some of the devs, we pretty much decided the GPU wasn't the problem. 90fps is very good! I think I was lucky to get over 40, dropping to under 30 in action, so not ideal.

However, it might perform differently with your rig...who knows? Before you think of upgrading, I'll run some tests when I get the new CPU as I'm also getting a new mobo..the old mobo i had might be what was causing the low fps, so ill get back to you :)

Upvote 0
pretty much ultra in everything except aa (x2 i think). I found that i didn't get very good performance with it coupled with my msi 6950 2gb, however, after talking with some of the devs, we pretty much decided the gpu wasn't the problem. 90fps is very good! I think i was lucky to get over 40, dropping to under 30 in action, so not ideal.

However, it might perform differently with your rig...who knows? Before you think of upgrading, i'll run some tests when i get the new cpu as i'm also getting a new mobo..the old mobo i had might be what was causing the low fps, so ill get back to you :)
thanks. I'd appreciate it.
I hope the new mb/cpu works even better than you anticipate! :D

Upvote 0
you will be pleasantly surprised. ivy bridge ftw! :p even with my 6870 i can raise the settings to mostly ultra without dropping below 50fps (vsync enabled and triple buffering set to true in the .ini). my old phenom 2 couldn't handle these settings at all (stuttering, low fps). i think having the game on ssd also helped, but the cpu should definitely do the trick.

Upvote 0
Had a Phenom x6 1090T myself. Before the game of the year edition patch the performance was horrible but after that it ran very smooth.

Switched to a 3570k some time ago and I must say you won't be disappointed. In RO2 I didn't notice too much of a difference, but in almost every other thing it's a lot faster than the phenom.

Upvote 0
what a bummer! :( if you want to fly me over, i'll hang around on monday and set it up for you while you're out. :D

Haha ;)

Had a Phenom x6 1090T myself. Before the game of the year edition patch the performance was horrible but after that it ran very smooth.

Switched to a 3570k some time ago and I must say you won't be disappointed. In RO2 I didn't notice too much of a difference, but in almost every other thing it's a lot faster than the phenom.

Good to know! I'm looking forward to trying it on Shogun 2 and Battlefield 3 as well :D

Upvote 0
Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz, all you'll ever need.

Cheap quad core that is compatible with UCC (Core Unlocker). I bought this baby and unlocked 2 additional cores and then cranked up the GHz to 3.6.

Running with a 560Ti by EVGA too.

Works like a charm on High/Ultra @ 1080P Resolution. And not a single low FPS was given that day!

Upvote 0
As much as I adore my Phenom, I am confident that with a Sandy Bridge Core I5, you will accomplish much more fps in any game over a Phenom.

I ran a Phenom 965 @ 3.6
Now I run a 960T (the old one I gave to a buddy)

The 960T is at 3.8Ghz and I tested it at 3.4Ghz

I finally got my hands on that damn crossfire cable and added my second Videocard yesterday... and I am unimpressed.

So, running a crossfire of 2x Gigabyte HD5850 factory OC

I really do not see much fps gain at all.

In RO2 I got 2 out of 4 cores maxed
In battlefield3 I got all 4 cores maxed out.

Between 3.4Ghz and 3.8 Ghz, there is easily a 5 to 10 fps difference.

On full ultra I am between 30 and 65 fps Fps spikes down to 20fps sometimes.
So I am back to a mix of high and ultra... but really not a big improvement.

:( I expected better out of a crossfire of those 2 cards.
Perhaps I will push my Phenom to 4Ghz but I don't want to risk it before that Owwkaa sounding piledriver cpu gets released.

In short, I love AMD chips, but in the end they will bottleneck very high end GPU's.
The I5's are simply in a league of their own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It has arrived people...and it's, let's say a tad bigger than I expected...as in, I opened it and immediately shouted "Holy sh**!"

The fan is the same size as a CPU used on industrial computers at aircraft simulator companies!

Safe to say, I think I'm probably going to have to get a new case. However, until then, all I see is a challenge :D

To give some idea of how big it is, here's a pen.

nkNM2.jpg

As much as I adore my Phenom, I am confident that with a Sandy Bridge Core I5, you will accomplish much more fps in any game over a Phenom.

I ran a Phenom 965 @ 3.6
Now I run a 960T (the old one I gave to a buddy)

The 960T is at 3.8Ghz and I tested it at 3.4Ghz

I finally got my hands on that damn crossfire cable and added my second Videocard yesterday... and I am unimpressed.

So, running a crossfire of 2x Gigabyte HD5850 factory OC

I really do not see much fps gain at all.

In RO2 I got 2 out of 4 cores maxed
In battlefield3 I got all 4 cores maxed out.

Between 3.4Ghz and 3.8 Ghz, there is easily a 5 to 10 fps difference.

On full ultra I am between 30 and 65 fps Fps spikes down to 20fps sometimes.
So I am back to a mix of high and ultra... but really not a big improvement.

:( I expected better out of a crossfire of those 2 cards.
Perhaps I will push my Phenom to 4Ghz but I don't want to risk it before that Owwkaa sounding piledriver cpu gets released.

In short, I love AMD chips, but in the end they will bottleneck very high end GPU's.
The I5's are simply in a league of their own.

Ah, sorry to hear that man. Its a real bummer expecting big gains with little reward :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0