• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Guys, if instead of America it was Canada.

Spoiler!

He'd strictly be a defender, not an assailant.

Upvote 0
Ostmann I'm not going to argue with you but I would like to meet you and pick your brain. I really want to know how people like you come to be. All the harshness and violent speak must be caused by something. Maybe its the propaganda, or the lies, but I will find you and understand your condition.

Just a stab in the dark, but older sibling envy, a misguided attempt at gaining the respect of the Father figure, that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
Ostmann I'm not going to argue with you but I would like to meet you and pick your brain. I really want to know how people like you come to be. All the harshness and violent speak must be caused by something. Maybe its the propaganda, or the lies, but I will find you and understand your condition.
You mean straightforwardness? I don't candy-coat anything I say, because, frankly, that's wasting everyone's time. I'm not afraid to speak my mind.

I am not a violent person either. You could never put a gun in my hand right now on the spot and tell me to shoot someone or else they'll kill my family. Hell, I may get in the military and I might not even have the balls to pull the trigger on someone if I had to and just cower in the barracks. I don't know.
I've been around pets all my life, and I could never think of abusing one. I don't torture squirrels and pull cats' tails to see a reaction. I don't hit women, etc. I may be an avid shooter and have a fascination in the military with its orderliness, professionalism, and presentation, but I am not a violent person at all.

Just a stab in the dark, but older sibling envy, a misguided attempt at gaining the respect of the Father figure, that sort of thing.
I've had that conversation with everyone before and I've thought of ways of showing him up before. Maybe join the Marine Corps and get into MARSOC would be the way.

But that isn't my goal, because I don't need the respect of any of them. I want to be a grunt in the Army and ship off. That's it.

My father doesn't approve of me wanting to join the military anyway, so he's not supportive. I've been looking to get out of the house and get shipped off so I can get away from my messed up family situation and start my life. I have no intentions of having close family connections while I'm in the military (again, subject to change though; I cannot predict the future). I've deeply examined myself and I can definitely tell you it's not older sibling envy or trying to get the attention of the father. Getting his attention is usually a bad thing and leads to arguments and lots of difficulties.

Upvote 0
Okay, well, it's obviously proven you didn't read any of my past posts now, but I do have a job. I can't afford to move into a place, and even if I could, I'm not going to live there for a year just to then leave.
Well sorry but if you say that your family situation sucks and is hindering you to start your proper own life then how ffs does it make sense to give up everything in order to have even less of a life and be stationed in some foreign crap country where everybody is miserable and your comrades fart in your face in the morning? That's why I think you haven't seen the bright side of life because then you'd know that there are so many better things to do. Besides I'm pretty sure you have completely unrealistic expectations of military life. Also if you've been rejected 4x that might just be another sign that this is not what you're destined for and should instead grow some balls and do something that is not utterly pointless.

Upvote 0
i have no desire to deeply analise ppl's attitudes or behaviour on this forums - if for no other reason than i would not want to appear rude - but i would imagine it's more like a willingness to stand up to perceived threats/fears, at a local and national level.

Whether or not these fears are rational or exaggarated by propaganda is another issue - but if you believe them that desire to face them isn't such a bad thing in my book.
True an interest in soldiering and firearms means you will face them aggressively - but someone has to.
It's politicians that should be held to account for creating an unnecessary climate of fear - which is of course something that they have been doing for years to help keep eveyone in line.

In short - despite some strange opinions i think this guy gets more stick than he deserves on these forums - at a risk of sounding patronising.

Upvote 0
Well sorry but if you say that your family situation sucks and is hindering you to start your proper own life...
Wow...where in the hell did you come to that conclusion? My ear condition is hindering me from starting my life, not my family.
...then how ffs does it make sense to give up everything in order to have even less of a life and be stationed in some foreign crap country where everybody is miserable and your comrades fart in your face in the morning? That's why I think you haven't seen the bright side of life because then you'd know that there are so many better things to do. Besides I'm pretty sure you have completely unrealistic expectations of military life. Also if you've been rejected 4x that might just be another sign that this is not what you're destined for and should instead grow some balls and do something that is not utterly pointless.
I hope you don't think I think soldiering is 100% gung ho shoot 'em up. From what I've been told, it's a lot of hurry up and waiting, bull**** that doesn't make sense, doing things you don't want to do, doing stupid things you know are stupid but can't do anything about, ****ting in plastic bags, walking for 10 hours a day with 40 lbs of gear and not even see the muzzle of another weapon, etc. I have no illusions that I could never even see combat in my life, but it's been my life dream to join. I pay very much attention, almost too much attention to detail, appearance, impression, attitude, etc. Something like marching and running in cadence is very enjoyable to me (can't comment on ruck marches as I've never done one), as I love being in step, the coordination, the punctuation, the camaraderie, and the orderliness. You'll never see my tie off-center, my lapel pin off-angle, a screwed up gig line, pants that aren't pressed, shirts that aren't ironed, shoes that aren't shined, etc. In the same sense, you will rarely find punctual or spelling errors in any of my writing, whether it be instant messaging, forum boards, or essays. I take pride in that. I feel the military will be a good fit for me in this aspect.

