• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Building First Time Liquid-Cooled PC

Bumping with an update.

Was checking things earlier today and to my surprise, my PC is suddenly missing 4GB of ram and not running in Quad Channel mode anymore.

After swapping some sticks around, it turns out my nice Asus motherboard has a dead DIMM slot. Right out of the blue I guess it just up and stopped working. So I'm stuck running basic 12GB for the time being.

I would consider sending the board in but I keep hearing bad things about Asus's handling of RMAs. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty broke ATM. Merry Christmas to me, I guess. At least running 12GB isn't terrible, it's still fairly quick. It's just not running as quickly as it could be. I mean hell I didn't even notice a difference in performance, and wouldn't have known there was an issue until I checked the readouts.

The worst part is it's the first channel slot so I can't even sacrifice some extra ram for dual channel capability. Oh well. Might just stick with it and get a totally different board sometime down the road.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its odd that it is the first slot/channel. I wasn't aware the computer would even boot without that channel being functional.

I'm sure you have done this already, but as I thought I'd run into the same problem with my son's computer I'll pass this along. It was all operator error.:eek:

I've built well over 2 dozen "from scratch" builds in the past few years, so I thought I was impervious to doing "dumb" things. I'd taken one of his DIMMs out to see what he had and then the trouble started. Long story short (i.e. much swapping around, taking memory from my comp, etc. etc)... the DIMMs simply were not seating properly in the memory slot. I repeatedly (not just once, but several times) did not properly seat one or more of the memory sticks. Asus has changed their memory slots so they only have one lever that holds them in place. Even though I was locking the lever, I was not getting the opposite end down far enough. (My eyes aren't what they used to be either.)

tldr: Just check and be sure your getting the memory card down all the way.

Memtest run?

Here's hoping its really something trivial.......:cool:

Upvote 0
Yeah it's weird. I've seated a few different sticks in the slot and it just doesn't boot with only that one set. If I set it in any of the other blue slots (the first quad channel set) it boots fine, and I can even leave ram in the bad slot and it will still boot as long as there's ram elsewhere.

I've read around and other people have had similar issues with these boards. Some people blame the Corsair ram, but I doubt that's what's causing the problem.

It's still quick without quad channel and just 12 gigs, DDR3 and all that, but it's pretty sucky that I've only had the thing for about 3 months and it's giving me crap. Shame, but I can live with it in the mean time.

Upvote 0
Water cooling is a gimmick. Good air cooling will do just as good and you don't have to worry about leaks ruining your expensive hardware.
But do as you please go spend 300 dollars on water when you can use that money for other better hardware. Ill stick to my high end air that cools even better then my last liquid that leaked.

Upvote 0