• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ouya - a $99 hackable Android game console

HeadClot

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2010
Utah, United States
Now I am not much of a console person however I am a fan of Open Source Software and 'Hackable' hardware (PC). This Ouya Console is currently making me jump for joy right now compared to the Xbox, Wii U and Playstation.

From TheVerge -

We don't often report on startups without a physical product to their name, but when you've got sponsors like Ouya does, it's hard not to pay attention. According to a posting on AngelList, Ouya has recruited the talents of Yves Behar to build a $99 Android game console that you can connect to a TV, with a high-concept developer ecosystem that's as free as can be. Any developer will be able to publish games, claims the listing, and all games will be free to play. Even the underlying hardware is "built to be hacked" — every customer who buys a retail box will get a dev kit in the bargain, the site claims.

As we alluded to earlier, though, it's not just Jawbone Jambox and One Laptop Per Child designer Yves Behar who's on board. The project's advisors also include Ed Fries of Xbox fame, Amol Sarva of Peek, Peter Pham of Color, and counts Julie Uhrman of IGN as its founder and CEO. There's also a gentleman named Muffi Ghadiali, who appears to be leaving Amazon's Lab126 where he helped ship Kindle. At $99, the Ouya would be playing in the same space as Google TV boxes like Vizio's Co-Star, but we're eager to see what games Ouya might attract. We're on the lookout for more details and hope to have them for you soon.

Source - The Verge

ouya2_gallery_post.jpg

ouya3_gallery_post.jpg

ouya1_gallery_post.jpg

What do you think about the OUYA and what has been leaked so far?

Last edited:
Dunno. The "everything will be free to play" part kind of scares me, s it can only mean three things: 1) Loads of free very low quality games, 2) loads of f2p games with microtransactions (which suck mostly), and 3) No "triple A" games on it.

But I'm still very intrigued by it, especially if it can be "hacked" (oh how stupid I think that verb is in connection to this console) to be a media center/server, and possibly a HDD recorder.

Upvote 0
Almost certainly we'd not be talking AAA titles, or Xbox360 beating hardware, i doubt this system will have much in the way of horsepower under the hood for 99 bux.

This seems far more budget-line, so rather than thinking Halo and Uncharted, this seems more geared twords emulation, app-store style titles, indie titles, flash games and that sort of thing.

That's nothing new per se, systems like that have been made before, but they were all hand-held systems of very modest computing power, things like the "Dingoo", "Pandora", "Caanoo" or "Wiz". This seems like a bigger and beefier home-console version of that type of system, and since it's running Android, and the smartphone games market has been booming for a while now, there's a lot of talent for that OS that might be very interested in making titles for a platform like this.

Upvote 0
So looks like anyone can do an android console http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/63164/mad-catz-brings-the-m-o-j-o-with-its-own-console

We did this thread die even if people here backed (including Tripwire) the project?

I heard about the MOJO. I doubt that it will have as much traction as the OUYA in terms of shear number of Developers and with a New Revision of the OUYA coming out soon... Cannot wait!

I am planning on buying a second OUYA because well there are some awesome indie games on there and mine is mainly for development purposes.

Just saw the specs for the Mad Catz MOJO -

NVIDIA Tegra 4 T40S 1.8GHz Processor
• 2GB RAM
• 16GB internal storage
• HDMI out capabilities with full 1080p resolution
• Bluetooth
• microSD Flash Slot with support for SDXC Cards up to 128GB
• Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
• Android 4.2.2 operating system

Tegra 4 and 2 GB of Ram I think that my game may very well might be on the Mojo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0