Just because starting pay before taxes is $16,000 doesn't mean it would make my life less than it is. It's better than me falling asleep in every class at college, and I would be accomplishing my life goal. If I don't like it, I leave six years later and find something else. What's better than being happy?

I get my ear surgery May 14, and the Army hearing standard states I cannot apply for service until 120 days afterwards. The day I will be fit for service happens to be September 11. Coincidence? Yes. Sign? Possibly.

Growing balls is me not giving up after being denied for the past two years and searching every avenue. Giving up and doing something else would be like retracting my damn balls.

i have no desire to deeply analise ppl's attitudes or behaviour on this forums - if for no other reason than i would not want to appear rude - but i would imagine it's more like a willingness to stand up to perceived threats/fears, at a local and national level.

Whether or not these fears are rational or exaggarated by propaganda is another issue - but if you believe them that desire to face them isn't such a bad thing in my book.
True an interest in soldiering and firearms means you will face them aggressively - but someone has to.
It's politicians that should be held to account for creating an unnecessary climate of fear - which is of course something that they have been doing for years to help keep eveyone in line.

In short - despite some strange opinions i think this guy gets more stick than he deserves on these forums - at a risk of sounding patronising.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

Upvote 0
Wow...where in the hell did you come to that conclusion? My ear condition is hindering me from starting my life, not my family.

I hope you don't think I think soldiering is 100% gung ho shoot 'em up. From what I've been told, it's a lot of hurry up and waiting, bull**** that doesn't make sense, doing things you don't want to do, doing stupid things you know are stupid but can't do anything about, ****ting in plastic bags, walking for 10 hours a day with 40 lbs of gear and not even see the muzzle of another weapon, etc. I have no illusions that I could never even see combat in my life, but it's been my life dream to join. I pay very much attention, almost too much attention to detail, appearance, impression, attitude, etc. Something like marching and running in cadence is very enjoyable to me (can't comment on ruck marches as I've never done one), as I love being in step, the coordination, the punctuation, the camaraderie, and the orderliness. You'll never see my tie off-center, my lapel pin off-angle, a screwed up gig line, pants that aren't pressed, shirts that aren't ironed, shoes that aren't shined, etc. In the same sense, you will rarely find punctual or spelling errors in any of my writing, whether it be instant messaging, forum boards, or essays. I take pride in that. I feel the military will be a good fit for me in this aspect.

Just because starting pay before taxes is $16,000 doesn't mean it would make my life less than it is. It's better than me falling asleep in every class at college, and I would be accomplishing my life goal. If I don't like it, I leave six years later and find something else. What's better than being happy?

I get my ear surgery May 14, and the Army hearing standard states I cannot apply for service until 120 days afterwards. The day I will be fit for service happens to be September 11. Coincidence? Yes. Sign? Possibly.

Growing balls is me not giving up after being denied for the past two years and searching every avenue. Giving up and doing something else would be like retracting my damn balls.
Well, sounds reasonable enough except for that September 11th thing. I still believe that you just don't know any better. But there's no point trying to convince you if you're 100% convinced of what you're saying. You'll get your own impressions and then see whether you were horribly wrong or if it actually really suits you.

What will you do though if they'd still reject you after that operation? Got any "second plans"? As in anything else that interests you which you could combine with a job?

Upvote 0
Well, sounds reasonable enough except for that September 11th thing. I still believe that you just don't know any better. But there's no point trying to convince you if you're 100% convinced of what you're saying. You'll get your own impressions and then see whether you were horribly wrong or if it actually really suits you.

What will you do though if they'd still reject you after that operation? Got any "second plans"? As in anything else that interests you which you could combine with a job?
Exactly. If I don't like it, I'll have to suck it up for 6 years and then move on.

I'm willing to get another surgery after this if they disqualify me for something else. If they still reject me, then my backup plan would probably be being a state trooper.

Upvote 0
Any of you guys ever attend a wedding with inflatable bouncy castles and stuff? I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do.

That sounds like a huge thing, kinda like the wedding in Godfather 1. Luckily I have been spared from such an event through the mutual benefits of having a limited family circle and from the various feuds between those few family members preventing them from gathering except through very grave circumstances (read = burials, and it seems longevity is also a family brand, thus there havent been too many of those these last couple of decades).

Upvote 0
Any of you guys ever attend a wedding with inflatable bouncy castles and stuff? I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do.

Well, I was going to say "Ostman", just do what you want, np...
Me, I'm going to Paris next week, gonna *uck dem french engravers....
& I don't care...

@AsoBit, if it bounces, it's good......

:D.......:eek:.......:D.......:eek:........:D.........bounce,bounce,bounce,itzzs good...

Upvote 0